Northern France - Wheres nice?

Dave Hall

Reaction score
I`m going to a bike rally near Manheim in July and instead of boring Belgiam motorways I thought I`d slip south from Zeebrugge into France and bimble my way through a part of France I dont visit very often.
I was thinking about Rocroi, Verdun and although I`ve been to Troyes before I`d like another look.
Anywhere in that area thats a must to visit or a road not to be ignored?

Reims is a nice city. Epernay area is quite pretty with some nice roads.

Just outside Epernay is the village of Pierry which has a Chateau that makes champagne. They do an entertaining tour of the house & cellar. The tasting is much more generous than the big houses like Mumm. If the owner is there he will demonstrate sabrage*.

Conveniently, there is a Logis de France in Moussy about a 10 min walk away. It has one of the best restaurants that I have come across in a Logis. Auberge Champenoise.
Website here

If you want a posh B&B then contact Imogen here (she's English). Married to a French champagne maker. Website in
French
*what is sabrage?

I once organized a ride-out starting in Troyes. I'm in Dubai at this moment, back on the 11th, so if you're interested in Troyes area, I can try to dig up my roadbook and send it to you when I'm back (if I find the roadbook).

I do love Troyes area. Even without a roadbook, you can just ride around aimlessly. I also think that June/July you have the possibility to do some serious Champagne tasting....

I have to admit that I`m not a big fan of champagne....but I do like pleasant scenery, winding empty roads, Vaubans forts etc etc.

ps loved the play on words nice...Nice

Hi Dave,

I live 10 km from Zeebrugge and i hate motorways,so if you give me some time I can make you a nice route in France or Belgium.Do you have been in the Ardennen in Belgium? GPS ?

Groeten DanielGS

Thanks Daniel...I have a SPIII.

I visit Germany quite a lot and usually travel the motorway to Eupen then pick up Monschau and then I can get to most places without seeing a motorway.

This year I thought I`d head south and east along the Belgium/France border before going through Luxembourg (not the city), Trier, and then across the forests towards Manheim.

Its worth a try is`nt it.

Dave,

Head for Mons, then follow the route national to Beaumont, Philippville, Dinant, Rochfort then make your own way from there to Luxembourg. From Mons on you will be in lovely countryside and will not use any motorways. To get to mons just take the quickest route available.

Richie

Dave,

I also have a SPIII,So I make you a route on Mapsource.How mutch time you have to reach Germany?Do you want to drive on small country roads (no off road) ?Do you now the exact date of arrivel in Zeebrugge ?Maybe I join you for the first 100 km.:) :)

Groeten danielGS

I`m going to be `feet dry` in Zeebrugge on Thursday 15th July and I dont have to be in Manheim until 4pm Friday 16th. So I`ve got 2 days to travel about 460 miles.

You need to come one day before and celebrate the Bastille day.... (in Fecamp, Normandy on the 14th they have some 5000 bikers riding from the cliffs to the town with torches)

Dave Hall said:
This year I thought I`d head south and east along the Belgium/France border before going through Luxembourg (not the city), Trier, and then across the forests towards Manheim.

Trier is a lovely city. Stopped there by chance when returning from Slovenia. We got fed up riding in rain. Just after we booked into a hotel the rain stopped. We like the place so stayed an extra night.

Lots of info at www.trier.de

We used the Hotel Garni Grund right in the middle of the city. Booked via the tourist office but you can book
online here

Dave Hall said:
Avoid Charleroi.

I`ve been trying to book a ferry. I normally use Hull - Zeebrugge but its nearly 25% dearer this summer ???.
Two up on a bike with a cabin = £470
so I`ve looked at alternatives like Portsmouth - Le Havre = £276

They`re both overnight ferries from the same company...why the difference, market forces??

Mons - Hoots Mon !

richie said:
Dave,

Head for Mons, then follow the route national to Beaumont, Philippville, Dinant, Rochfort then make your own way from there to Luxembourg. From Mons on you will be in lovely countryside and will not use any motorways. To get to mons just take the quickest route available.

Richie

Richie, isn't Mons called Bergen or something when you come from the French side? I seem to remember getting very confused and badly lost up there, as I never realised places had multiple names depending on whether you approach them from the French or Flemish side. Mind you I was drinking more back then...
:beer:

Rob

Yes Franco, In flanders Mons is called Bergen, right pain in the arse. Even worse for the french is that Lille is called Rijsel. But over the last few years they have put up both names on the signs as everybody was getting lost.

Back
Top Bottom