Evening All !!

old-man-andy

Reaction score
Another fresh-faced (ahem!) GS-er joining the fold.........I I'll be picking up my '08 F650GS on Saturday.

Spent a couple of weeks hovering around the forum while I was testing various replacements for my Triumph TT600.

The DL650 V-Strom was the first to be crossed off the list as the local Suzook dealer didn't have a demo bike and wasn't in the slightest bit interested in the prospect of a sale......

The F650GS (single) got crossed off next as it sent my vision blurred at 40mph/4000rpm - bit of hindrance on the commute.........

Kawasaki Versys was next to get crossed off - a pretty good bike but mirrors vibrated so badly you couldn't see anything behind you and I kept bashing my shins on the footpegs.......

Which left the new F650GS - Two test rides sealed it, and I've found a tidy one at a dealer in Stratford-upon-Avon. All it needs is an end can and some handguards.

Can't wait until Saturday................:D

Welcome and congrats on the new bike, you'll love it.

But, in thinking all you'll need is an end can and handguards, you are making a classic "new to GSes" mistake.

If you think it's not then at no point should you ever visit www.touratech.co.uk or www.nippynormans.com

Welcome along...great news about the new bike....get out there and enjoy it!!

Tis true...the farkling will come upon you...no way round that one....:JB

Farkling is an American term. It means "to add accessories or adapt". In Britain we call it "throwing good money at something which almost certainly doesn't need it, but do because we can", but that's a bit long.

Ummmmmmm:mmmm ?
American term...And I thought BMW`s were German :blast.
Is there not a German (or British) word we can use ?

Sounds like "farkling" is for Harley riders.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I know I'm gonna enjoy the bike.

As for accessories, well, they're only a credit card purchase away from TT or NN, or some other purveyor of goodies..........could be expensive :blast.

Previous owners have already bestowed alloy front and rear brake fluid reservoir protectors, NN high screen (which wobbles) and a larger rear brake pedal thingy (correct technical term????) for those rear wheel skids (when ABS switched off of course :D).

I am lucky enough to have generous family who chipped-in for a birthday pressie for a weekend at the BMW Off Road School last year. I did the weekend on the F800GS which was amazing. We also had a session on 1200GSA, G650 X-Country and X-Challange. Without doubt, my favourite was the F800, which had the right mix of power, balance and lack of weight, that allowed this 10 stone weakling to feel like a riding god when not picking it up many, many times!!

Cheers
Andy

Just so you know, the 800 is only a few bags of Tate & Lyle's finest lighter than the 1200.

Just so you know, the 800 is only a few bags of Tate & Lyle's finest lighter than the 1200.

Yeah, about 20 bags worth, isn't it?

The 800 and 1200 are simply very different bikes, aren't they? I think the 800 just suited me more than the 1200. I certainly wouldn't say "no" to having to do the BMW Off Road School all over again on a 1200!!!

hey up, welcome to the site fella :thumb
im sure you will beaming like a child once you pick up your new toy.
just get out on her and get some miles on it :thumb

Back
Top Bottom