Swap to a XCountry from the XChallenge?

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had a G650 XChallenge for the last 2 years and last weekend I rode the XCountry and thought it was great.................should I swap the XChallenge for the XCountry??

The XCountry was a better handler on the road, how's it for trail riding?

Johhny, if u do decide to change i may well be interested in your X challenge if its going up for sale, fancy a change from my KTM 525,
Hows the leg by the way following the Llangollen weekend

ferret

I had one for a few weeks whilst the HP2 was in for repair and loved it, mine had ABS, was good on fuel, very agile and and all in all great fun. I was always impressed with it's on road cornering ability and you could really throw it in to bends, somehow it reminded me of when I was a 17 year old riding a Yam. Off road I only went along a local fire track but it was again fine.

:thumb2

Anyone else tried a XCountry??

I've got one, but for road work only. Haven't had it long so only got initial impressions (I had a F650GS before). Seems to me that BMW made 3 bikes for 3 purposes. You need to decide where your priorities are and that will make the selection easier.

As for opinions on this bike. Seems livelier than the F650GS, which is surprising for just 3 bhp extra. Fuel consumption is pretty much the same IE exceptional!

What else is there to say? You've got the XCh so are there any specific questions relating to the XCo? I guess the main difference is feet touching the floor, and a (reasonably) comfortable seat.

I would be really interested to know why you are thinking this JB?

I had an X-C that I didn't try offroad and sold on straight away as I knew the height would defeat me on trails. I am still thinking of a lower dual sport and see no reason why a X-Country couldn't be made such a thing :nenau

(psst, I know we shouldn't believe these things but BM market it as a 'scrambler')

I had a X Challenge on the WMB Off Road Skills thingy - thought it was more than competent.

Had a 10 min blast on a X Country and tried to ride it like the X Challenge and scared myself silly TBH.

Andres

Anyone else tried a XCountry??

Tried one for size this very day JB :eek:

When I next 'downsize' I will probably go for the XCountry :thumb

BMW, Wunderlich and Touratech do bits for it, looks to me like a great likkle 'bike :thumb2

:beerjug:

Just borrowed a X-Country as a service "loan bike" - it's strange !

Seems like the front has fallen off, after the F650GS twin; the small front wheel feels twitchy, but it goes and stops just fine, when you get used to the single-cylinder engine...

Being a shortarse, I had trouble getting my leg over (!) while getting off. The sidestand seems quite long, and if you try to put it down while still astride the bike, it hits the deck. So I struggle off, then find on uneven ground, it's difficult to set the sidestand so the thing is leaning sufficiently, not to fall over... or is it just me ? :confused:

I do remember the sidestand being awkward to get at when I was seated on the bike but otherwise it was fine. I am 6'2" so the bike felt like a low rider to me after the HP2 even with everything wound up as high as possible.

I reckon they would make great commuter/moderate off roaders with very little imagination :thumb

I would be really interested to know why you are thinking this JB?

I had an X-C that I didn't try offroad and sold on straight away as I knew the height would defeat me on trails. I am still thinking of a lower dual sport and see no reason why a X-Country couldn't be made such a thing :nenau

(psst, I know we shouldn't believe these things but BM market it as a 'scrambler')

Although I only rode the bike on the road, having a normal rear shock on the bike made it far better

The seat height on the XChallenge isn't the issue..................it's how the rear airshock works (or doesn't).

When you take your bum off the seat (to stand on the pegs).................the airshock rises and extends....................so when you need to take a dab offroad and take your feet off the peg to do it, the seat height is back at it's highest.............meaning unless you re-sit back onto the seat, you can't get your foot down:mad:

Plus the easy fitment of a screen to the XChallenge would be nice, as the options are limited

Just borrowed a X-Country as a service "loan bike" - it's strange !

Seems like the front has fallen off, after the F650GS twin; the small front wheel feels twitchy, but it goes and stops just fine, when you get used to the single-cylinder engine...

Being a shortarse, I had trouble getting my leg over (!) while getting off. The sidestand seems quite long, and if you try to put it down while still astride the bike, it hits the deck. So I struggle off, then find on uneven ground, it's difficult to set the sidestand so the thing is leaning sufficiently, not to fall over... or is it just me ? :confused:

I'll just contradict myself, as Murray Walker would say...

It's at least a 20" front rim, so my mistake - and it's the stepped seat, combined with the suspension rising, that catches me out while dismounting.

What I need is longer legs!

The seat height on the XChallenge isn't the issue.......When you take your bum off the seat (to stand on the pegs).................the airshock rises and extends
Eh?
Surely all your weight is still through the frame.
Or is the seat seperately suspended:nenau

Oh, and stop prattling on about 650s and get the HP you really want :D

We had an x-c (Mark Hatto from here) on a trip in Morocco and it did very well....impressive little beasty (the bike, as well as Mark :D)

Eh?
Surely all your weight is still through the frame.
Or is the seat seperately suspended:nenau

Oh, and stop prattling on about 650s and get the HP you really want :D

Sort of.................It is hard to explain

But the chassis with a normal shock felt excellent on the XCo

I have a f800GS and a XCountry.
For some reason I always take the XCountry for Commuting and also if go off roading for a day or less.
I first rode one during my first visit to the ORS in Wales in October and I absolutely had to have one after that :augie. It still impresses me everyday the balance in the bike is sort of like in a trail bike for me so navigating through nasty trails is quite easy.
I have installed TKCs alu bash plate, crash bars and hand guards.

Back
Top Bottom