Can anyone make frames for soft panniers?

DavidJames

Reaction score
I picked up a set of Ortlieb throwover panniers to use on my X-challenge, but without any support they are likely to end up in the back wheel:blast

Dirtbagz do a set of frames for their panniers, but they are about 100 GBP and need to come from the US - so could work out more.

Are there any tossers that could make something like the frames seen in this thread on AdvRider:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8002992#post8002992

These are my panniers

Attachments

• MotorSaddleBag.jpg
    MotorSaddleBag.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,984
make your own, 1'' flat bar, cut the bar in the shape you need, bolt it together.

as your going with soft panniers, all you need to support is the sides and underneath, as they wot be holding the weight like hard panniers.

fairly straight forward.

biggest difficulty will be finding mounting points on the bike.

arms and the man.....

find an office chair with removable arms.
remove them :rolleyes:
turn upside down. (the arms - not you!)

now with a little lateral thinking....make bracketry to fit. :thumb2

Attachments

• chairarms.jpg
    chairarms.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 665
After thinking about it a bit, I think some 3mm steel bars could do the trick with some bending and bolting :thumb

Like elevensies says, they are not taking too much weight as such they just need to add support. The mounting points are already there so just need to work out the shapped and get bending.........oh and buy the metal first!!

After thinking about it a bit, I think some 3mm steel bars could do the trick with some bending and bolting :thumb

Like elevensies says, they are not taking too much weight as such they just need to add support. The mounting points are already there so just need to work out the shapped and get bending.........oh and buy the metal first!!

Pictures of my DirtBagz rails without the bags,

Nothing much too them really. Extra bit on right hand side to protect from zorst.

They are not on the bike at the mo but if you want a close up of them I can sort it tomorrow fro you.

Paul

Attachments

• db lefty.jpg
    db lefty.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 610
  • d bag r.jpg
    d bag r.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 602
Just a bit of application required and you can make them yersen ;)

Just making some for Sue's TTR250R for the overland to India. The piccies show the home made ones in the early stages... now finished and powder coated... they're stronger than I thought they might be, and can always be repaired on the road.

Just shows what can be done with a bit of application :thumb

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Pannier support-1.jpg
    Pannier support-1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Pannier support-2.jpg
    Pannier support-2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 600
lateral bodgery

Nice one Og, thanks. :thumb

yer welcome :thumb
many probably thought i was taking the pith :rolleyes: but i looked into this ages ago when i had the same problem.
pick the right chair arms, and it works well, just making the mounts to the Bikes frame is the fiddly bit - it even looks 'perfessional' :D

Not at all but you should of seen the look on my managers face when I dismantled his chair :D

:green gri Heeheehee - yeah, i can picture that :D

ahem.
in all seriousness (seriousness?! - me :confused:)
due to my job, i come across a lot of old office furniture / electrical / p.c. junk etc.
if anyone wants arms to try out - let me know. i can find a selection to choose from and post pics.
N.B: postage will be the only issue - as they are heavy for what they are.

~~
Og,
Arms dealer :eek

Years ago I had an XT 600 and made soft pannier supports from 2 lengths of 10mm threaded steel bar. one end bolted ( using a nut either side of hole as bar is already threaded) into side of rear subframe and then bent into a U shape similar to size of bagster soft panniers and other end of bar bolting back into another part of the subframe. Same story for other side and then wrapped the threaded parts of bar which contacted the panniers with a couple of layers of insulation tape to prevent the trhreads chafing the bags. Cheap as chips and worked a treat with no sign of movement despite long distance touring fully loaded.

Back
Top Bottom