Daily Routes

Norm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I presume that whatever software Mags is using to create these routes it will not convert them to Garmin, is that correct?

As I recall Arsey offered to produce routes and share them out, is that still the case?
I know Yoy has produced some but I think his routing includes 3 days in turkey!!!!!! :augie

It seems to make sense that we have all the same planned routes, sourced and prepared by the same person (well thats my opinion\preference) and perhaps they should be vetted and approved by the tour master (as long as he doesn't mind), what with all this off roading, off pisting and little known diversions onto ancient goat tracks being sneaked in.

Watchuallthink.... ANY VOLUNTEERS

And no I am not volunteering, I never got my orienteering badge in the boy scouts. :blast

You're lucky it wasn't Lesbos. :thumb2

I have trouble finding my ar5e with both hands...:eek:

I'll still be doing the routes for myself, as I have ulterior motives, but anyone's welcome to them if they want them. :thumb

I'd love to help, but its just taken a month to update the maps on my zumo, and it's still not right!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Just came back from Belgium and had a good mind to leave it there and let the bloody thing make it's own way home!

Just a quickie...

...I'm still plotting routes as they appear, so if anyone wants a copy of the finished file, PM me with your email addy - it'll be too large to post here.

I've asked Mags to send me the Google Map file(s), as I think I've found a way of converting it/them to Garmin format. In any event, there may be minor discrepancies, and so as long as you know that, we'll be olright. :thumb I'll clear those up with Mags beforehand, if he's up for it. I'm talking levels of detail in and around some of the towns/villages/cities we'll be riding through, not major variations in routes!

I intend to include hotel addresses etc., and for those meeting en route in France on the Thursday am/pm and into Vevey from the Dijon area on the Friday, I'll have routes for that, too, if you want them, or can/want to suggest alternatives. I'm not saying we should have a convoy, or follow-the-leader into Vevey, but have no problem taking part if that's the case. Might actually be fun :thumb

Yoy

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the PMs and emails. I'm updating what I have already prepared over the weekend, and will add to the route file as the rest of the days are published.

I'm trying to include hotel addresses and phone numbers etc., within the POIs, as I know the later Garmins can access this information, and if you're savvy enough, can set the thing up to dial the phone number for you, to book tiffin, whilst you're navigating the Stelvio Pass :eek:

Therefore, I'll soon send this present version (up to day 5), then send updates as and when, so you'll need to make sure you have the latest file loaded on 10 Sept. I expect to send no more than 3 or 4 files, and probably just 2 or 3. They'll be obviously named.

i.e. the last file I send will be the one to work from on the day.

Mags is preparing the higher level routes in Google Maps, which doesn't quite have the same level of detail as MapSource. Therefore, there's a chance there will be minor discrepancies, and if they occur, they should only affect routes through a town or complex road system, and should be few and far between.

When you view the files, if you spot anything glaringly obvious, or blatantly wrong with the routes - I still fancy a spell in Turkey - please let me know, and I'll seek guidance from the Magnum as a single point of contact (assuming he has the time), rather than a dozen of us clog up his Inbox. Does that seem OK?

At the end of the day, if it's completely wrong, us GPSers can get lost together :D

On another note, if any of you have difficulty accessing the files, or setting up your GPS, whilst I'm not an expert, I'll willingly chat to you over the phone before we go, or when we get there, and help set it up for you. I've used the Quest, StreetPilot 2610, and the Zumo 660.

Can't bloody wait to get there!

Yoy

Quick update - as Mags has kindly posted Day 7, I'll add that to the file and send out by Monday.

Would have done it today, but just crushed some ice and created some Mojitos for me and the present Mrs Joybringer, to sip serenely on the verandah.

Yoy

Sanity check, please

File being sent tonight, just waiting for one email address :thumb

The routes seem to be OK, and they seem to follow Mags' Google Maps, but I am missing the details/limjs for Days 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Day 3 is also causing me a little concern...

:confused:

File sent

Please check your Inboxes, and SPAM folder just in case, as I sent it at 2130.

If you still haven't received it, please PM me your email address and I'll send it again, just in case I've managed to lose or delete your original PM!

Yoy

Quick update

I'll be issuing a minor update that has all the 'Via' flags removed, to make it easier to see the routes in MapSource. :JB

I'll send that on in a day or 2, together with a Word document that includes all the hotel names, addresses, and phone numbers. I'll include a simple Text file too, just in case you don't have Word.:augie

In the meantime, for those that already have a copy, please do not distribute, as I'd rather manage the file distribution, for a number of reasons. If anyone else wants a copy, just PM me your email address, and I'll send you the file.

I'm still working on Day 3's route, to try and ascertain whether the 13 mile difference is Google Maps or MapSource related, but does anyone have any observations/comments etc in the meantime - for any of the routes?

10 more sleeps!!! :clap:clap:beerjug:

Chaps

I've had a slightly busy last few days, clearing up work issues, my Mum giving us a serious scare, and general lastminute.com activities.

I will be sending out a revised file (or files) very late tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Hope that's OK for everyone, but I don't think there are many changes. Day 3 was a Google Maps error (the 13 mile difference) not Garmin/MapSource, so just a few small tweaks are needed to make it all good.

Hope this is all OK, and not too late for you peeps.

Yoy

I've spent most of today re-plotting the routes, as I suspect there was a file corruption somewhere within the file structure, meaning the route file wouldn't transfer all the routes to a Zumo 660. :(

I've not had any feedback from users of other models, but I also remembered that the Quest and 2610 (and similar) don't use the NT technology of the later versions of Garmin gadgets :blast

So I had to rewrite those, too, using City Navigator Europe 2008 map set. You guys just need to make sure you have the relevant maps selected and loaded on your memory card (or internal memory in the case of the Quest) and transfer without any further intervention. I've tried these on a 2610 just now, and it works a treat :thumb2

Updated versions of the route files (one file per route (day) this time, to avoid any nasty corruptions will be on their way as soon as I've edited this.

For those that are using 660s, PLEASE make sure you have v3.30 of the software (via Garmin's Webupdater) so that I know we're all on the same wavelength. You'll also need City Navigator Europe NT 2010.1 maps.

I don't know if it's a temporary quirk with the 660, created by recent software upgrades, but you MUST adopt the following method of route file transfer for the time being, else it won't work. Trust me on this...5 hours later......:(

1. Send relevant route file to the 660 (not the Micro SD card), via MapSource and 'Send to Device'
2. Unplug the USB cable (you MUST transfer each file separately and follow the next steps before you send the next file, else the last one copied overwrites the previous one :tears:nenau)
3. When the Garmin finishes booting, wait for it to display "The imported routes were calculated with different maps. Would you like to recalculate the routes?". Hit NO (if you don't get this message, ignore the following, as you should be ok, but I'd be interested to see how many need to adopt this method)
4. Hit 'Tools', 'Custom Routes'
5. Select the name of the route you've just transferred
6. Hit 'Edit'
7. Hit 'Delete' and 'Yes'
8. Hit 'Back' , scroll down, hit 'My Data'
9. Hit 'Import Data' and 'Favourites'
10. Hit 'Select All', and hit 'Import', and then 'OK'
11. Hit 'Routes' and follow 10, above.
12. Hit 'Back', 'Back', scroll up, hit 'Custom Routes'
13. select the route name you've just created, and hit 'Preview'
14. This can take a little while to draw, but gives you an overview of the whole route, with a much reduced number of via 'flags'

660 route files will have 'Map v10' added to the file name, and I'll repeat these instructions in the email I'll send shortly.

I'll also have the Word document with the hotel details etc ready, too.

If anyone reading this, has a better method, or more expert knowledge of the file transfer issue above (with the Zumo 660) - please will you PM me?

Back
Top Bottom