Channel swim - thanks to sponsors!

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We made it!!!

After nearly 2 weeks of delays while the storms blew past and the seas settle, a window in the weather opened and at 02h00 onTuesday morning we entered the water just West of Dover.

Yesterday afternoon, after 13 hours, 8 minutes, we made it and reached France.

I'm no stranger to endurance events, but Jeez this was flippin hard!

I managed to raise over £2000 for the Ichthyosis support Group - may I say a special and really heart felt thank you to the tossers who supported me...

Gordon Millar / Rockchunk :thumb
Richard Carpenter / Dickieboy :thumb
ironandsteel :thumb
Wanderer :thumb
Dave Dyer :thumb
brassmonkey001 :thumb

.. and anyone else I have missed.

Thanks guys I am massively grateful and the charity itself is overwhelmed with the support this has raised. You've made a real difference.

Paul G (the other) - currently drying out..... :beerjug:

Wow, well done:clap

That's some achievement, something to be really proud of:bow

Shep

..if you're interested...

Here's our route, and a pic of me with my mate Matt (he's the skinny one on the right) after we'd finihed.

Attachments

• Chart Picture.JPG
    Chart Picture.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4120.JPG
    IMG_4120.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 115
You both look knackered :D

Well done... a brilliant achievement :bow No way I'd even contemplate it :eek:

Well done that man:thumb

I swam the Dursey sound a few weeks ago for sponsoring the Allihies mine museum. Can only be done on certain days of the month due to viscous currents... Took me 20 minutes.... Bloody cold though....

I made 125 euros, but only had two hours to get my sponsors....

Thanks for the comments guys.

It's a funny old event... almost two in one. The first part is crossing from Dover to about 2 miles off the French coastline. That's all about keeping going, hoping for small waves and dodging ships.

The second part is actually making land. The current along that coast is fierce... at one point we saw a static buoy and it was under water, straining on its tethering as the current raced past.

Our most difficult swimming was the last 4 hours, swimming hard towards the coast and being washed along perhaps 4-5 kms for every 500 metres closer to the beach... The map of our route shows that quite clearly.

Had we gone according to plan 2 weeks ago (ie no storms) we would have had more gentle 'neap' tides, but yesterday the difference between high and low water at Dover was 6 metres. That's a lot of water to shift - when the tide turns, it's like someone has pulled a big bath plug out!

Still, all in a good cause and it was a great thing for a bunch of mates to achieve.

Cheers all :thumb2

PG

Cor, I'm well impressed.
In fact I'm very very very impressed.
First it was Captain Webb and now The Other PaulG.
Does that mean you are going to be mentioned on matchboxes now ?
Swimming is not really my forte although I did manage a length once, which is true by the way.

blimey I missed the thread on this... I struggle walking to the car let alone swim...

hmmm that don't read right does it....:blast

what's the details of your just giving page?

I'll dive to the bottom of the pool see if there's owt lying about...:D

Back
Top Bottom