TomTom -> Power Cable

ILMV

Reaction score
Hello all

This post is almost certainly going to repeat another, I have done a search but cannot get the exact answer I am looking for.

I have a TomTom Rider arriving tomorrow, and I want to connect the power cable to the bike (F800GS), I don't want to hard wire it, I just want to connect it to the 'cigarette' connector next to the key fob.

Now, here's where I need clarification, the TomTom power cable that comes in the box looks like it has two bare connections, can I simply go to my BMW dealer and pick up a plug to fit this socket and fit / solder it on to the TomTom lead?

Will I need an in-line fuse?

Cheers :)

The problem I have is it's arriving tomorrow (Thursday), I need it for Saturday and I live a good hour from my nearest dealer (BMW, not drug ;))... just want to make sure I have everything I need before my 340+ mile ride :)

Now, here's where I need clarification, the TomTom power cable that comes in the box looks like it has two bare connections, can I simply go to my BMW dealer and pick up a plug to fit this socket and fit / solder it on to the TomTom lead?

Yes but check they have one first. I got mine off eBay.

Will I need an in-line fuse?

No

I assumed that the red cable of the TomTom connector (assuming the R1 is that same as the R2) is positive, and I was informed by the BMW dealer that the pin of the plug is positive.

So, as you see in the image, red = positive = middle pin, black = negative = outer connection.

bmw_tomtom_plug.jpg

TomTom Power Cable

Hi, just picked up on this thread from yester year. It seems to cover all I need to know - except for one thing.

Did it work?

Heard / read so many confusing reports, just hoping it really was as simple as this.

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom