XChalenge Chain

Ringmaster999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK I have been playing with the gearing on the XChalenge and want to fit a 13 tooth front. But the chain is obviously quite near the rear end of it's adjustment even though it has not covered 1000 miles. It's just the fact the smaller front cog gives it that much more play. Any way I thought it would be an easy job to remove a link or two and then replace with a soft link that I have the tool to sort. Which I have done on numourous ocasions with my very powerful track bikes. So no problem in doing it. But it seams BMW do not do a link and say the G450 has a different chain so I cannot use the link that they do for that bike but then they cannot tell me the size of the chain for the XChalenge so that I can buy one from another sourse:blast
Has any one made the standard chain from the XChallenge shorter? If so how did you do it.
Does anyone know the pitch of chain on the XChalenge as it does not give it in the manual.
Also I can not belive that if you need to re-new the chain and bought it from BMW that they can only supply an endless chain which would require the swinging arm to be removed:blast:blast

Any help gratefully recieved:beerjug::beerjug:

Also I can not belive that if you need to re-new the chain and bought it from BMW that they can only supply an endless chain which would require the swinging arm to be removed:blast:blast

Any help gratefully recieved:beerjug::beerjug:

The chain is a 520, as for endless chain?

the only links i've used have either been conventional links, or a soft rivet link.

these look just link a normal link, only the ends of the pins are soft (is this what you mean by a soft link??). i just fit it to the chain, shove an anvil under the bike behind the chain and give the rivets a thump with a mallet and punch. job done.

Not sure if this helps...

Nathan

Nathan yes it does and I agree with the 520 pitch. I have just been in the garage playing with some of my old track bike 520 pitch links and they look perfect for the job:):)
Yes I do mean the pins as aposed to the link. Wrong terminology:rob:rob

So the G450 must be a 520 pitch so could be used:blast

Back
Top Bottom