A run round, for a change.

NeverRodeBefore

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm not one for aimlessly wandering. I do like to have some sort of destination in mind. Having decided to purchase a Nuvi550 I fitted it above the clocks so I can see it easily. Once I'm on the move it vibrates a lot less :nenau

I set off from mine intending to visit the Standedge canal tunnel. So a run through the small villages and out onto the A62, past the spot I dropped the GS. I got into Marsden ok and then missed the turning into the car park and ending up having to do a loop through the tiny-tiny backroads that are purely residential. I then got back to the car park and realised it was a 15minute walk to the place... sure I'm interested in industrial heritage... but not that interested :toungincheek

I rode to the place itself after numerous wrong turns (the GPS didn't know where it was) and then found the carpark was disabled only... no wonder I was getting funny looks. Fortunately I realised my error and left.

Attachments

• P1010090sh.jpg
    P1010090sh.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 207
Rather than come home I intended using the direct route across to Meltham and then Holme Moss mast.

These roads would not be my brothers liking as they were narrow and twisty. At one point I'm minding my own business, nice and steady not really making 'progress' only to come round a corner and almost face to face with an articulated truck. I stopped in the side of a turn and let it squeeze past.

The road eventually wound down to a little reservoir (the dam being the only straight bit) before joining the A635 (popular bike route with my Bro) which continues down towards Holmfirth. I however simply crossed the road and and went down to Holmbridge.

Attachments

• P1010096sh.jpg
    P1010096sh.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 172
When I started out driving, I cut my teeth so to speak on a system of lanes outside Holmfirth. This was to be a long awaited return. At the base of Holme Moss a track leads off to another reservoir. It 'was' stoney and relatively flat except for an occasional little depression and a gradual hill. This lane fed into another on that was a little rougher... and also back into the narrow tarmac lanes into Holmfirth, so I knew I had an easy way out.

As I started the lane I caught a glimpse of a sign saying road closed ahead. Now I know that there is a house down the lane, so it has to be open somewhere :nenau

I followed the lane (even shown n my Satnav) for a while, actually exceeding a speed limit... Every few yards there were signs saying 10mph and warning of pedestrians. This lane has obviously changed. The surface was pummeled flat, the dips had been filled with concrete slabs :eek

Eventually I got near the res'r and spotted a bloke apparently directing traffic :confused:

I'd just taken the road into a MASSIVE construction site :nenau

Never mind I gave the bloke a nod and rode right through. I got to the house and had a look at the steeper lane. It was a little rough, but what worried me was a step about 4" high part way up the slope. I rode upto it, then bottled it when I realised my feet wouldn't reach the floor. I'm a wuss, the thoughts of what would I do if I dropped it here entered my head. I wimped out and paddled my way back down the hill. Easy route out then :surrender

I then found the reason for the 'road closed' sign. The res'r fed into a system, which now didn't have a bridge :blast Nothing for it but to go back the way I'd came.

Attachments

• P1010097sh.jpg
    P1010097sh.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 186
I took a run to the top of Holme Moss, where I remembered not to turn off the bike, as the radio mast 'can' interfere with the immobiliser (my brother-in-laws GXer thou didn't like it up there). However I can say the Ten isn't bothered,I stalled it in the car park

I then retraced my steps and came back over the tops towards Greenfield. Well I had at least got the underside a bit dirty. Soon cleaned that off with my garden sprayer and a brush.

Just perhaps I should stick to laning with 4 wheels... I wasn't ever concerned about having to pick up the Landy

Attachments

• P1010102sh.jpg
    P1010102sh.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 190
Even more embarrassment... the GPS has a log..

42.4 miles
Moving average speed = 23.5 mph
Max speed = 50.2 (in a national speed limit zone... :blush)
Moving time 1 hr 48 min
Stopped 37min 48sec.

Odd, I was only out for 2 hours... I guess Id' not turned it off whilst I was cleaning it up :nenau

Another admission... I set the GPS position stood next to the bike... when I set off actually riding, after about a mile I realised I couldn't see any of the lights :blast

Back
Top Bottom