How tall are you guys?

Lukipela

Sorry to post this again, but after nearly a month of riding the bike including a low-seat swap & a 14-days / 2800km Trans-Mongolia rally, I still couldn't come to terms with the height of this bike. And I'm not small either. Around 182 cm & 78-80 kg geared.

I tried to lower the overall height by adjusting the rear susp ring upward (slacken the stock spring preload) & pushed the front shocks up about 2 cm, and still barely feel comfortable though I can now put both my feet on the ground (half tiptoe kinda). But the problem now is that the sag is about 130-135mm & the rear of the bike seems to be very low & springy. Once the license plate even got caught with the tire & burned half the lettering.

For reference, the top curl of my (yellow) spring is level with the black Ohlin lettering on the oil canister & the adj ring is about 0.5cm above that.

For the types of extreme mountain trails we're riding here in Vietnam & Indochina, being able to comfortably put both feet on terrafirma is vital.... matters of life & death ... no jokes ...

Any opinions or suggestions pleaseeeeeee....

Cheers,Tim.

contact performance parts in the uk they import Hyper-pro springs you may be able to get some lower fork and rear shock springs that they will be uprated too so shouldnt have the problem of the number plate hitting the tyre

or have a custom setup made which should drop the overall frame height.

I'm abit heavier than you and found the bike okay so what about a couple of house bricks in your pockets.

which rally did you do as I'm off next year to have a go...

@ Brommer: how far up do yon adjust your rear shock adj ring? Compare to the OHLiNS black lettering on the oil reservoir? Are you using stock 58 spring? can you put both your feet on the ground comfortably?

@ Lo-IQ: we join a small/private 14_days rally of about 40 guys from several countries, with my team of 6 from Vietnam. It was sort of a survival kind of ride, no support of any kind. We bought our own tents, sleeping bags, foods/provision, spare parts etc... 1200 km cross Gobi desert & 1600 km cross the steppe, the Altai mountain range, all the way to northern Siberia border. Pretty awesome, very hard riding too. You don't wanna know the 'road' condition in Mongol. One of my guy busted a testy on the last day 60 km away from the finish line, and had to have op to remove it. All of our helmets were broken. Body armors are all scraped too :) I fell off the rocky passes atop 3500m/4000m mountains few times... lucky only bruises & scratches & armors gone... If you go next year, gotta be careful. Go end of July early Aug, less rain. Bring warm clothing & heated gloves as temp is severe (38-40 celscious noon - Subzero late evening). Must have good terrain map & loaded GPS. We got lost quite a few times as there are no clear roads to follow. One day we rode from 8 am to midnight and only advanced 25km. Other time 2 full days of 14h riding only cover 70km. Also bring plenty of socks & waterproof thigh boots. Lots of rivers to Cross. And the water is damn icy cold

@ Lo-IQ: we join a small/private 14_days rally of about 40 guys from several countries, with my team of 6 from Vietnam. It was sort of a survival kind of ride, no support of any kind. We bought our own tents, sleeping bags, foods/provision, spare parts etc... 1200 km cross Gobi desert & 1600 km cross the steppe, the Altai mountain range, all the way to northern Siberia border. Pretty awesome, very hard riding too. You don't wanna know the 'road' condition in Mongol. One of my guy busted a testy on the last day 60 km away from the finish line, and had to have op to remove it. All of our helmets were broken. Body armors are all scraped too :) I fell off the rocky passes atop 3500m/4000m mountains few times... lucky only bruises & scratches & armors gone... If you go next year, gotta be careful. Go end of July early Aug, less rain. Bring warm clothing & heated gloves as temp is severe (38-40 celscious noon - Subzero late evening). Must have good terrain map & loaded GPS. We got lost quite a few times as there are no clear roads to follow. One day we rode from 8 am to midnight and only advanced 25km. Other time 2 full days of 14h riding only cover 70km. Also bring plenty of socks & waterproof thigh boots. Lots of rivers to Cross. And the water is damn icy cold

OH... OH.... OH.... sounds brilliant not the broken nuts bit but the rest sounds spot on...:thumb2

i have a static sag of 38mm and a dynamic of 110 with the stoch rear spring.
Dont know how far it is a the lettering of the ohlins. I think that's nit relevand\t because a spring wears so a fresj srping will be different in high then a old one, so do youre static sag corretly.

I can put both foot on the floor not totsaly flat but stabile, but i dont care much for that, whilst riding you dont need to put both foot on the grond.
I see people who are 160 165 cm riding like a god on the bike.
On the other hand i have lon g legs an a smaal body, perhaps thats why my feet are easely on the grond.

Use the correct sag you need the negitive suspension!!

Hi Brommer .. what's a negative suspension? sorry if the Q is a bit stupid :)

I'm 183cm and with the correct sag (40mm/110mm textbook) I can barely place both mo my feet on the ground tiptoed -even with my thick-soled riding boots ... reduced the sag to 50mm/130mm and swapped out the stock seat for a lower one, then I felt a bit more comfortable, but still the feet not flat on ground...

For the kind of mountain trails we do here, it's VITAL that I can sometimes balance the bike with both my feet firmly planted on ground. Otherwise very dangerous, sometimes death ...

Been thinking about getting another bike .. this one really gives me the frustration ... but I do very much love it's power and slim profile ...

i have a static sag of 38mm and a dynamic of 110 with the stoch rear spring.
Dont know how far it is a the lettering of the ohlins. I think that's nit relevand\t because a spring wears so a fresj srping will be different in high then a old one, so do youre static sag corretly.

I can put both foot on the floor not totsaly flat but stabile, but i dont care much for that, whilst riding you dont need to put both foot on the grond.
I see people who are 160 165 cm riding like a god on the bike.
On the other hand i have lon g legs an a smaal body, perhaps thats why my feet are easely on the grond.

Use the correct sag you need the negitive suspension!!

Back
Top Bottom