Streetpilot 111 advice please

Stumpy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just purchased a streetpilot 111 kit from adventure motorcycling. I have spent the weekend using it in my car and generally getting used to it. It seems to work very well and I am well impressed. I have fitted the handlebar mount and power lead to the GS and am going to try it out on the bike over the next few days.

I am thinking about buying an ear piece so I can hear the voice directions. However I am not convinced that I will be able to hear the prompts well enough above the usaul GS wind noise and buffeting. I would be interested to hear other users experiances with using streetpilot 111 with/without ear piece.

Stumpy

Stumpy

A good purchase, eh?

I also have the SPIII which I use in the car and on the bike. In the car, I'm trying to wean myself off the voice prompts so I can just use the visuals when on the bike. So far, it's reasonably successful provided I keep an eye on the countdown to a turn (bottom right of screen)

Best

Greg

Countdown works for me!

Although I am a humble Garmin V user my propmpts come in the form of a bleep. I've nticed that when in the car I start relying on the bleeps - bad move. When on the bike I am conditioned to keep an eye on the countdown and this works with far greater success - me thinks when in the car now I'll find the option to turn off the bleep.

Stumps: I've been using the BMW Navigator (Virtually same as SPIII) for a couple of months now, inluding a trip to Greece and love it. So far I have only used it visually, using the countdown method very successfully without much of a hiccup. I have to say though, since 'she' started talking to me I think that this method of navigating would be much safer.

I just bought a small flat speaker, cable and various male/female sockets from Maplin for under a fiver!!! I propose to fit all this to my Shoei helmet and 1st trial run worked a treat. As you say, the buffeting thing might change the whole thing, but I'll let you know when I got it done.

By the way, at Bank Holiday last my girlfriend and I travelled to Ludlow after picking out minor roads from Sheffield using Mapsource. What a hoot! We went on single track roads, dirt tracks, farmers access roads without so much as a motorway or dual carriageway, fantastic! Trust it and this GPS stuff does work. Give it a whirl, you'll laugh at how much fun it is. Can't wait for the next free weekend exploring!

Thanks for the advice guys

I have spent a few days using the streetpilot with the bike and reckon its very usable without the voice prompts. The tip about keeping an eye on the countdown works very well.

I have another coulpe of questions that yoyu may be able to help me with.

I have mounted the unit so it sits in the middle of the handlebars but dosnt get in the way of the instruments. However I find the sun reflects off the screen in certain circumstances making it unreadable. Any ideas on reducing this.

The instructions are specific about what not to clean the screen with. What do other users suggest. Ideally I would like some sort of disposable wet wipe that I can carry in my tank bag and wipe the screen when needed.

The information I recieved from adventure motorcycling suggested turning off the auto zoom function for use on the bike. Any opinions gratfully recieved

Stumpy

My e-trex vista does not have the luxury of voice promts. I have grown used to keeping a check on distance to the next waypoint. Works a treat, for me anyway.

Streetpilot

stumpy said:
I have mounted the unit so it sits in the middle of the handlebars but dosnt get in the way of the instruments. However I find the sun reflects off the screen in certain circumstances making it unreadable. Any ideas on reducing this.

The instructions are specific about what not to clean the screen with. What do other users suggest. Ideally I would like some sort of disposable wet wipe that I can carry in my tank bag and wipe the screen when needed.

Stumpy

Stumpy - I have just ordered a Sunshade from http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_access.html#gcspss I can't comment on its effectiveness as it's not arrived but I'll let you know (might have to wait until next year up here though..!!).

I would suggest trying baby wipes which are great for nearly everything from wine on carpets to vomit all over baby's face. There are screen wipes available from Halfords but it seems a waste to use them for such a small area but there again they should be good for your visor.

have fun

Andy

To prevent interference with the instrument lights, move the unit off centre so that the bracket is centred with the left handlebar mounting. Remove the acrylic aerial support and adjust the position of the aerial so that it will not interfere with your vision. The aeial support is a nice but unnecessary touch.

To eliminate glare, adjust the angle of the screen down so that when riding your body blocks the light coming from behind. This will mean making the screen almost vertical. It's still perfectly readable at that angle.

Buy an E-Cloth - available from some high street shops like Waitrose but also via mail order/internet from EnviroProducts. These cloths are perfect for cleaning the GPS screen and visor without chemicals or detergents and do an excellent job. Keep them damp and buy a small tupperware box or a plastic bag so you always have it handy.

The information I recieved from adventure motorcycling suggested turning off the auto zoom function for use on the bike. Any opinions gratfully recieved

Yes, turn it off.

What a downer

Just got back from Offshore today and was excited to fir my new Touratech mount for my streetpilot colormap. It doesn't fit...!!! I will phone Bracken tomorrow but if anyone who has one can see where I'm going wrong please let me know (See attached image)

Secondly my new Streetpilot sunshade arrived from the states. I've not tried it yet but itss nothing more than a piece of plastic with a card insert to stiffen it up an held to the GPS with stick on Velcro...!! If anyones interested I'll stick up a picture with the dimensions so you can make your own.

HAve fun

Andy

Attachments

• joebody.jpg
    joebody.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 161
That looks like a Streepiolt lll mount...

...but that doesn't look like a Streetpilot lll! What GPS is it?

MikeO:)

Streetpilot.

Having owned the original Streetpilot and now the SP3 the one in the picture looks exactly the same as the original standard Streetpilot. Again it shows the battery compartment on the end this is in keeping with the original, the new SP has the battery compartment on the rear. The brackets for both old and new Streetpilots are completely different, hence I think you have been sent the wrong one. Errm I think :confused:

Re: Streetpilot.

gazza said:
hence I think you have been sent the wrong one. Errm I think :confused:

Gazza - I think you may be correct.:(
The GPS is a Streetpilot ColorMap. It is not a StreetPilot III. I will phone Bracken Thursday as I've been in a long long meeting since 9 am this morning and its shut now.

Thanks Guys.

Andy:)

Problem solved

Gazza, You were right and you were wrong. You were right in that it is as you say like your old StreetPilot but wrong as it is in fact the correct mount.
Apparently Touratech has modified the StreetPilot mount slightly to make the fit more secure. It needs quite a push to pivot the GPS back into the mount but when its in its not going anywhere without releasing the flixistrip.
Humble pie all round.

Thanks for all the guidance.

Have fun
Andy

Re: What a downer

AndyT said:
If anyones interested I'll stick up a picture with the dimensions so you can make your own.

HAve fun

Andy

Yes please.

Back
Top Bottom