Recommended Insurers for Instructors

BBB61

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do two days a month of instructing with an ATB in addition to my full time job. I have found declaring this activity causes all sorts of problems with insurers with many refusing to cover me, even though I am doing CBT's with the majority of my time spent off the bike and on a training pad. I am very keen to hear from fellow tossers in a similar position to me and who they use for their insurance. I am currently insured through the BMW scheme.

Another question that arose today when getting a quote from Carole Nash was that they wanted to see a copy of the ATB's public liability insurance certificate. That's the first time I have ever been asked for thid. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

my personal motor insurance is with AXA. covers me to instruct.
got a PI / PL insurance with the D.I.A. (approx £100 per annum) and yes, AXA asked me if i had this / didn't require 'evidence' just the 'declaration'

d.i.a. here;

http://www.driving.org/

i did a quick search for AXA - but can find no direct links that are any help if you're in the U.K. :nenau

Good Luck

oh - when i was with carole nash - got a similar deal on the motor insewerance

Carole Nash put my part time instructing down as buisness use. Cost approx £20 extra. They did not ask for any info on PI/PL.

Yes, I told them I did instructing part time for both cbt and das. They didnt seem worried by this at all. No doubt it depends on who you speak to? Prior to CN, I am pretty sure I had the same arrangement with 'bmw' insurance with no issues and a small increase in premiums that reflected cover for buisness use.
At the end of the day the ATB will have the 'pupils' bikes covered insurance wise and we are just using our own bikes for 'buisness'.
I have never really thought about the need for PL insurance, as I assume the ATB will have this covered. Maybe I need to check!?

Last edited:
Ogmios, thanks for the link to the DIA, much appreciated.:thumb2

Fatnfast, I'm with BMW insurance at the moment and they are not bothered at all about my part time occupation, but the lady I spoke to at Carole Nash on Friday was telling me that she coudn't get a online quote and would have to go through the underwriters! Considering the bike is parked up for most of the time I do a CBT I am at a loss to see what their problem is!

DIA & Bennetts

Bob -- Ogmios is spot on, DIA's public liability is invaluable & very cheap - £60 pa - and my Bennetts policy covers my business use.

As my business is advanced riding coaching, I've obviously declared that - they seemed not to have a problem - BUT, it seems to depend on who you get on the day, as to how they respond. You can only give it a punt.

Also, as I have a multi bike policy, the cover is operative whichever bike I'm using at the time - on or off-road.

All the best, Jim.

i am amazed that a resident of R.O.I. (Rip Off Ireland :rolleyes:) is advising on insewerance issues to a resident of the U.K..... and actually being some use! :eek:

glad the info was some help. :thumb2

Aunty Carole finally quoted me just over £700, and to get that quote I would also need to fit an alarm to one of the bikes:eek: But if they put me in as a voluntary instructor the figure came down to just over £300!

Back
Top Bottom