Orkney and Shetland 11th-16th Sept

wader

Just decided on a trip out to the top of the UK. Anyone wishing to meet up for any of it is more than welcome.

Starting out Baildon West Yorks Thurs evening or Friday am, heading for M6, then A9, then ferry to Orkney and depending on time, maybe Shetlands for 2 nights.

No specific plans yet but i'd like to find some good pubs up there - maybe some bonnie gals too! Been to Orkney before but just the one night and only the mainland. Any recommendations...?

Hello matey

I was planning on doing a run up to John O'Groats about that date, so I might well join you on that.What you doing for accommodation,doing the tent thing or going posher?

I personally prefer the tent stuff,oh and before I forget..whats the price for the ferry for bikes?

Andy

100gs pd.....in a fetching gaybar turquoise and white.

Just been checking the ferry prices, and they are pretty damn cheap for motorbikes....very affordable.

I have even got that tingly adventure feeling again,as it seems quite cheap to ferry across to Iceland with a bike as well.....anyone know what the weather like this time of year there?

Sorry, been out of PC range...

Yeah, I went a couple of years ago and I'm sure they were much more expensive. I'll be doing youth hostel/tent in the that order!

Sent my number on PM Andy.

Lerwick:

Go to the Lounge Bar on Mounthooly St.

Looks feckall from the outside, go upstairs -it's the place on mainland for live music.

Best chippy is the Fort chippy just below Fort Charlotte at the end of the main street. Charlotte Guest House (opposite the chippy) is owned by the same people and very nice. Captain Flints is the livliest bar in Lerwick, if you want that.

Don't worry about parking your bikes anywhere, no probs at all up there.

I thought that the ferry from Scotland to Iceland had been stopped until further notice, probably due to the Icelandic economy. Had hoped to get to iceland, via shetlands and Faroes but have had to change plans, anyone know any different?

I thought that the ferry from Scotland to Iceland had been stopped until further notice, probably due to the Icelandic economy. Had hoped to get to iceland, via shetlands and Faroes but have had to change plans, anyone know any different?
Like you, I’ve got Faroe and Iceland on my list, but the logistics are a little bit tricky. Smyril Line used to call at Lerwick (Shetland) in both directions on their round trip from Denmark to Iceland, but I understand that they lost their berthing slots when Northlink replaced P&O. Thereafter, they used to call at Scrabster (near Thurso), but have now stopped serving the UK. They are, however, still going strong: www.smyril-line.com

Back
Top Bottom