Corrosion

Chris R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
I don't want to be critical here but I can't help noticing the huge amount of corrosion on some of theses modern BMW's up for sale. I had a 1977 BMW R100 7 for over twenty years and rode it every day and never had anything like the corrosion and lifted paint I see in some of the pictures. Same with exhausts.
Do they not "make them like they used to?"
:confused:

Not built like they used to

:MotomartinIt would appear not,i was up for getting a New Gs after the sale of my 1150,but just got tired of seeing all the rust and rot on these big money bikes and Mechanical failures left right and centre,so iv gone back to Kawasaki,loads less money,better build quality,and the feeling that when i go on a long trip on it,il be coming back on it and not a breakdown truck.Loved these adventure bikes just lost the love,and have taken off my rose tinted glasses.These bikes are great just built by people who dont give a shite about build quality

Hi and welcome.
Corrosion also put me off buying a new GS, I saw too many newish bikes that looked awful because of it, I also read a lot of folk with issues on here.
I ended up buying a low mileage 1100 which is 10 years old, lot better condition than many 1200`s that are only 2 - 3 years old.
I loved the way the 1200`s handle and the power, but I would go bloody loopy if the paint satrted falling off it within 18 months, especially after paying top spondoolies.

I got an 1150, coz it had less corrosion than the 1200's I was looking at for twice the money, glad I did

My oilhead 1100 has way more corrosion than my original airhead did, that said its only cosmetic, one day I told myself I would do some repainting, but I find myself just riding it, why worry, not many bikes fail due to a bit of peeling paint :thumb2

Stewart

I ran a R100RT for 10 years - all year round, commuting and having fun, it was 20 years old when I sold it – 100.000+ miles & NO RUST! :D
bmw-r100rt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom