ever ridden to greece

Yes. 3 times. Twice via the former Yugoslavia and once via Italy and ferries. Twice on R100GSs, once on an FJ1200.

It was great.

Oct2901.jpg

:beerjug:

Easy with the ferry from Venice/Ancona/Bari etc to Igouminetsa. From there you can explore some really great places like Zagoria, a national park centered on the Vikos gorge (apparently the deepest in the world). When we went we spent a lot of time exploring the borders with Albania and Montenegro.
You can wild camp pretty well anywhere. Beware some roads which have become 'glassy' in the heat. Avoid July & August when the temperature hits 45c and more. :eek:

Once, a few years ago on an Africa Twin. We went across France and through the frezuis (spelling!) Tunnel. Down to Ancona and caught the ferry. 18 hours later arrive in Greece. 3 days from home. We went early April and most of it was still closed!!! Went to Olympia and got stuck in the snow on the mountains!!!

Just got back

We, (me and SWMBO), :D did :- France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania ... Greece. :thumb2 Awesome ride if you have a couple of weeks spare. Came back :- Ferry from igglo ...(summink) :nenau Greece to Ancona, Italy and home.
Fantastic scenery and helpful people everywhere we went.

Good luck with whatever you decide :thumb2

Did the ferry from Venice 'Bluestar'... just the job...:thumb2

Took a ferry from Corfu to Brindisi on the return, 'Fragline'...give them a miss at all costs...:mad:

Wouldn't tie the bike down, crew smoking on the car deck, the rest of the 'tub' was a Shitheap....same outfit that sank one a few years ago because the crew were watching footie instead of looking where they were going... :mad:

Did the ferry from Venice 'Bluestar'... just the job...:thumb2

Took a ferry from Corfu to Brindisi on the return, 'Fragline'...give them a miss at all costs...:mad:

Wouldn't tie the bike down, crew smoking on the car deck, the rest of the 'tub' was a Shitheap....same outfit that sank one a few years ago because the crew were watching footie instead of looking where they were going... :mad:

Being Greek, I agree with Coolcarbon. try and go via Italy unless you have weeks of time...

From Italy you take Bluestar ferries from Venice (36+ hrs) where you spend 2 days and an overnight in a decent ship, or (better for me), ride another 500km south to Ancona and take "Highspeed" ferries (they are red and look fantastic) for a 19hr crossing to Patra in Peloponese.

Greece is lovely on a bike, though youy need to avoid it until late August as its too hot. Not riding a sportsbike would also help.

Other advice:

- Stop at a cashpoint in a big city and get cash if you ll go off the beaten track and explore villages and remote places as Greece is a cash based country and very few rural pensions and tavernas would take a card.

- Be very careful of other road users and the roads themselves. The bit from Patras to Corinth (110km of dual carriageway with only double lines in the middle) is physically used like a motorway (people coming from the other direction overtaking trucks on your fast lane etc) and is regarded by books as the most dangerous stretch or road in Europe - 120 deaths a year on average just by 70miles of road... Beat that UK!
Also beware of others.. Anything can go wrong in Greece. If you ve ever been to Egypt, Turkey, etc on a bike, think of Greece as closer to them than to France in road manners... On a bike it can be dangerous.

- Use the horn. Its expected. Sometimes, to warn pedestrians not to cross in front of you, sometimes to make the car in front move again after the driver has taken a speed nap in the middle of the road, sometimes to hoot back to somebody...

- If you go during the 9 non wintry months and you intend to camp, then find where you can do that beforehand. Greeks have gone very european about illegal camping and the fines are actually being imposed and the "sorry sir didn't know abt that - I m English you know" excuse won't work on illegal camping/fire lighting anymore... It will work on most other illegal things though, like speeding, cannabis use etc.. ;-)

- enjoy your time there.... Greece is most certainly a country that whoever designed big trailees (GS, Africa twin, TDM, etc) had in mind...

As theop said....you have to be aware of somethings and have them in your mind....
the road from Patra to Korinthos...is ...with one word...awfull...if you can to avoid it...avoid it....either pass on the other side from the bridge Rio-Antirio and follow that roads over there...or use some more rural roads...
as for the rural roads....beware the farmers that come out from their work and their mind is still in their work....
as for the roads...do not trust them....due to the heat...they can be really slippery....
theop mentions correctly about the horn...you have it ....you use it....
another thing....when they flash you the lights...it means that "keep back...I am passing"....or...if they are on the other direction ..it means that possible there is a police block....
when you are riding...stay at the middle of your lane...as long as no one is behind you... otherwise stay at your right and leave the other to pass...you don't want to hear "french"....or mess up with the locals...
You will find nice food.....try to find places where the locals go...you will pay logic prices and top quality...
everyone will help you..even police.......
free camping is illigal....but as many other things in Greece that are illegal...you can do it...unless you do not disturb anyone...
A nice ride that I did last year with my brother was at the south of Peloponnisos....we really enjoyed the roads from Kalamata to Sparti...and from Sparti to Monembasia....the road pass through the mountains and the scenery was amazing...at least for us....
You will enjoy your ride in Greece....and if you reach till Crete....tell me to inform you about places, roads and beaches....

BTW...theop....I hope I will meet you once I ride towards London....or even better we can meet somewhere in the middle for a coffee and a ride....

I have :Whatton

the roads are very slippery (pun intended :D )

its very hot

if you don't stay in town you might stay in a "rent by hour" establishment

That is all I remember from Greece

to greece

Head down thru Croatia:
3532670051_d8ced20dc6_o.jpg

Then Montenegro:
3413202599_8a31487913_o.jpg

Then Albania:
3431597386_e5757dd242_o.jpg

Then Greece:
3533488090_f1890f4fcb_o.jpg

and there's a tiny bit of Bosnia in there too

Head down thru Croatia:

Gorra agree with Cole on this one :thumb

Will take more time and money perhaps but what the 'eck! We rode back through Greece, Croatia and home on the last trip... it was magic. This trip we headed East through Italy, overnight ferry from Barri to Greece but never again. If you must overnight on the ferry book a cabin :rob

Greece is great, enjoy, but make it your destination and not 'the reason' ... enjoy the journey :thumb

Anyway, apart from Pompeii and the Dolomites, Italy, in my book, doesn't have a lot going for it :eek:

Just one of many piccies ... Montinegro :)

Attachments

• Montinegro.jpg
    Montinegro.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 294
ride to greece?

hi guys.
cole/mickey,hi.when did you visit greece?...i'm planning to go from england via NS ferry (hull) across 'yoop' via germ/czech/pol/slov/ukrain (bit!)/bulg/turk/greece. from turkey i want to ferry to greece(south of athina?) do you know anything about this route? want to go from there up thru west coasts of old yugo and back into italy via slovinia for lakes/alps....tyke

hi guys.
cole/mickey,hi.when did you visit greece?...i'm planning to go from england via NS ferry (hull) across 'yoop' via germ/czech/pol/slov/ukrain (bit!)/bulg/turk/greece. from turkey i want to ferry to greece(south of athina?) do you know anything about this route? want to go from there up thru west coasts of old yugo and back into italy via slovinia for lakes/alps....tyke

It's five years since we rode home from Greece via the former Yugoslav.
August this year we rode down through Italy and caught the ferry from Barri to Igoumenitsa (Crap crossing if you don't have a cabin) then rode to Thessaloniki, Karamoti, Alexandrovpoli and in to Turkey to Eceabat on the Gallipoli Peninsular. Crossed the water to Cannakale and then through mid Turket riding east all the time.

Dunno if this helps :)

hi guys.

Myself and Cole left the UK at the end of March and got to Greece in early April. We met Marcin Safranow in Montenegro. At this time of year you will experience a wide range of temperatures. In Austria it was 17c in the valleys during the day. But into the minuses on the passes. At night it was freezing. In Montenegro it got up to 28c and when passing through the Albanian/Greek mountains there was snow on the ground.

If passing through Macedonia watch out for the €50 compulsory insurance fee. It's not a bribe. It is official and can only be waived if you have a green card insurance document which sadly UK insurance companies don't or won't issue. If the Greek's at the border are asking where you are going don't say "Macedonia" It is a sore historical topic as Macedonia was an area that covered modern day Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece and Albania and was essentially Greek.

This is Northern Greece in April

3504669321_4ca5116ae6_b.jpg

3504668529_bea4b81a8f_b.jpg

3505476286_a006ce458f_b.jpg

When approaching from the north we arrived in Florina. It has a completely different feel to what you would normally associate with Greece. It felt quite French to me. Whether that was a combination of the architecture, the landscape and temperature I don't know.

3454665800_5dabb9556a_b.jpg

We did a similar trip in 2006 maybe not the exact route but through a similar route UK, France, Germany, Austria, Hungry, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Italy, France, UK a total of 5,786 miles

I have a roadtrip report on my blog-thingy www.whereistonynow.co.uk/tour2cure.htm which will give an idea of the route with some pics etc.

My wife and I went last May.
We used the Venice Patras Ferry, then round the top of Athens to Rafina. From there we visited Andros, Paros, Sifnos, Folegandros, Naxos then back to Athens and on to the Pelepponese; Epidavros then Olympia and back to Patras for the Ferry to Venice.
Took eight weeks, had a fantastic time.
Just working out how to get the money and the time off to do something similar again.
Agree that you need to keep your wits about you!
Phil

Back
Top Bottom