September 19th - 26th, Europe Camping for a week who's up for it

EasySushi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of me, a few of you, Camping around europe I make that Pims O'clock.

Anyone interested in a trip round France, Germany, Austria, Czech Rebublic anywhere in europe for a week in September. Just blokes NO GIRLS (sorry), need a bit of male bonding, no that type . I got 2 two daughters 2 cats a tank full of fish and a wife; They all that need constant attention and I need to get away for some Me Time

Ferry from dover costs about £40, camp site about 7 euros a night. We will be cooking on stoves to keep cost down and may do some wild camping also.

So if your up for good riding, good banta, good laugh and few beers all round the campfire, just add to this thread

Cheers

Ty

I finish work in Amsterdam (assuming I'm going, but that's another story) on the 16th. I was planning to do the Arhnem battlefields for the following few days (it's the 65th anniversary of Operation Market Garden) and will try and wangle something with SWMBO for the week that follows!

Where are you thinking of spending the first night after you cross the channel? East or south of Calais?

Could be of interest, got my second child due at Christmas so a bit of me time might be nice.

Not sure about the pims o'clock isn't that a girls drink? (not that I'm much of a drinker) more like wine o'clock for me :ChrisKelly

I would be really interested in Czech rep.

Gina need some new camping gear as most my stuff is aimed at family trips but i am good at roughing it.

Keep us up to date :thumb2

Ian

Could be of interest, got my second child due at Christmas so a bit of me time might be nice.

Not sure about the pims o'clock isn't that a girls drink? (not that I'm much of a drinker) more like wine o'clock for me :ChrisKelly

Gina need some new camping gear as most my stuff is aimed at family trips but i am good at roughing it.

Ian
mind yer KY jelly blokes only,,, no girls,,, good riding :augie

I finish work in Amsterdam (assuming I'm going, but that's another story) on the 16th. I was planning to do the Arhnem battlefields for the following few days (it's the 65th anniversary of Operation Market Garden) and will try and wangle something with SWMBO for the week that follows!

Where are you thinking of spending the first night after you cross the channel? East or south of Calais?

My plan is always no plan its more fun, you don't know where you end up but always land on your feet. South of Calais would be a good starter but I go with the flow.

Ty

Ian

Hi Mate,

It would be a good laugh, no reel plan that way you don't have to stress about being at a certain place a certain time. Stay off motorwasys and enjoy the riding. There are some great little villages/towns that you would miss if you stayed on the motorwasys and A-roads.

On a trip to Scotland :eek:onyack a couple of months back, we camped on the Balmoral Estate. Cooked up chicken dopiaza, mushroom rice, popadom and drank Pims out of the can while keeping warm by the camp fire, the good life

Ty

to bol or not to bol(D`or that is)

how do, just read your thread,was thinking of going to the bol this year think its about the same time but not fixed on it.just wanted to scoot off for a week.are your dates fixed?i was looking for a weekish about the 12th or 19th,still got to sort stuff out tho so its still in the planning stage. not kicking tyres by the way.only thing i have is get north france out of way then pick up decent roads, down the rhine is good but thats just me...........ta....:rob

how do, just read your thread,was thinking of going to the bol this year think its about the same time but not fixed on it.just wanted to scoot off for a week.are your dates fixed?i was looking for a weekish about the 12th or 19th,still got to sort stuff out tho so its still in the planning stage. not kicking tyres by the way.only thing i have is get north france out of way then pick up decent roads, down the rhine is good but thats just me...........ta....:rob

Hi mate,

Its the only dates for me I'm afraid. I know what you mean about northern France. If you can make it, be good to have you along

Cheers

Ty

Dont laugh if im being dum but what is the bol?

Ian

bol d`or

the bol or "Bol D`or"(golden bars i think) if i`ve got the spelling right is a 24hr endurance race that was at the end of the year calander sometimes inclueded sometimes not.it use to be held at paul ricard curcuit but is now at many cor(spelling?)usually 3rd week in sept and crowds use to average 120k over the 24hrs.in the late 80`s it was a 2000ml round trip for a pi**up,t-shirt and a headache but it was fun. hope that helps

trip

cheers ty will try and let you kno how plans pan out,i`m same as you need a week away it just sorting it out.cheers

Hey Ty

I'm up for a trip on these dates. I've got a weeks pass cleared by the Mrs already, just need to arrange cover for work (which I'll have to do next week). Will confirm for definate then.

No plan & no autoroutes is cool with me - follow the good weather!

Bushy

I may be up for this BUT although I have done lots of touring I have not done camping for a while.

Don't mind roughing it when there is a good laugh but will need to get the gear.

karl

I'm in!!!

That's work covered too, so I'm in!! :thumb2

How much planning do you want to do? Ferry/tunnel time and date is all I really need. Though I guess with a little bit of organising we wont all be lumbered with the same cooking stuff or find we've come away with no tea bags!

Roll call

So its looking like this little shindig will be happening:clap i have now booked the time and cleared with the boss (wife)

Is it maybe time for a roll call of definite/maybe/not likely?

I'm guessing depart Saturday am return by Sunday latest ready for work on the Monday.

I agree with farow some planing is prob a good idea, start time n place, who has what equipment, mileage per day rough list of country's/places of interest.
Don't get me wrong to much planing is time consuming and rigid but a little prep goes along way :rob It would be nice to keep of autobahn/motorways but if the odd blast gets you to a POI then its worth the monotomy IMO. love the idea of a bit of 'wild camping'

So gentlemen if you up for it; UK location, POI, confertable mileage, equipment/bike.

Id better go first:blast

Leicestershire/Warwick's boarder

big bridge (F), black forest (D), church of bones (CZ)

100-500 miles

12gs full panniers etc camping gear, v limited cooking no radio or Satan (have iphone)

Over to you campers :type

Definite!

I'm near the M11 J8.

I love going to France, but Ive been last 3yrs. I've never been to Germany,Austria or CZ, so going there would be pretty cool. Not really to thrilled about Italy on a bike (on what little i've seen). I'll do a short days autoroute's to get towards the area where we want to be, but i'd rather stay off them as much as poss. Daily riding time/distance is no prob, I'll go with the flow.

Equipment:
1200gs full boxes. Usual personal sleeping/eating camping stuff. I've a grill for an open fire that fits in one of my boxes, chopping board, fryingpan & a few utensils (and a telescopic fishing rod - just in case we miss the SuperU!).
(I love cooking by the way)

Anyone got... a decent pan for curries and/or other one-pot delights... a bigger (gas) kettle... or a gas ring for morning cuppa's?

I have starcom + kenwood radio but never really use it. No sat-nav at moment - but still debating that one.

Who's next? :bounce1

Looks like we have a cook! :bow I have a good sized pan and great water Carrier that fits on the back seat so can accommodate water needs for wild camping i also have a small burner that i use on the road for a quick cuppa/potnoodel/soup etc down side is it takes gas cartridges :mad:
does your stove etc use gas.

Hopping we have a good tool man in the team so we don't all have to Carry sockets/puncher etc any volunteer's :nenau

I'm not a big fan of France, would love to make CZ guess that would mean the dreaded auto barn. funny really before i had the GS i look forward to high speed barn runs.

Wow you guys are really keen :thumb

Well I had a trip already booked for Germany 4 weeks back, ferries all booked etc. however the weather had changed for the worse and rain forecast for that week so ended up not going, just as well cos it PISSED down all over Europe

There is nothing worst then riding and camping in bad weather. With that in mind I would like to follow good weather over there if that Ok with you guys.

I live near Liphook in Hampshire, ride a 06 1200GSA with 50,000 on the clock done quite a bit of camping with the bike and have a lot of gear. This is what I will be taking, all of my gear is light weight and fits into my panniers and topbox. I do have small spare pots if anyone wants to borrow.

• MSR Dragonfly Stove/MSR Bottle
  • MSR light-weight pans
  • Salt, Pepper, Oil, Herbs/Spices
  • 100ml washing up liquid / Sponge
  • Plastic Sporks
  • Chopping Board
  • Leatherman/Knifes
  • Light Weight Axe
  • Tea Bags / Milk pots, Sugar, Stirrers from McDonalds
  • Cup
  • Northface Tent
  • Northface Sleeping bag
  • Thermarest Lite
  • Head Torch
  • 1 PISS Bottle
  • Fold up chair with beer cooler :thumb
  • Fold up BBQ
  • Pucture repair Kit
  • Electric Tyre Inflator
  • Tools
  • One pair Of Grags
  • 4 Pair Boxers
  • 2 Pair Socks
  • 2 T-shirts
  • 1 Pair Cheap Walking shoes
  • 1 Waterproof Jacket
  • 1 Woolly hat
  • 1 Pack Andrex Arse wipes
  • Toiletries
  • Bog Role
  • Tarp
  • 1 ltr 20/50 Castrol Oil
  • 1 Fuel pump controller
  • 1 antena ring
  • 1 FD Oil seal
  • 1 Clutch seal
  • Headlight bulb
  • 1 80Gb IPod/Speakers

Regarding the dates for travel I have to be back-home on Saturday 26th around midday.

Daily mileage not bothered as long as we are not hunting for a campsite to late, I'll go with the flow. Germany's great, Austria's great never been to CZ but not bothered if we don't get there, just want to enjoy the riding, scenery and company

I have started looking a ferry prices about £60 return.

Cheers :beerjug:

Ty

Also love cooking

Back
Top Bottom