Bike history or info please

Tonibe63

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anybody know the history of this bike?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Tonibe63/SDC10251.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/Tonibe63/SDC10254.jpg
It's got loads of mods done including WP suspension front and rear, machined triple clamps, fatbars, billet handlebar clamps and risers, Touratech footrests and levers, KTM LC4 rear subframe and seat, Touratech petrol tank, BMW stamped exhaust, K&N filter, Touratech chaingaurd, little wheels and offroad wheels ..... etc etc.
I bought it a few weeks ago and after talking to Touratech they think it was built by Simon Pavey in 2002 or 2003 and they referrred to it as 'The Italian Bike' but couldn't give me any more info than that-they didn't even have details of the Touratech petrol tank caoacity.
Although it's looking a bit neglected at the moment it has had some serious time, money and effort spent on it in the past, infact more fiddling than a casual amatuer would have done, which makes me think the story is true. I've also heard that Lee Walters rode it in the dawn to dusk a few years ago but didn't finish.
I'm particularly interested in wether it was built originally with saddle or pannier tanks for use in long distance rallies.
I'm hopefully going to get it fettled up ready for the Cambrian Rally later this year:D.
Any info much appreciated even if you tell me it's been thrown off a cliff:eek:.

Cheers-Tony

Ohh bugger can't get the pictures to come up

Looks like a bike that was on Ebay a year or so ago.

However, I know nowt about it personally.

Helpful? Probably not.

Hi,

I was looking at that bike a while ago and also spoke to the owner of it at a last years Cambrian.

Most of the bike has Touratech parts. Forks, shock by WP, rear subframe is the same as the F650RR with a small tank sat in the middle of the subframe to reduce weight. Its called the italian because BMW Italy had a race series based on the bikes. I think you might find some fotos of the bike on www.f650.com
Simon Pavey had this bike built and it was used to marshal enduro's according to the chap I spoke to. Didn't hear anything about it being raced.
The chap I spoke to said that the engine had been rebuilt because he had bought it with a blown head gasket.

Colt had bought the body kit a while ago but I dont know if he sold it or not. He will be able to chime in.

Good to see that somewhere down the line of owners, the butt ugly aprilia head fairing has been replaced

Looks like a bike that was on Ebay a year or so ago.

However, I know nowt about it personally.

Helpful? Probably not.

Yes my daughters boyfriend bought it before getting bored with filling it up all the time, the fuel light came on after 30 miles but I've now sorted that.

Hi,

I was looking at that bike a while ago and also spoke to the owner of it at a last years Cambrian.

Most of the bike has Touratech parts. Forks, shock by WP, rear subframe is the same as the F650RR with a small tank sat in the middle of the subframe to reduce weight. Its called the italian because BMW Italy had a race series based on the bikes. I think you might find some fotos of the bike on www.f650.com
Simon Pavey had this bike built and it was used to marshal enduro's according to the chap I spoke to. Didn't hear anything about it being raced.
The chap I spoke to said that the engine had been rebuilt because he had bought it with a blown head gasket.

Colt had bought the body kit a while ago but I dont know if he sold it or not. He will be able to chime in.

Good to see that somewhere down the line of owners, the butt ugly aprilia head fairing has been replaced

Thanks for that Komatias.
The water pump seals had gone apparently and been replaced but the new ones have only lasted about 500 miles. I've just redone them including the shaft and impeller as these looked to be the originals, hopefully they will last longer this time.
The butt ugly Aprillia fairing is here too but it's staying in the box of bits. It certainly performs well compared to my previous F650GS and pulls quickly and cleanly through the rev range. It's a great fun bike and much easier to move around than my 1200GS:D.

hi Mike
sorry for delay just caught up with this.
i don't know the bike,although i had seen it on ebay 2 or 3 times.

George was nearly right,i did have a body kit the same as this.not the one you have.
I can remember some info I found out about the bodykit.
a project i had it mind but decided not to continue with.
between you and me ha ,i had some health problems and after that lost interest.
the subframe put the bike even higher for a 5ft 7 rider and small tank restricted distances travelled.
I sold kit my after i sold my dakar.

look for posts on il trofeo dakar.
it was an Italian rally ran a few yrs i think 2002/3/-4?
An Italian maker sold a kit called marathon?
comprises new subframe/elkamet 12litre? fuel tank from the rallye bikes.technosel seat and ktm rear sidepanels and tail piece.
idea was for weight saving short rallies.
also an extra was the titanium race single silencer and excel wheels.

so they were all original bmw dakars that just had the kit fitted.
fairly easy to put back to standard.

the pics you have are the bike now? you should also have some small blue panels for between the seat and the front fairings,just to fill the gap.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom