Headset HT noise - info

City Slicker

I just posted this to a buddy, so sharing the same info with you guys:

I was getting a lot of HT noise, made more noticeable because of the new custom earplugs with speakers.

I found out that by re-wiring the Autocom loom so that it avoided the HT coil and leads helped a lot - here's a pic of where any of the wires run to now, along the spine of the bike (see pic):

I also isolated the switched power positive so that the power runs directly from the battery. Finally, I installed a suppressor from Halfords to the ignition side of the HT coil(see pic):

The HT noise disappeared completely.

Reading about the HT leads, I discovered that very few companies use top-quality ones, and in any case they are considered as consumable items as they normally break down over time (5 years normal use). BMW actually use one of the better makes from BEHR, but the suppression is poor. Just try moving a hand even near one of the HT leads while it is running and the noise is transferred trough the fingers from 5-10cm away. There is a replacement cable that will do a proper job of suppression, from a company called Magnecor (see www.magnecor.co.uk) called KV85 which they will custom make for the GS. I went part way down that road before fixing the problem, but it remains something that I intend to do one day.

Hope this helps

CS

Attachments

• apartment.jpg
    apartment.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 168
Suppressor

Closeup

Attachments

• road rage test result.jpg
    road rage test result.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 255