Where do the Buells belong?

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
I've just bought a Buell Ulysses but do they belong to the HOGS section or somewhere else?

I love that engine..........!!:cool:

Any info/advice from other Buell owners greatly appreciated and I do have spare wheel bearings and a hot right leg.....!

FP.:thumb

Buell Ulysses??

Yeah, its amazing how people either love it or hate it, it's a bit like Marmite I suppose....!

First time I saw the demo bike in Edinburgh a few years ago I thought it was an amazing looking and sounding thing and I knew i'd have one someday.

The rest of the bike was quirky as hell with the fuel being in the frame, the oil being in the swingarm and of course the belt drive on a 'dualsport' aswell as the 'beavers arse' rack arrangement and the vibrations from the engine were like nothing i'd felt before on a 'modern' bike.

It'll be interesting to see how I get on with the bike compared to my old R1150GSA and F650GS as the Buells for touring and i'll keep my HP2 for the rougher stuff etc.

Relaibility and running costs don't seem too bad and the fuel economy seems good if other Uly owners reports on UKbeg are anything to go by. Depeciation isn't so good but new Buells with full luggage/heated grips etc are just over £8k which is a lot less than a 1200GS.

FP.

There you go, see - it proves I've ridden one......;) Far too bloody tall as well. That's Muppet's bike. He used to be on here when he had his R1100GS and I assume he still lurks a bit......:nenau

attachment.php

I've just bought a Buell Ulysses but do they belong to the HOGS section or somewhere else?

I love that engine..........!!:cool:

Any info/advice from other Buell owners greatly appreciated and I do have spare wheel bearings and a hot right leg.....!

FP.:thumb

Oh I wouldn't put it in with the HoGs, before you know it you'll be buying leather chaps :ymca and jacket with a "road captain" rocker,

I'd put it in the thumpers and smokers, not quite a single i'll grant but when sitting on one you wouldn't know thaty what with all them vibes :D

I must admit to a soft spot for the Uly, I'll need to get a test scoot arranged at some point

Suits you sir!

Mine came from Glasgow with full luggage/heated grips and only 1350miles on it.

I looked at a couple of Uly's in Edinburgh but they were dearer and the trade in wasn't so good but much, much better than BMW......! The ones down south were even better value and there was a bigger choice of course.(I was also looking at BMW 1200RT's but Mrs P said I was much too young for one of those just yet!)

I felt like a fish out of water when I walked into a Harley dealership on a saturday afternoon what with all those bandanas, tattoos and all those 'leather chaps' and that was just the girls. They all seemed a friendly enough bunch but to me they looked well, different as different as a bunch of guys standing around in 'twat suits' I suppose

The seat height on the Uly is massive but at least its not as high as the HP2 and the bars felt very similar to the GS's so in that respect I felt quite comfortable and the seat itself seems to be very comfy.

FP.

You are welcome to join us in here

we don't bite and you don't have to wear chaps and a bandana :ymca

Well Done mate,

I know you will love the Uly just as I do love mine...
we need to start planning that north cape trip....on the Uly's...

and yes, moderators - any chance of getting a seperate section for Buell's????

thx Lars

Happy Uly mate. :thumb2

I fitted a Free Spirits right side airscoop to mine and the fan hardly ever came on....fantastic improvement...direct shot of cooling air to the rear cylinder,no more fecking hair dryer soundtrack while riding in town and it also balanced the look of the bike.

25mm bar risers and the 4" taller Zero Gravity screen sorted the ergos out a treat too.

I had the brushed satin stainless Remus pipe on mine for a while...superb sound and fairly savage throttle response low down (butterfly valve permanently open,see)...but found it was actually nicer to ride with the stock pipe when it was refitted for sale of the bike.

Happy Uly mate. :thumb2

I fitted a Free Spirits right side airscoop to mine and the fan hardly ever came on....fantastic improvement...direct shot of cooling air to the rear cylinder,no more fecking hair dryer soundtrack while riding in town and it also balanced the look of the bike.

25mm bar risers and the 4" taller Zero Gravity screen sorted the ergos out a treat too.

I had the brushed satin stainless Remus pipe on mine for a while...superb sound and fairly savage throttle response low down (butterfly valve permanently open,see)...but found it was actually nicer to ride with the stock pipe when it was refitted for sale of the bike.

hey Tarka, yours sound similar spec'd to mine...
http://www.freewebs.com/bmwrideruk/mybuellxb12xulysses.htm

why did you sell the bike??

why did you sell the bike??

I changed how I like to ride...I wanted (and bought) a Triumph Scrambler.
I got tired of how the Uly was only truly happy when going for it all the time.

Also,I suddenly realised just how stuffed with electronics and how software reliant it was....so I got shut while the going was good.

All my bikes are carby ones and I can do everything on them myself. :thumb2

Still got mine! Had it just over 2 years from new. 21,000 miles and it's had rather a lot of problems, all sorted under warranty. Last problem was bad one though, it dropped a big end shell on the way day to Italy in May. Got it back home and into my dealers and they got Buell to agree to fund 80% of the repair as it was just a month out of warranty.

Yet to get the beast back, but I can't wait - off down to Austria in 2 weeks on it. I love the bike, it vibrates less than any other bike I have ridden at more than 3k revs, so that's most of the time. It really is super smooth, much better than the buzziness you get on some GS's (12's especially). Got a Remus on mine and it sounds fantastic. I can honestly say I cannot think of another bike available at the moment that would tick all the boxes that my Uly does. It's the most comfortable bike I've had, solo or 2 up, is plenty fast enough for me and can tackle some reasonable dirt tracking as well as be great fun on the road.

Can't see me changing it for a long time yet.

Interesting ...

... as I was musing on the possibility of a Buell at the weekend, but they do seem to have ridiculously long names. The one I was looking at was a Buell XB12S Super TT which appears to have been around for the 2007 model year only, and only available in white :nenau

Slightly longer swing arm and less steering rake than 'standard'. Apologies for the library picture.

Attachments

• Buell SuperTT.jpg
    Buell SuperTT.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 350
You do get the Super TT in other colours but the white does look good.
this has got to be one of the best bargain bikes about, if you hunt about you can pick them up for very little money

Farewell Ulysses!

My Buell Ulysses owning experience is now history aswell...........!:augie

Traded it in for a GSA30 last july...... just couldn't resist the lure the new 'cam head' boxer, it even sounds good for a BM.

Enjoyed my Uly though and it certainly had character, the engine was a great vibrating thundering torquey lump and the handling was very good for such a short, tall bike.:cool:

The heat from the engine was never an issue although I fitted the 'comfort kit' which reduced the fan noise, heated grips were very hot aswell and the Hepco Becker luggage was very good.

The bad points were the dreadful wheel bearings which were changed under warranty along with the rear wheel, rear axle, drivebelt and swingarm assembly.

The idle was never quite right on my bike either, either too fast, hunting or too low and it depended on whether the bike was warm or in a 'good mood'.

But, when riding the Uly it was great, the roar of the acceleration or the potato, potato off idle thrum and eyeball vibrating at idle double vision.

Enjoyed the experience............but the GS fits like an old pair of tartan
slippers and about as exciting.......!

Any other Buell owners left here? Lars????

:tumbleweed

FP.

i still have my Uly...and i have decided to keep her a long time.
i am getting a new belt fitted next week as the old one snapped after 18k mls...
and than i shall ride her more and more.
the wife and i just change our holiday plans so instead going 2 up on a honda we are now using our own bikes and go to Wales & Ireland maybe even a few days on the Isle of Man.

anyway the Buell has got bags of character and is a hoot to ride but still very easy to maintain and all day comfort is a given.
Compared to "FP"s Uly (which i have ridden) mine has got a few extra bits starting with the lovely sounding Remus and differnt screen etc...

anyway, i am still here with the Uly and plan to be for a long time!!!

Back
Top Bottom