Corrosion of Character

mozzup

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to buy a 1150 (pocket depth) in the very near future. looking to poot around UK and visit rels in Spain. This will be with missus and camping gear.

Just wondering what the main differences are between GS and GSA (searched forums honest, well a tad :augie) , how to tell them apart, and which might be better for us. BTW I'm 6'1"

Had a few bikes over the last 30yrs of riding e.g. z1000's, vmax, exup, tenere (spl) etc etc, but am looking for something more appropriate for mile munching, have looked at V-strom and vallderama (you know what I mean), and had a salesman trying to get to buy a bandit 1250, but told him I want something with a bit of... character! I think the 1150 might just fit the bill :bounce1

Cheers all
Mos

I don't know all the differences, but larger tank, shorter first gear, taller & longer travel suspension, one piece seat and maybe ordinary 6th gear instead of overdrive.

They are a bit more expensive like for like. I haven't ever ridden the GSA (not the 1150 anyway) so I can't give a comparison.
I own a W reg 1150GS. I've just done a week long 2000 mile tour down to the lakes of Northern Italy with my wife and three luggage cases and it was great.

I'm 6'3" and 14st 10lb.

I have an MRA Vario screen, Ohlins suspension and use an Airhawk seat cushion.

No complaints with comfort (including pillion), handling, brakes, pulling power etc:thumb

You're right about the character by the way, lovely grunty air cooled engine

Hi all

Looking to buy a 1150 (pocket depth) in the very near future. looking to poot around UK and visit rels in Spain. This will be with missus and camping gear.

Just wondering what the main differences are between GS and GSA (searched forums honest, well a tad :augie) , how to tell them apart, and which might be better for us. BTW I'm 6'1"

Had a few bikes over the last 30yrs of riding e.g. z1000's, vmax, exup, tenere (spl) etc etc, but am looking for something more appropriate for mile munching, have looked at V-strom and vallderama (you know what I mean), and had a salesman trying to get to buy a bandit 1250, but told him I want something with a bit of... character! I think the 1150 might just fit the bill :bounce1
Cheers all
Mos
hi there i have just gone over to 1150GS had it 2 months and very happy too, much the same as yourself im 2 up with camping comforts and no probs so far. IM 6.2 and find it very comfortable just done the 1k in 24 hrs and went for a pint when I got home. Its a great all rounder. Last bike ST1300 pan and every bit as good, 1150GS gets my vote:beer:

Gs1100

Cheers both, if my pockets turn out to shallower (spl?) than I first surmised. How would an 1100 stack up? Enough power two up etc? Can 50cc make that much difference?

Cheers both, if my pockets turn out to shallower (spl?) than I first surmised. How would an 1100 stack up? Enough power two up etc? Can 50cc make that much difference?

non, its jus got less gears

Many prefer the 1100, me, I love my 1150, had an ADV but prefer the std with a larger tank. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter which one you buy, just make your first ride 200 miles+ to settle in :thumb2

I also have an anciant R1100RS good motor done spain a couple of times and eastern block, would imagine it would be the same motor but taller geared on rs and 1 less have a good look around there are some handy priced 1150s about out there:beer:

mellow yellow

cheers again, the overdrive gear on the GS appeals, low revs save fuel.

adv tank must cost a pretty penny? BTW is it the cameras (or my eyes :rob) or do all the 'yellow' GS's look orange?

best place to buy GS, here, eBay, BMW dealer? :nenau

Priority, low miles, FSH, extras?

I'll stop now, could go on for ever

I got mine from MCN Bikemart. It looked good in the pictures. As I'm in Essex and the bike was up in Newcastle a nice Geordie bloke (Steve) from the VFR forum I'd been using for a couple of years helped out by having a look at it for me.

He said it looked a good'un so I bought a one way ticket to Newcastle, bought it and rode it home.
Steve even picked me up from the airport and dropped me at the seller's home, bloody nice bloke.

That was two and a half years and 17,000 miles ago. Cracking bike, I love it:bow

I've seen some really good bikes in the For sale section on here.

6'8"...19 stone..... 1150.... perfect.....

IMO 1150 looks better then 1100:hide

1150 GSA still quite pricey, can get early 1200 for same money....( some will say thats a backwards step!!)

1150 is right balance on price/looks/performance/bling availibility/character... i too looked at vstrom... seemed a bit, well dull!!

get a good 1150.... the more history the better!

ohh and some tobinators..... worth every penny if over 6'00"

Hi Mozzup and welcome,
Both great bikes,big advantage for the gsa is larger tank 320+mls.
My 1150gsa just purrs along 2up and fully loaded at 80mph.MRA screen is exellent.
For myself and Joanne the only down side was the standard gsa seat,not much room for the pillion and to tall for me.
You can convert to the standard gs seat or purchase an after market seat,i opted to buy a second hand seat,the have it rebuilt to my own spec:thumb2
cost £172.
Either way look for a well cared for bike with good service history,most bikes sold through this forum appear to be genuine and you can often trace much of the bikes history.

Good hunting
Steve

Back
Top Bottom