660 for Dummies

GreatScott

Reaction score
I should of known. :blast If I buy a new toy my numpty muscle kicks in so a few questions I would appreciate some help with please:

1. I cannot seem to register my device. I log in to myGarmin, put in the serial number and then I get an instruction to download The Garmin Communicator Plugin. All's well until I get a message to close down my browser before contuning, but I get stuck in a loop and do not get any further.

2. A similar problem arises when I try to download the City Navigator software.

The laptop runs Norton anti-virus. Is that the cause? If so what can I do about it?

3. I have not got far enough to enter the "product Code" but the packaging says this is an 8 character code which comes with the software - but where is it? I can find a 10 character number that starts S/N: is that it ?

4. I haven't even attempted to mount it to the bike yet. I have read through the threads but cannot find the canbus plug on my R1200GS - HELP!!

Where's my map ?

Thanks

Haven't come across the PC problem of loading/running plugins/software, but you may be along the right lines with Norton Anti-virus. Disable it, and try again. There could also be a security setting in your browser options.

If that fails, and my not knowing enough about your PC configuration, give Garmin Support a call on 0808 2380000. They're usually pretty good.

Once that's sussed, have a look at my original thread, here that gives some info that may help you register and initialise your 660.

When you come to download the free mapping update, be prepared for up to 4 hours download time, depending on your internet connection speed!

Good luck! :thumb

Hi, if you search the GS sites you will find a lot of info on this, anyway hope following helps.

I too could not get the Garmin site to work (and I teach IT), Garmin support didn't help either. I was running MS Internet Explorer and its control of something called 'Active X' caused me no end of problems. I therefore used Firefox as my back-up browser instead and everything worked fine but you need to set it as your 'default' browser otherwise when you click the Garmin link from the registration email they will send you it will open MS Explorer and crash again. Didn't need any unlock codes, all worked automatically for me.

Used the Zumo in the car (using car mount) at weekend for a long trip so I could play with it whilst my son drove and really liked it, only way to find all features before mounting on the bike. Normally use a Tom Tom XL in the car but in my opinion the Garmin 660 is far better than the Tom Tom but the Tom Tom software is much better and easier to use.

I am waiting delivery of the Touratech 660 satnav mount for my GS Adv since I can lock it to the bike. The supplied Zumo fitting brackets seem ok but I have not used them so cannot really comment, didn't want to have to remove it my 660 even when I went for petrol to avoid it being stolen, supplied fitting is not secure.

Re the Canbus, you need to buy a canbus satnav plug from your BMW dealer, about £9 and have it wired to your Zumo lead, really easy, again step by step guides on the GS forums for this. GS plug is under instrument cluster, below oil cooler.

Sam

Good stuff :bow Cheers one and all. I turned Norton off and registered the device no problem. I now can get a full manual, which is useful. Why it is not included in the box baffles me - but there we are. Still cannot get an unlock code to let me have access to Mapsource

Back
Top Bottom