ITN - Itinerary files

WiiMW

Reaction score
I don't know if it has been mentioned but ....

ITN files are just simple text files... see below

If you create itn files and want to edit the description / exact point of the waypoint etc you can do this directly using "notepad" on a PC

The sample below is part of a route across Snake Pass

-161093|5321252|Light controlled bridge|0|
-162261|5324751|Church lane Baslow|0|
-164265|5326990|Calver (Petrol)|0|
-163644|5329563|Grindleford|0|
-165631|5332992|Hathersage|0|
-168945|5333744|Bamford (Petrol)|0|
-169785|5337377|Ladybower reservoir|0|
-191736|5344573|Glossop End Snake Pass|0|
-192772|5343374|Bypass Glossop Town centre?|0|
-194939|5342340|South Glossop A624|0|
-192315|5333875|Chapel ELF RailBridge|0|
-190844|5332485|Chapel ELF High St|0|
-198476|5332280|Whaley Bridge - High Peak|2|

the first 2 numbers are the GPS location ... 3rd field is the description ... 4th is the flag status generally all 0s (waypoint) except the last item =2 (destination )

this means you can add itns together (copy & paste)
put meaningful descriptions on them
reverse the order of the itn - by editing or I use a little exe that reverses the line order of a text file. So you can plan a route ... then have a return created in seconds.
Sometimes it is useful to edit the gps location slightly so it doesn't try to send you up the oppsite carriageway just to hit a waypoint (early TomTom sw was a bugger for this)

Hope you find it useful

:thumb2

Brilliant!

Great work WiiMW; I've often wondered about reversing a specific route. TT usually takes you back the same way, but only if you have the starting point as a Recent Destination, Itinerary waypoint, Favourite or spent ages finding it on the map manually.

One small niggle - beware of one-way roads, different sliproads etc. when reversing the route!

A

I received my TomTom yesterday and plan on creating itinerary routes for my entire trip to Europe next year, there is an application called Tyre, that uses Google Maps to allow you to very cleverly create itinerary routes.

It's free and definitely worth a look: http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

I did tinker a little with an app that used google maps a while back - probably was tyre.
The issue I had was the google map point was necessarily exactly the same as the tomtom point. Which could cause issues of you missing waypoints (which is really irritating).

The util I use for reversing these is called sorttext ... very manual (command line) but a lot quicker/ easier than cut&paste
I have to say I always check the itn on the TomTom by browsing the map to get around some of the niggles...

Like Andysdad said watch out for slip roads / one way streets .
One way to reduce the chance of this is to put the waypoints away from junctions / roundabouts/ try to avoid dual carriageways etc.
Often I put the waypoint on a single carriageway in the middle of nowhere and let TomTom join the dots ... add extra waypoints if it is not going quite where you wanted!

I should have said : the text itn (above) you can ...
Highlight the text , right click & "copy"
Open a new notepad /text document
paste the text in
save it as a "test.itn" file to your itn folder on your TomTom. (connected via USB)
Load the itinerary and check out the route :thumb
:D

TYRE is fantastic for this, you can do all said above but in a nice graphical interface.

Plus there is no chance of a typo wrecking your file. :)

Tyre is good but I prefer ITN Converter, it's a little less complex yet still does all I require.

The latest version of ITN Converter has the option of using viaMichelin mapping with those useful green lines along great biking roads. It can also use TomTom Routes mapping which should provide a close match to the mapping on your Rider. It can be run off a memory stick, or the SD card in your GPS connected via USB to a PC, handy for when you're away from home.

I'd like to point out that I'm a Garmin man at heart, though I do have TomTom Navigator on my phone. I use ITN Converter to translate between Garmin, TomTom, Autoroute etc. both for myself and when organising club ride-outs.

Back
Top Bottom