V for Victory, well sort of

PW Cymru

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Took a Victory Hammer out for a test run today, just to see what its like on the dark-side you understand.

Have to say its a beautiful looking bike and appears on the whole well put together.

I've never ridden a cruiser before and it took a little getting used to, 3 of the guys in work have various models in the Victory range and they sound great accelerating away from the front gate at 1 minute past home time.

First thing that really struck me was the effect a huge rear tyre (250 mm) has on corners, it feels really odd and doesn't seem at all balanced with the skinny front. It takes quite an effort to turn at first but you do eventually get used to counter steering which makes it a bit easier.

The motor is a 1731cc 4 valve per cylinder V-twin giving 97bhp, have to say I was expecting ripping acceleration, what with all the noise’n all.

Disappointed in the power to say the least, there’s just no go in it, yes it accelerates and makes a great noise but I was expecting a big torquey arm wrenching motor. With all those cubes and a V-twin I was also expecting a big dollop of engine braking but there was quite a bit less than the GS1150.

Handling, well you don’t really buy these things for the handling for obvious reasons. The front has USD forks that just can’t cope with rough roads that are oh so common in my part of the world.

Each encounter with a rough section of tarmac resulted in a violent tremor through the grips which really upsets the bike. However on smooth tarmac it behaves fine.

On the braking side it has twin Nissin up front and a large single at the rear. Normally I rely on the power of the front brake to do most of the stopping but these twin Nissin were really weak. However combined with the rear brake the stopping force was pretty good.

Overall was I impressed, well strangely yes I was because it is fun to ride and to me bikes are there to be enjoyed. It certainly turned heads and in my short 1 hour ride of the bike I have to admit I was slightly drawn to the dark-side.

I suppose its right when people say that they are lifestyle purchases and everything that goes with them, handling, brakes, power all of which are compromised but as a package it sort of fits.

Would I buy one, probably not, especially at the quoted price of £14k new for the bike as it was with it’s “power package”.

If you do see one of these giving it the beans through the twisties, he or she will be trying really hard 

Attachments

• 2008-victory-hammer-5_800x0w.jpg
    2008-victory-hammer-5_800x0w.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 337
I'm surprised you found the performance a bit bland, i've never ridden one but always thought/hoped that they would be a spirited ride (in a cruizer stylee:rolleyes:)

Shep

Perhaps I was expecting a bit much or it just wasn't what I expected.

That 250 rear tyre is just ridiculous and it made the thing feel all wrong in anything other than a staright line.

they just run wide on corners is all. you have to give them a bit more steering input than most bikes :toungincheek

never ridden a victory but i had a 260 rear on a vrod. just needed a firm hand through the turns.

Back
Top Bottom