A9 Inverness: Nigg ferry - interesting detour.

Klanky

Reaction score
If you're wandering up or down the A9 North of Inverness and want an interesting little detour, take the Nigg ferry.

It's at the end of a nice country lane run (if you take the back road) and gives you the chance to visit nice little places like Portmahomack, Balintore, Cromarty and Fortrose.

The ferry only carries two cars (or four motorbikes) and is ...er...in need of some TLC....:D

You drive onto the landing craft-style front end and then the bikes are turned around on a hydraulic turntable so you're pointing in the right direction at the other end.

Unfortunately, I think the turntable bearings sound like they've not been greased since the Normandy landings...in fact it sounds very much like the noise you'd get if you attached a rope to a GS and dragged it sideways up a cobbled street behind a truck....and the hull appears to be a collection of holes held together with rust......

Brilliant fun and only a fiver per bike. Goes every half-hour ish.

Photie taken on it yesterday.

Attachments

• Image012a.jpg
    Image012a.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 402
Pah!

Call that a ferry?

THIS is a ferry.

P1010079-1.jpg

:comfort

Mmmm.. I saw that after we parted company after GOTC and thought about it but I was a man on a mission so decided against:( so maybe next time :):)

If you're wandering up or down the A9 North of Inverness and want an interesting little detour, take the Nigg ferry.

It's at the end of a nice country lane run (if you take the back road) and gives you the chance to visit nice little places like Portmahomack, Balintore, Cromarty and Fortrose.

The ferry only carries two cars (or four motorbikes) and is ...er...in need of some TLC....:D

You drive onto the landing craft-style front end and then the bikes are turned around on a hydraulic turntable so you're pointing in the right direction at the other end.

Unfortunately, I think the turntable bearings sound like they've not been greased since the Normandy landings...in fact it sounds very much like the noise you'd get if you attached a rope to a GS and dragged it sideways up a cobbled street behind a truck....and the hull appears to be a collection of holes held together with rust......

Lol it that still running :eek:

The ferry might be shite but it's better than the paint job on that bike :eek: Nae wunder the ticket boy had tae put his shades on sharpish!

ha, its a great 'ferry'. I took a Honda Civic 'spaceship' on it last week. When heading towards Cromarty, the guy in the big Merc next to us tried not to look bothered as they spun the cars round with mm to spare between the Merc and the boat. Having gotten out of the car to watch the cars being turned made me wince as it looked like an insurance claim was on the cards and gotta admit the guy operating the turntable look as concerned as I was :)

BTW: After leaving Cromarthy we took the 'high' road, saw the lower coast road and took the next available right turn. Oh pooh sticks, I wouldn't even want to take a GS down the 'road'.

The ferry might be shite but it's better than the paint job on that bike :eek: Nae wunder the ticket boy had tae put his shades on sharpish!

Philistine.

He was dazzled by the sheer skill and interpretation of the Viking theme of the paintwork.

And by the Viking bird with big tits on the R/H side.

Anyone know when this ferry packs in for the winter?
I'm planning a ride up there,first week in Oct. Their website seems to be AWOL.

Back
Top Bottom