PDA

View Full Version : Smash that Zumo 550 !

Backroader
15-06-09, 12:06
I have a Zumo 550 with 2008 mapping and the way I feel at the moment it would give me great pleasure to pulverise it with a bloody great mallet.

I'm assuming it is operator error as I just don't seem to be able get the hang of it however much I read up.

I avoid motorways and A roads like the plague and I cut across country on B roads and lanes. I set up a route on Mapsource and after about 10 miles of an 80 mile route it went haywire. I was on the correct route, stopped for a P, started up again and it kept telling me to "drive to highlighted route"........but I was actually on the flippin route !

I was out in the sticks so then thought I will press to "go home" but it just told me to drive to a main road about 15 miles away, but did not tell me how to get there. Satellite signal was fine and home address/postcode correct. I have it set to avoid big roads, go shortest route etc. Call me a thicko, dinloe, cretin anything you like but I just cannot suss it out.

Is it actually designed only for main road use. Can it handle a complicated route ?

What I really wanted to ask was is there some nice person out there in the North Hants area (with a lot of hair !) who would be willing to lend me a few hours to show me the ropes. Compensation to be discussed.

Bumpkin
15-06-09, 14:57
Sounds to me like it's running off the basemap, this is a very coarse map of Europe, major roads only. Maybe your main map is either corrupted or you've managed to disable it via the menus.

The Zumo is a very capable GPS, takes a little getting used to the way it works though.

Tomcat
15-06-09, 15:26
Sure, it will handle complicated routes - thats why people buy the Zumo ;).

Some things it won't do by itself though - it won't find you a nice twisty back road route home. On the Zumo itself you have only the option of 'shortest' or 'fastest'. So if you tell it to route you home, it will probably come up with something mostly on main roads. You can plan a twisty route on the Zumo using via points, but it is quicker to do the route planning in Mapsource on a PC if available.

If you're running a pre-planned route, it is usually better to turn off the 'route recalculation' function on the Zumo. This will stop it from recalculating a carefully planned route if you stray off. If you do stray off route, zoom out a bit and just use the map display to ride back to the route.

When you stopped for a pee, you almost certainly left your preplanned route. If you were not zoomed in on the map display it might have looked as though you were still on route, whereas in fact you were stopped at a public loo. So the Zumo was trying to get you back to the route, probably a few yards from where you actually were.

Persevere with it - there's loads of "How to" guides on this site and on www.zumoforums.com. BTW, you still need to use common sense - if it routes you down some unlikely looking goat track you don't have to obey it. Zoom out a bit and see if it is trying to take you on an unfeasible shortcut.

Backroader
16-06-09, 08:14
Tomcat - when I stopped for a P it was only 5 yards off the route.
You have answered one query for me though - that I should set re-calculation to off when on a pre-planned route.

What I do not understand is why when I set it to "go home" did it tell me to ride to a main road many miles away, yet not tell me how to get there ?
You are sort of localish, being Woking way, I was in Medstead the other side of Alton and it was telling me to ride to the A325, miles away, but without any instructions at all. It just said it was re-calculating all the time. Got to be something I am doing wrong.

Backroader
16-06-09, 08:18
I should have mentioned my "home" destination was Bordon, Hants.

Bumpkin
16-06-09, 08:30
What I do not understand is why when I set it to "go home" did it tell me to ride to a main road many miles away, yet not tell me how to get there ?

To me this says it's navigating from the base map not the detailed mapping, especially if plotting a route on the unit results in only main roads being used where lesser roads would make the journey considerably shorter/quicker.

The fact that it's directing you to a main road but not actually providing directions along the lesser roads again backs up this theory. Are the lesser roads showing up on the screen or not?

Backroader
16-06-09, 11:56
Bumpkin - There were absolutely no small detailed roads shown when I was on "go home" mode.

This is difficult for me as I do not know what I am on about but why is that. How do I get back the detailed maps. Am I pressing the wrong buttons ? I brought the unit second hand and I've only used it a few times.

Is there a nightschool class for this (joke).

Aidan1150
16-06-09, 12:10
Check also which route preferences you have set your Zumo at, ie whether you prefer main roads or country roads. It may be that the unit is directing you to main A roads as that what it has been "told" to do.

Bumpkin
16-06-09, 12:47
I brought the unit second hand and I've only used it a few times.

Ahhh... previous owner has probably buggered it up for you then. I think it can be quite easy to mess up the primary mapping data on the Zumo as you can access the file system directly.

When you say you can't see the minor roads are you zoomed in quite close rather than viewing from a great altitude? Detail increases the more zoomed in you are.

If you don't have the Zumo manual the go here to download it (http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/1369_OwnersManual.pdf), go to page 41 and follow the instructions to view Map Info, you should see something like 'City Navigator NT Europe', if that's not checked then there's your problem, check it by tapping it on screen. If it's not there at all or checked then have an issue as it's either missing or corrupted.

You can regenerate the mapping data if you have the City Nav install disk and the unlock code, you do have these don't you? Let's get to the root of the problem before going any further though as regenerating your 'gmapprom.img' will take me a while to explain.

Popeye
16-06-09, 13:07
All good sound advice Bumpkin.

Just a thought, if the maps are correctly loaded it could be that the map detail is set too low.

Bumpkin
16-06-09, 13:17
Just a thought, if the maps are correctly loaded it could be that the map detail is set too low.

Surely he'd get routing instructions to the main road then though.

Sounds like it's behaving like the normal mapping does when you're off the road, say in car park or field. Just on a bigger scale. Hence my suggestion that it's only running off the basemap.

Backroader
17-06-09, 08:13
Thanks very much Bumpkin I will try what you say.

I've a feeling something might be amiss as when "go home" mode did not work I tried typing in the name of my local town and it did not exist. I tried garage/hotel and got zero.

I'll report back next week as I am off on a mini tour - using the good old fashioned maps !

949BFN
20-06-09, 05:53
I have a Zumo 550 with 2008 mapping and the way I feel at the moment it would give me great pleasure to pulverise it with a bloody great mallet.

You're not alone: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=33563.0

By the way, I'm happy with my Zumo 550 and can't be without it.

Backroader
22-06-09, 12:19
Update !

This is weird - Turned on the Zumo last night and checked for local garages/hotels etc to see what was listed and there were none at all. Then I deleted some routes I had copied over from mapsource, turned it off and on again and lo and behold everything seems fine now.

Then tried riding my mapsource route that started this thread and it was more or less ok. I mean that twice in about 30 miles I came to crossroads where the map showed to go straight over but the instructions were to turn left. As soon as I did turn left it said I was off route. The cross roads were not staggered and were directly straight opposite.

Also I noticed that it told me to "go left on Telegraph lane".......when in fact I was on a piece of road where my next turning was about 3 miles away. I was actually on Telegraph lane itself which did have lots of junctions along it's path but I knew I had to go to the end and ignore any turnings. I found that a bit confusing to be on a lane that it was telling me to turn off of (sorry this might not make sense).

Bumpkin
22-06-09, 12:44
It doesn't take much of a stagger in x-roads to get the old 'turn left then right'. A few yards will do it, that's all.

There are some weird instructions sometimes, or even the lack of them:

I was confused by a turning off a main road a while back, concentrating on my riding there was a sharp corner with a side road going straight on. As soon as I rounded the bend my Garmin started bleating "off route, recalculating", my actual route was down the side road but the GPS saw that as straight on and not worth a mention despite it being a turning off a main A road onto a minor road. When confronted with such junctions on unfamiliar routes I now take a brief glance at the screen to confirm.

Apparently TomToms do similar.

Backroader
22-06-09, 16:26
Maybe the techheads who set it all up do not pay as much attention to the details of small roads.

One last question for you Bumpkin as you seem very knowledgable........

Let's say I am on a route I have set up on Mapsource, with several via points, and I go off route and ask it to recalculate. Does it recalculate to the next via point or does it recalculate the whole route to the final destanation ?

Bumpkin
22-06-09, 17:26
Let's say I am on a route I have set up on Mapsource, with several via points, and I go off route and ask it to recalculate. Does it recalculate to the next via point or does it recalculate the whole route to the final destanation ?
Hmmm... I know if you ignore directions it'll eventually give up and direct you to the next point. Not sure if it would do that if it's a proper way-point rather than a routing node (when you drag a route to another road to make it comply with your wishes).

I don't know what 'intelligence' is built into the routing algorithm that dictates at which point it gives up and goes to the next node/way-point. ISTR that TomTom insists that you visit every point unless you choose to ignore it using the menus.

I tend to plan my routes and only use proper way-points for places I must go to (lunch stop or destination hotel for instance), the rest are just routing nodes. Sometimes my routes are just a start, an end and several routing nodes.