G450X - Temperature....

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Another numpty Q for y'all.

Is it me or doesn't the G450X have a temperature guage or any warning that it is overheating at all? Can't find any reference to this is in the manual.

So how would you know if its overheating? What are the signs?

Nope, there is no warning of over temp, just a noisy fan when you stop the bike.

Unless that strange rattle mine took on was a warning of some kind :p

Given the bike's pedigree, it seems we have two useless warning lights: Indicators & Main beam...

...but nothing useful such as an over-temperature light !

:blast

(just my two-penneth)

Indicators are easily removed as is the switch (Nice touch BWM/Domino) so that just leaves main beam... however you do have the low fuel indicator which may give you up to 5 miles ridden very nicely however it will die just as you get to the steepest hill before the garage. (tested and confirmed)

You also have the over revs indicator which I have never seen and is probably so small you would never notice it until you made a warranty claim :blast

Indicators are easily removed as is the switch (Nice touch BWM/Domino) so that just leaves main beam... however you do have the low fuel indicator which may give you up to 5 miles ridden very nicely however it will die just as you get to the steepest hill before the garage. (tested and confirmed)

You also have the over revs indicator which I have never seen and is probably so small you would never notice it until you made a warranty claim :blast

Indicators are off, and switch will be off shortly. But you still have the useless green indicator light by the equally useless main beam light...

For own piece of mind I'm going to look into the feasibility of installing a temperature gauge.

I'd also be a lot happier if there was some way of putting a rev limiter on the bike. With no intentions of racing, I have no need to thrash every last horse out of the bike, but on the same note, don't want to accidentally do it by getting carried away. I quite often hit the rev limiter on my GS by being a bit too enthusiastic....

Would be a lot more "user friendly" if the indicator & main beam warning lamps were actually used for excess revs & excess temp.

I feel some mods. coming on.

Doing BMW Off Road thingy next week, so hopefully will get the chance to have a good constructive chat with Si Pavey about the G450X and its good and bad points + how to work around the bad points. Will post back on here.

IIRC EU vehicle lighting regs and construction regs dictate that highbeam and direction indication usage must be shown on the cockpit display.
The regs also have ended us having a suicide side stand, as there is no switch on side stand. Mirrors as stock also..... etc, etc......
There is a rev limiter in the ecu, which is also time logging, so if it is used for an accessive length of time, the warranty is void.

Timpo.

TBH I can't think of any water cooled dirt bike that is fitted with a temp gauge / warning light :nenau

I check the coolant every now and again and like to hear the fan come on so I know it's working but other than that it's not something that worries me - after all the bikes are designed to be sold into markets far hotter than the UK and riden far harder than the likes of you and I.

Andres

TBH I can't think of any water cooled dirt bike that is fitted with a temp gauge / warning light :nenau

I check the coolant every now and again and like to hear the fan come on so I know it's working but other than that it's not something that worries me - after all the bikes are designed to be sold into markets far hotter than the UK and riden far harder than the likes of you and I.

Andres

Hah, told you it was a numpty question ! Gotta start somewhere...

Anyway, the Trailtech Vapor computer (+Acewell) acts as a tacho and also does water temp. Quite reasonable price. Whether its needed or worth it, no idea at this stage but at least I know it can be done. Am probably worrying about nothing....:eek:

I guess the tacho works as an inductive pick up on the HT lead so dont need a kit specific to the G450; will check.

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_vapor_kits.html

http://trailtech.net/vapor_vector_temperature_sensors.html

http://www.quadtech.co.uk/en/Digital+Speedos/Motorcycle/ACE-1100.htm?section_id=21401&product_id=290

Anyway, the Trailtech Vapor computer acts as a tacho and also does water temp. Quite reasonable price. Whether its needed or worth it, no idea at this stage but at least I know it can be done. Am probably worrying about nothing....:eek:

I guess the tacho works as an inductive pick up on the HT lead so dont need a kit specific to the G450; will check.

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_vapor_kits.html

http://trailtech.net/vapor_vector_temperature_sensors.html

Yeah, I've used one in the past as a speedo on an SM'd dirt bike and, yes, it's not 'model specific' as you just wrap a lead around the HT lead. Nice bit of kit :)

Andres

Edit: I think the different part numbers are to cover different mounting kits

Anyway, the Trailtech Vapor computer (+Acewell) acts as a tacho and also does water temp. Quite reasonable price. Whether its needed or worth it, no idea at this stage but at least I know it can be done. Am probably worrying about nothing....:eek:

Yes, I do think you are worrying a tad too much, just get out and use it is probably the best thing initially, the GX has worked very well without over heating issues for me in some extremes of weather, the biggest issue will be if you leave it idling for a long while but the fan should protect it, if you do a lot of very slow moving work on it then consider cutting holes/slots in the rear of the mudguard, this will allow more air into the rad and adding some fine mesh to the rad front will prevent damage to the radiator most of the time and impact to cooling should be insignificant.

These things seem to cope quite well with twisty stuff where it is going to heat up so I really would not worry at this stage.

Yes, I do think you are worrying a tad too much, just get out and use it is probably the best thing initially, the GX has worked very well without over heating issues for me in some extremes of weather, the biggest issue will be if you leave it idling for a long while but the fan should protect it, if you do a lot of very slow moving work on it then consider cutting holes/slots in the rear of the mudguard, this will allow more air into the rad and adding some fine mesh to the rad front will prevent damage to the radiator most of the time and impact to cooling should be insignificant.

These things seem to cope quite well with twisty stuff where it is going to heat up so I really would not worry at this stage.

Agreed.

But its a fine line between idling and risking the temperature shooting up or killing the engine in the hope its going to start. First two outings last w/e a disaster re: starting...

Agreed.

But its a fine line between idling and risking the temperature shooting up or killing the engine in the hope its going to start. First two outings last w/e a disaster re: starting...
So you said, as it is in I assume you will ask them to replace the battery regardless of what they find?

Mine is/was always spot on for starting hot or cold multiple times in fact I would say it was better than my HP2 in that respect. (And many more :rolleyes: )

Its still with them, still fault finding. See what happens tomorrow. Picking it up tomorrow night regardless for use on Sat, and see how it performs over the w/e. Right now I don't see how I can insist on a new battery if its passed their tests. But if problems re-occur on the w/e...

Back
Top Bottom