Where can I go trail riding near London?

Eurostar

Can you recommend me somewhere a bit muddy and hilly within reach of south west london? I want to go somewhere on a weekday where I can practise for a few hours.

Regents Park has some nice water crossings and once you get bored hop over to a small clearing called Green Park. Well worth the effort. :)

Euro,
Where in sarf lunnun are you? do you have transport for your bike or do you intend to ridee it to and from a lane session?

Cos there are trails in Kent (pilgrims way) Surrey or The Chilterns (icknild way/ridgeway) only a spit from J6 M40.

Decide where you want to go then look at a good OS map or talk to the council for approved lanes in the area you choose.

Eurostar said:
Can you recommend me somewhere a bit muddy and hilly within reach of south west london? I want to go somewhere on a weekday where I can practise for a few hours.

What bike do you have? If it's suitable, you could always join us on the monthly "Surrey Wombat Hunt". But check out this video first from the Wombat Hunt threads, for which you will need QuickTime Player V6.5 to view it.

Mucky Helmetier It's big, so best downloaded on broadband.

When it's dry I've been round the 50/60 mile course on my GS Adventure. :D

I'm in Fulham and I've got an 1150 but no van or trailer etc. The wombat trail looks good...tho perhaps a bit wet just now? When's your next excursion? And how do I find it if I fancy a bash on my own?

As for other trails...is it just a case of buying an OS map and sticking to RUPPs? Apologies for my ignorance, but I have no idea what's legal and what isn't.

Thanks.

Euro,
The GS is a big bike to learn on:eek: Get a 250/400 built for the job.
I do not like riding trails on my own. It is easy to fall and damage yourself in a way that could leave you stranded. I allways have at least one mate how can get help if needed.

Since the wombat hunts started there is a lot of stuff on the BB search for it.

or Try these people for good advice
http://www.trf.org.uk/

The GS is a big bike to learn on .

Tell me about it! My first ever excursion off road (Rally of Discovery in Ireland two years ago) was on the 1150 - there were 4 of us together and whenever an 1150 got really stuck it would take all four of us to rescue it. The worst mile took an hour and a half.

I've only done a grand total of 7 days offroading but I need to learn on my 1150 because I want to explore the Sahara on it. I've done the BMW off road course and need some practice before I do the advanced one.

As for getting stuck/injured on my own...well if I can't survive in Surrey the Sahara's probably not on the agenda! So I'll pack a mobile phone and triple body armour and cross my fingers. Just off to pick up my made to measure knee braces now...

Last year I had gone on a trip to the French Alps with a group of riders, none of them wanted to ride more than 10 yards off-road. I then had this crazy idea to go off on my own.

All was well until I decided to go down a path that got more and more narrow. Then I was faced with the enevitable fallen log. No way round that then!

It was so narrow, the only thing to do was to lay the bike down on one of the cylinder heads and swing it round. It then started to piss down with rain and rapidly turned the path into a slimy mud bath.

Getting the 1150GS Adventure back up that path took over five hours, on what I had just ridden in 5 minutes.

Moral of the story, don't go off-road by yourself, if you can't get yourself out of trouble on your own. Ride carefully then! ;)

If you want to try some gentle stuff, there is a trail that starts on the A25 at Wootten and goes to Leith Hill in Surrey. It's about 4 miles in length with sandy sections. Go in the summer and the sand is very soft. :D

The GS is a big bike to learn on .

Tell me about it! My first ever excursion off road (Rally of Discovery in Ireland two years ago) was on the 1150 - there were 4 of us together and whenever an 1150 got really stuck it would take all four of us to rescue it. The worst mile took an hour and a half.

I've only done a grand total of 7 days offroading but I need to learn on my 1150 because I want to explore the Sahara on it. I've done the BMW off road course and need some practice before I do the advanced one.

As for getting stuck/injured on my own...well if I can't survive in Surrey the Sahara's probably not on the agenda! So I'll pack a mobile phone and triple body armour and cross my fingers. Just off to pick up my made to measure knee braces now...

Back
Top Bottom