Can I ride a 650 on a Cat A licence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex-reed

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place. I guess it would be better to ask in here rather then one of the more specific sub-forums

As the title asks, since i'm under 21 I only can have a Cat A licence, which means untill I have been riding for 2 years I can ride only bikes to the effect of, up to 25kW(33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. Motorcycle combination with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.

All I can find on the BMW site is bikes going to around 60BHP, can anyone give me a idea if I will have to wait till i'm 21 or are there some bikes that I could ride on my licences?

I'd guess most of the GS and the like have to much power currently and I will have to wait, but its worth a shot.

Thanks in advance. ::thumb2

Aye you can but..........

If not already fitted, you'll need the restrictor kit for the F650.

Some were sold new with this in place (summat to do with the carb diaphragms IIRC)

Have a good nosey about on F650.co.uk :thumb2

650 on a Cat A

My lad is doing just this - he is taking his Module 1 and 2 in the next few weeks then planning to ride a restricted Huskie 620 - with his bike it's a fairly easy mod to restrict the air intake.

Not sure about how to do it on your machine but if it's doable it would be legal - and waaaaaay more street cred than a 125!

Tallthinhack:moped:

Thanks alot, will get that website in abit mungrel when I get some time.

Mucho kudos!

And definatly Tall, wish him luck with his modules :)

Edit - had a look, seems like it won't be a huge job. Easy to take it off when i'm old enough too, Time to find a 650! :JB

My wife is currently on a restricted licence and she has a 54 reg F 650 GS. We took it to BMW and they put a restrictor kit (different throttle plate) on it for her. I think it cost about £30. Sorted!

i bought the restrictor for 5 sterling. took around 10mins fit including taking fairing off.

it is a throttle stop and just take old on off, held with 2 screws and then just screw new one on. it has 24KW stamped on it.

quick and easy to do.

As for Cert i dont have one but irish law does not specify that you have cert, just that bike is legal

just let you know, the restrictor just stops you going over 6K Rpm. so that limits you to 90mph.

it will not affect acccl or anything so bike will seem as if nothing changed until you want to overtake someone but even then i baerly hit the throttle stop

Yeh, I've had one for 4 or so months now, with the restrictor off, Rainbow fitted it for free, didn't get a certificate, though.

Haven't had any problems with speed yet or any overtaking. So it's all good.

Cheer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom