Sh*t I can't see a thing!

Andy Deighton

Sorry I just woke up from a nightmare.

Dreamt that winter was here, I'd just got onto the M25 at junction 8 and my visor fogged up big time.

To make sure I don't have it again what would you recommend for my Evo 4 flip up lid, the BMW double glazed visor (anyone tried one), a fog city, Bob Heath spray?

Help!!!!!!

The blind nose

I have a Schuberth but I find its my glasses that fog up before the visor, I use Bob Heath on both, seems to work for me.

I use "Gloop" myself, which seems to do the trick. The stuff lasts for ages as well.

Sticky stuff?

Andrew

Gloop, wassat a spray?

confused nose:confused:

Fog City, every time. Totally brilliant, been using one for a couple of years now and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

My problem, as a spectacle wearer, is that the specs themselves tend to mist up on cold mornings. OK when the lid warms up. Bob Heath spray on the spec lenses helps until then.

I see that Fog City has now produced a light-reactive insert which, as well as using the anti-mist technology, is also photochromatic and reacts to prevailing light conditions - anybody used one yet, and if so, what do you think? Kinda pricey @ £29.99, but if it works, hey..............

I've used Fog City inserts for the last 5 or 6 yrs in various helmets (Shoei, Arai, Caberg & Schuberth) and always found them to be superb. The worst conditions are when it is raining and cool (rather than cold). The last thing you want to do in town is open your visor and get rain running down the inside, but it staems up in seconds if you dont. With a Fog City, I can set at traffic lights with the visor down for 5mins+ and still see out. It gets uncomfortably muggy inside but you can still see out so I have always been happy enough to buy another insert every time I have got a new helmet.

I use a stick of Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti-Glare . . . bought it at a bike show two years ago after watching a very convincing demo (don't normally get suckered into these things). It is very impressive - use it most on my car windscreen.
Otherwise, my Fog City insert in my Arai has been faultless but I made the stupid mistake of buying it tinted (doh!) and find it too dark for the conditions when I really need it.
Simon E.

Fog City

used Fog City in my last three helmets and highly recommended.

Considered the reactive one but seems very expensive.
Bought a ProGrip clear reactive insert at BMF for £15.00.
So far so good,yet to be tested in winter conditions.

Gerry H.

In Busters cat. at £16.00

almost at the post.

Looking like Fog City with a squirt of Bob Heaths for the specs.

Has anyone tried the BMW double glazed visor. Sounds as if it should work at treat but £60!!

The it's all starting to get a bit clearer nose

I used fog city inserts a while back, and was always pleased with them - including the one day when snow was sticking to the outside of the visor, and it still refused to fog!

However, I stopped using them as I found they caused very strange and distracting reflections when riding at night, especially when wearing my specs. Motorways were the worst, with multiple reflections from rear/brake lights all the way up the visor.

This could just have been my visor/eyesight combination, as no-one else has mentioned it (I was using the fog city on a HJC lib if I remember correctly).

Alternatively, I may just have taken too many hallucinogens at University! ("Oooo, look at the pretty lights man!")

I don't use anything now. The vents on my Caberg flip lid seem to perform fine in all but the worst conditions, when I have to crack the visor open and rely on breathing control. (Just remember to breathe occasionally - I did nearly pass out at one set of lights!)

Steve.

In absolutely cats and dogs rain I've taken to wearing my motorcross helmet with double glazed ski goggles and I have no problems with steaming up and rain on the goggles is easier to see through than rain on a visor. I have various fleece, goretex and neoprene face masks and balaclavas that I use for skiing and mountaineering and these are perfect in cold weather under the helmet.
I dicovered the functionality of this set-up on the weekend of the BMW Off-Road Skills course when it lashed it down all weekend.
The problem I've had with nearly all full-face helmets is that they eventually leak and rain gets in behind the visor. Also, all vents need to be shut or rain gets in wherever it can. With vents shut you steam up even more. The MX solution is worth considering if you already have a helmet.
Simon E.

Many years ago, I had a System 2 helmet and invested in an electrically heated visor bought from Germany, it was very expensive... (about £100) but lasted for years and was the absolute dogs danglies.
It just would not mist up in ANY conditions no matter how hard I tried. I did hear a rumour that one was being developed for the System 4 (or whatever the latest is), has anyone heard anything about this..?

Andy Deighton,
Gloop isn't a spray, you get to get your fingers all sticky by smearing it all over your visor, and I think it smells lovely!!:spl1f:

Andrew T

Hmmm... the mind boggles. You don't think the smell could be a bit of an overload for someone with my particular nasal talents do you?

Sniffy nose

Another vote for the FogCity inserts here, and also for the MX lid solution.
My Oakley goggles don't seem to steam up at all - I have a pair of Pro-Grip photochromics which do, but both pairs live in the top box, so not a big problem. You realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly do need a scarf or a balaclava when it rains heavily, though!

:cool:

Since the Schuberth got crunched, I have used my Bell MX helmet in all weathers, without a problem - I use earplugs all the time, and I like the extra airflow!

P

My Nolan came with the "pin-lock" system. Basically a visor insert held onto the inside of the std. visor between two pins. Works extremely well until rain water gets between the two. Then vision gets all burred. Still doesn't mist up though.
Is the BMW version the one with a bead of rubber around the edge of the insert? If so this would cure the rain problem.

PeterNicholson said:

Since the Schuberth got crunched, I have used my Bell MX helmet in all weathers, without a problem - I use earplugs all the time, and I like the extra airflow!

Pete:
I actually find my MX helmet quieter than the Schuberth. I get a constant windrush noise, but I don't get anything like the oscillation and buffeting noise I get with the Schuberth. In fact, after a honeymoon period with the Schuberth I'm now finding it too noisy. The visor adjustment allowing air flow just makes it worse. The MX, as you say, is great in hot weather . . . absolutely right about needing a balaclava/scarf . . . not just in cold weather though . . . those kamakaze flies/wasps hitting your cheek at a combined velocity of 120mph pack quite a punch!
Simon E.

BMW double glazed visor..

Had a chat with Darren at South London Motorcycles today about the double glazed visor I've been asking about.

Apparently there were some problems with the seals at the edge of the double glazing. He wouldn't sell me one (if he had any) because he new I'd only bring it back when I had broken it.

Oh well that's that for now, got a Fog City and some Bob Heath spray instead.

Really looking forward to some nut shrinking weather to see how well they work - NOT!!!

The 'likely to go blue at the end' nose. :)

I bought a pin-lock anti-fog visor for my Schubi Concept but sadly it was never up to the standard of the fog-city's. Looking back on it, it wasn't the best decision. After all, every fog city I've had was still working well when the visor was due for replacement.

Also the fitment of the anti-fog element wasn't the best. It had the beading but was never happily seated all the way around, you had to choose gap at the top, or gap at the bottom. Which also meant water got inside and when the visor was due for replacement and when I went to take the shield out its outer lining/coating had attached itself to the visor - so knackered visor AND knackered shield - no bargain for the £40-£50 quid outlayed - oh for Bike Show impulse purchases - no wonder I don't go anymore!!

I'm now back to my trusty fog city's and happy again :D

Back
Top Bottom