Suggest me some advanced training

Taro

Hi

I have some time off at the end of August. Thinking of doing one or two days advanced (ie post test, I've only been riding for ten months) training

Any recommendations?

Looking really to increase road skills, cornering speed and smoothness, but open to any suggestions

Ideally relatively close to Bristol :)

"Swiftly Sorted" Terry Dodd on t'internet. I had an excellent day with him last year.

they are not worth the money because they are not that much better than going to your local IAM group. They don't give instructions over the intercom. They also use really crap (read: cheap) intercom.

but for similar money this is miles better www.mikewaite.co.uk
1. Use top quality Kenwood receivers with Autocom kit
2. Instructions whilst you ride (I found this was one key feature worth paying for)

Actually, I found Rapid to be absolutely superb. I've had run outs with Gary, Dave B and Andy Morrison :bow and learned a massive amount from them both. They're all ex-Police Class 1 and so use the System (all hail the Sacred System :D) but it does work and work well. They're also superb coaches and teachers.

I'd recommend Kevin Williams from Survival Skills as well. Kevin's an ex-courier and not a TrafPol, so has a very different perspective. But he's a quite incredible coach. I've always had a real issues with cornering - bit of an issue on a bike - and Kevin sorted it out easily, with no fuss and no histrionics. In fact, I didn't realise I was carrying much more speed much more safely until he pointed it out.

And then there's always your local IAM group - they'll be the cheapest option. Standards are variable (I should know - I chair the Oxford group :D) but it's a bloody good foundation to build on. If you're lucky, you'll get someone who understands about "making progress" and isn't one of the old-school pipe and slippers mob. We're lucky at Oxford - we've got people like Dunc (of this parish) who are phenomenally rapid but exceptionally safe - coaching our associates.

There's RoSPA too, but local groups can be a bit thin on the ground.

Main thing is, training's not a one-off. It's something you keep doing - and keep improving. There always seems to be something to work on and something else to learn :thumb

Thanks for all of the above :) I'll have a look into them later when home from work

I've also contacted Bikesafe and Ride to Arrive, are these worth doing?

IAM I'm intending to do too being very aware that training is always an ongoing thing, anyone here from the Bristol group?

they are not worth the money because they are not that much better than going to your local IAM group. They don't give instructions over the intercom. They also use really crap (read: cheap) intercom.

but for similar money this is miles better www.mikewaite.co.uk
1. Use top quality Kenwood receivers with Autocom kit
2. Instructions whilst you ride (I found this was one key feature worth paying for)

strange that i found the instructions and advice they gave to be top class and there was no problems with the radio link.

A tip

Lots of options open to you Taro, have a good look at what's available to you in your area, national organisations will differ markedly from region to region (RoSPA, IAM, Bikesafe, etc), because individuals and "cultures" adapt, change and diverge over time.

So, tip - spend some quality time with your first choice options and choose a trainer / group whom you like and can see yourself getting along with. If they are at all reluctant to meet you and discuss what and how they do what they do, that will tell you something about them.

Finally, enjoy it - we learn best when we are having fun!

All the best, Jim.

A lot depends on whether you click with the trainer. There is an advanced instructor in Clevedon - Paul Dickinson at in-Gear. You could check him out at http://in-gear.co.uk/index.php?page=i-have-a-full-licence. He also does the Enhanced Rider Scheme which can lead to reductions on insurance.

Further along the M4, the BMW On Road school in the Brecon Beacons also does 2-day road modules for post-test riders. A great area to ride in, plus town work in Swansea and Merthyr.

Just a quick vote for Andy Smith over at www.1stclassrider.co.uk, he's running a ROSPA accredited "advanced course" in mid/late August out of Cardiff, details at http://www.1stclassriderblog.co.uk/

I've used Kevin at Survival Skills previously and ridden with two other outfits that offer advanced training and my personal recommendation still goes to Andy ...

There are other people here who've been thru the mill with Andy as until recently his courses were announced in the local sections on UKGSer and I'm sure some have gone on to get ROSPA accredited as I did.

HTH

All the rave I read about Rapid in magazines so I gave them a try.

Compared to what you get from www.mikewaite.co.uk .. it's in another league.

I spent hundreds of ££ on both and Rapid is definitely a poor cousin. If you have never tried www.mikewaite.co.uk then I can understand how Rapid seem so good when compared to local IAM group.

I would rather goto a IAM group then Rapid, but I would pay the premium for www.mikewaite.co.uk any day.

I am not affliated to these organisations like magazines might be for their advertising money.

I am an average rider that would rather spend money on training then on a new exhaust system. So I try different suppliers. I went to Rapid because they were closer but I was quite disappointed that they were only marginally better than the observers at TVAM (my local IAM group).

Mike really took my riding from utter crap to safe over ONE WEEKEND. I really can't stress how good this fella is. It maybe because he wasn't just a class one rider but AN INSTRUCTOR on the police force training people to Class one standard.

I think if you know no different then spending money at Rapid would be good, but I have tried BOTH with my own money. I would spend again with Mike any day. I won't be going back to Rapid anytime soon.

My next spend will probably be on Califonia superbike school. To see if they can assist my crappy bike handling skill.

Bikesafe

Hi mate,

Contact your local Police Force or look on the national Bikesafe web site. It should cost you £50 for a day of classroom/on road tuition from your local Police Motorcyclists.

Highly recommended.

Dunnie.

Serving Class 1 Police Motorcyclist
Bikesafe assessor:aidan

Ta for that Dunnie, confirms what I'd almost decided to do :) There's a Bike Safe event (£10) in Weston Super Mare on 23 Aug and a Ride to Arrive weekend (£99) in September - both seem good value and what I'm looking for at present

Do the Police guys on this follow you on their work bikes? I can feel the intimidation already... :)

IAM have a new motorcycle book out. Supposed to be Roadcraft but pitched at an easier to read level, with colour pics/diagrams etc. Only available on their website.

I've not read it so I'm not recommending it, just letting you know it's out there.

I was led to believe Mike Waite had retired, but had trained a couple of other guys to carry on his good work.

I can put you in touch...

Thanks for all of the above :) I'll have a look into them later when home from work

I've also contacted Bikesafe and Ride to Arrive, are these worth doing?

IAM I'm intending to do too being very aware that training is always an ongoing thing, anyone here from the Bristol group?

with Bristol Group if you like. Or Severn, or Gwent? Send me a pm for more info.

Bikesafe and Ride to Arrive are both worth doing.

Thanks for the links. Due to scheduling difficulties I can't do IAM this year (with the Bristol Group anyway but they're close to me so it'd be logical to meet with them) but I've signed up for both Bikesafe and Ride to Arrive. From the info I've had so far these both seem fairly similar, how do they differ in practice?

Back
Top Bottom