Olympus EP-1 or Nikon D90

sijohnston

Reaction score
I am starting to put pennies aside for a new DSLR. I don't want to go cheap as I don't want to buy twice. Before today it was either the Canon EOS500D or the NikonD90. The Canon has since been binned, and something else has arisen on the radar. Last week Olympus launched the new EP-1 camera, which is this new micro four-thirds technology. Launched with for the 50 years anniversary of the original Olympus Pen, it is possibly the sexiest camera on the market. With the additional optical viewfinder, pancake lenses, and lens, it works out at a little more than the NikonD90, which is much bigger and bulkier but uses the classic SLR technology.
Anyway, as I'm a relative newbie to all things photographic, I was wondering if there were any avid camera mag readers and users on here that might be able to cast their pearls before this particular pig? One other thing is that the Olympus is so compact and robust, it will be easier to haul on a big overland trip. What think ye?:rob

The most important thing about a camera is you.

Or more importantly - howe you feel when using it.

Canon, Olympus, Nikon and othes all make excellent cameras, and no doubt once you have decided on the functions that you need (rather than necessarily want :augie ) then you will find that there are probably a number of cameras that fit the bill. In fact you've already mentioned narrowing it down to 2 (Canon & Nikon) and then a new contender comes along.

So my advice to you is simple
  • decide what functions you really need, and then look at the extra functionality that the camera offers within the budget that you have. (don't forget the cost of the farkles (lenses/tripod/flash depending upon requirements - but theyre likely to be similar regardless of the camera)
  • go to a camera shop and actually make a nuisance of yourself and play with the cameras for a while. Walk away from any camera shop that won't let you play with the camera for 30 minutes or longer. Ideally take along your own memory cards, and then take the same picture with different cameras, and then take the card home and look at the quality of the resultant pics, you may find that end product form one of the cameras appeals more than the others

Once you used the camera, rather than just 'look and touch' in the shop, then you'll have a better understanding of how it feels in your hand, can you easily reach the buttons & dials, is it too big, too heavy, too small, too plasticky etc.

I was looking at an olympus, and a canon a couple of years ago, and found the olympus was just too compact and small in my hands (great functionality and compact size - just couldn't easily use it.....), and the canons buttons were just not intuitively where I needed them to be (and the menus were not as simple for me to follow). In the end I found I was much happier with the Nikon (D200), which I had previously ruled out.:blast (however everyone I have talked to disagrees with me Canon is Best, no Olympus is Best....... so ultimately it comes down to what works for you)

The money you will spend on a camera and all the farkles is a large investment for most people, so take the time to make the right choice. The more comfortable it is in your hand (carrying, usage etc) the more likely you are to use it.

Let us know what you buy and show us your first pics.........

Cheers

Dave#...

I have the olympus e-420 which I bought to replace my lost Canon 350D. I bought it because it was cheaper than the equiv Canon/Nikon for the same spec. Unfortunately there is a down side - the lenses cost a fortune while old Canon lenses like the superb 50mm 1.8 cost just 60 quid. Also, I find the e420 to be very poor in low light (auto focus generally doesn't work).

I've got the "pancake" lense on mine. It's incredibly compact (the most compact combo on the market says Olympus).
4/3's is just marketing and the system is obsoleted by newer full frame sensors. Canon EOS lenses will work with newer technology while Olympus wont.

dpreview.com is the bible take a look

Please bear in mind that the optical viewfinder is 17mm equivalent and fixed focus, it's designed to work with the pancake lens. Any other lens will need the use of the screen (or very very good guesswork). As far as I can see the only advantages the Pen has over a good DSLR are size and it must be quieter. If that is really important to you then the Pen might be a good choice.

Last edited:
Nikon D300

Six months ago I plumped for the Nikon D300 with the 18 - 200 Zoom. And I am very pleased with it. Yes, it is a tad heavy, but with that comes a feeling of it being bomb-proof. And the 18 - 200 zoom is a fantastic lenses which is compact and covers most day to day requirements.

Another view...

...do you really NEED a DSLR? They are high maintenance in terms of cost, care, packing-away, and transporting.

I gave up my fairly extensive Nikon kit for a Canon G10 compact.

I had visions of riding the globe (well, Europe :augie) and taking award-winning landscapes, but the fact of the matter was, it was too much hassle. Too long to get out the various protective bags. Too slow in setting up for that wonderful sunset/rise.

What type of photography voyage are you wanting to embark on? Pound for pound, the Canon G10 is a wonderful camera - excellent optics, cracking resolution and quality images. OK - you won't get the versatility of ultra telephoto or ultra wideangle lenses, but if you're only using it when touring/riding, I doubt if you'll miss them.

Of course, if you're a serious photographer away from the bike, then the DSLR route is a good one.

Having 30 odd years' experience in photography, go for Nikon or Canon in the digital world.

I was a Nikon man until the G10 came along (with a small dash of Pentax and Mamiya over the years) but the performance and features are superlative - better than the Nikon equivalent.

Just my tuppence.

Show us yer pics when yee've chosen!

Lot's of good advice so far ......

I have had an Olympus E1 since since 2005. Very happy with it, only 5M, but a fantastic lens. Chose Olympus because it felt good to handle and I had an OM2n already.

I want to upgrade and want to keep my lens. After lots of thought I am going to wait until Olympus bring out an DSLR with video recording.

In the meantime for trips on the bike I am going for Canon G10 or Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. Having this type of camera handy when travelling will allow me to take more shots than I would by getting out a DLSR and setting it up.

I use a Canon G10, hangs round the neck well while riding, shoots raw files to give you a 42mb TIFF. I'm very happy...:clap
same as Joybringer said, and I do this for a living !! haha

D90

Had a Nikon D40 for 3 years or so and recently upgraded to D90.

Fabulous camera - v. v. pleased with it. If you buy it, you will not be disappointed.

BUT

Like the others say, it depends on what you want the camera for.

For snaps and photos from the bike - DSLR is big, fiddly, heavy and a faff and excellent compacts can be had for much less money.

That said - I take my DSLR 'cos I love it but it's not good for the "capture the action" shots unless you have already stopped and unpacked the damn thing.

Technology changes almost daily, so whatever you buy will be obsolete. However if you choose wisely and don't care about the latest, or don't mind if you buy latest, but it's out of date quickly, then great.

The one thing that will make the purchase a total waste of money is if you don't use it.......

SO what would cause you to not use this latest (potential) prize and joy. I would suggest that if it doesn't feel right, then you won't use it. SO get down to the camera shop(s) and try them out for weight, feel, are the ergonomics, etc.

If it doesn't feel right then move on - as in the end it will just sit on a shelf.

E.g. I was set on a Canon - all my friends have Canon, and there was the potential to 'borrow' equipment, but I tried Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus plus a host of others. Just as well, because I found that the only camera that suited my big hands with small stumpy fingers was the NIkon..... It just felt right.

Good Luck, I have no doubt that you'll have lots of fun.

Cheers

Not sure if it's releveant today but i made my living using Nikon for more than 12 years.

Back in 1975 we set up a nikon F with a 250 back to fire off a minimum of 1200 exposures every day making duplicate slides. It worked perfectly for 8 years ( and it was used hard before it was put to work making dupes).

In 1981 we were given a new canon f1 to test, so we retired the nikon.

The canon was fecked after a few months, so the nikon was brought out of retirment and was still working faultlessly up to 1986 when we stopped duping.

Hence why all my digital cameras, snap shot and DSLR's are all nikon.

I am sure after a year and a bit a decision will have been made already ;)

my first digital camera was a nikon coolpix 3MP.

it broke after a year...the only electronic device i've ever had fail :nenau

the sensor stopped sensing

i've got a Pentax now cos i had an old K1000 in the 80's - built like a bricksh1thouse

I recently bought a Nikon P100. 10.3 megapixels, with a 26 times optical zoom. Seems good to me.

Back
Top Bottom