Another software update...

:thumb2 must have missed it !!! been updating 30mins now and only 24%

I updated via the Webupdater program.

It took about 3 minutes to download the update and 3 minutes to update my 660.

The improvement to town names on the map display is very impressive :)

well spotted CC !
Doesn't seem to have done much though !

well spotted CC !
Doesn't seem to have done much though !

Well I've only been able to test the display of names so far, but the listed changes look promising, which ones have you found to have not worked then ?

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

• Added MSN Direct v3 support
  • Added reverse route functionality
  • Added South African traffic support
  • Fixed several issues with the trip log
  • Fixed issue with route recalculation
  • Fixed incorrect turn angle seen in some roundabouts
  • Fixed import of favorites
  • Fixed issue when importing GPX routes
  • Display city names on the main map
  • Prevent accidental stop of route while holding the Back button
  • Added support for enhanced audio Audible books
  • Fixed navigation prompt playback for some helmets/headsets when A2DP is streaming
  • Fixed an issue that could cause problems with MapSource or WebUpdater

It's not so much that the listed ones don't work, rather that there's so few changes. There's a long list of bugs and wishes (my particular ones are a higher level of detail, and the option to turn off autozoom). Understandably perhaps, given their complexity, not many of these have been addressed yet. See zumoforums for details..
Peter

Added reverse route functionality

i'm very pleased to see that added :)

:thumb2 must have missed it !!! been updating 30mins now and only 24%

Are you sure you are not updating the maps? :D A quarter complete in 30 minutes could equal 100% in two hours, very similar to the time maps take.

Software updates should be very quick, via broadband.

Are you sure you are not updating the maps? :D A quarter complete in 30 minutes could equal 100% in two hours, very similar to the time maps take.

Software updates should be very quick, via broadband.

No its the Firmware update to 3.30, I log onto the Garmin site conect my Zumo and it tells me if im running the latest version, it told me there was an update click to download. I ended up going to bed and leaving the PC busy downloading!!! I am glad to say that this morning it was completed and installed on the Zumo :thumb2

No its the Firmware update to 3.30, I log onto the Garmin site conect my Zumo and it tells me if im running the latest version, it told me there was an update click to download. I ended up going to bed and leaving the PC busy downloading!!! I am glad to say that this morning it was completed and installed on the Zumo :thumb2

Very strange, the download is about 12mb, so it took me about 15 minutes in total to download it, update my unit and test it out. Are you on dial-up, as that would explain it.

BTW, why would the Garmin site tell you that you were running the latest version, and then offer you an update ?

It really sounds like you were downloading the maps, but if you say not I'll not disagree with you :)

Very strange, the download is about 12mb, so it took me about 15 minutes in total to download it, update my unit and test it out. Are you on dial-up, as that would explain it.

BTW, why would the Garmin site tell you that you were running the latest version, and then offer you an update ?

It really sounds like you were downloading the maps, but if you say not I'll not disagree with you :)

No im on Broadband :nenau

I must have explained it wrong, what i ment to say is when i connect my 660 to the Garmin site, it tells me if there are any software updates and if my maps are up to date. When i connected last night it told me there was a software update but not a map update.

My 660 is now running version 3.30 :beerjug:

No im on Broadband :nenau

I must have explained it wrong, what i ment to say is when i connect my 660 to the Garmin site, it tells me if there are any software updates and if my maps are up to date. When i connected last night it told me there was a software update but not a map update.

My 660 is now running version 3.30 :beerjug:

(a) Were you updating your software using Garmin's WebUpdater software? In which case it should take well under a minute on a good broadband connection.

OR

(b) Were you using the 'My dashboard' tab on a 'My Garmin' to check for updates? The 'My dahboard' update of the software is a process that should take about two minutes on a good broadband connection. It then requires the device to be disconnected, turned off and restarted, then reconnected to the PC again to check the installation is complete.

To my inexpert eye, the difference between the two is that (a) simply updates software, whilst (b) updates the firmware, too.

Neither process (a) or (b) should require hours or an overnight run. Only map updates should need a lengthy number of hours to download to a PC and then a separate installation (again an hour or longer) into the device.

As you were not installing maps, I can only assume Garmin's own servers (or your ISP or PC) were on go slow that evening.

To my inexpert eye, the difference between the two is that (a) simply updates software, whilst (b) updates the firmware, too.

I don't quite follow the above.

I always update using the Webupdater stand alone software on my PC.

So are you saying that as I'm using method (a) my firmware is not up to date, only my software ?

I don't quite follow the above.

I always update using the Webupdater stand alone software on my PC.

So are you saying that as I'm using method (a) my firmware is not up to date, only my software ?

As I said:

It's a guess, nothing more.

There is certainly a difference in the time taken (and methodolgy) between updating via the Webupdater and that offered under the 'My dashboard' tab on 'My Garmin'.

I updated to the latest specification using Webupdater. It took under a minute including the second search when it offers new voices etc. via the tickbox menu. It was successful.

I then, 10 minutes later, used 'My dashboard' to check the same device. It said that updates were available, so I went ahead.

It took about two minutes and required the disconnection of the device, restarting and reconnection. Ie. A longer and different process, including one of the usual 'Percntage done' time bars, which you do not see on Webupdater. It also flashed up, Firmware update... but of course I have no idea if it was actually doing anything.....

.... I have not tried it the other way around, going: 'My dashboard' update, then going to Webupdater.

Give it a go and / or ask Garmin what the differences are, if any.

Back
Top Bottom