Can the Nuvi just show a simple top down map?

NeverRodeBefore

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I would like to ask a question to the Nuvi 550 users if I may.

Can the Nuvi550 show a top down map as you ride along with no destination in mind?

I used to use a PDA in a waterproof case, but the screen was almost impossible to read through the rubber cover. Not only that but I think the unit has developed a problem in that the battery discharges very quickly. This was not solved by the purchase of a new battery either :blast

I want to switch to a standalone waterproof unit. I don't care about listening to the directions or planning a route in Mapsource. I have an mp3 player, and my phone isn't bluetooth, so I don't have a bluetooth headset.

If I set off on a ride, will it show me a top down view of my location, and then direct me back home when I don't know where I am?

Hi NRB :)

I've not got a Nuvi 550, but I did look at it's spec before deciding to buy the Zumo 660, so I think I can answer your question.

In short, Yes.

The top down view you want is called 2D, and you have the choice of North up, or Direction of Travel up, I prefer the later.

And as long as you have set your Home location, all you need is to do is hit the Home button and it'll guide you home. Easy.

Chas.

I do have a Nuvi 550, & I confirm the above post; you can view a simple 'top-down' map, and can have this as your default view.

Actually, like most Nuvis/Zumos, even if you have the unit set up with 3D (Perspective) view, simply tapping on the screen will give a North-up 2D view, albeit frozen. This is handy when doing a quickie re-route.

Back
Top Bottom