Buying Help, What to Look For

ExpatinIstanbul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm taking a look at a 650 Dakar, for a mate of mine who's thinking of buying. It's a 2001 model, with approx 8,300 miles on it. Apparently it's had full dealer servicing.

What bits should I be kicking, shaking and prodding, to see if it's a good 'un?

Are there any particular weak spots to look out for?

This one is white, would it be original or has it been resprayed?

Also, I've see a cucumber I'm thinking of buying. It's green, 7", nicely curved and in a well known supermarket. Is it the right one?

Check the fork seals - there should be no oil at all on the chrome stanchions. Leaking oil runs down the front leg then drips onto the brakes and impregnates the brake pads. Don't ask me how I know :eek

Repair may only require new seals, but leaks could also be due to scratched or dinged stanchions which are about £100 each for aftermarket parts + seals + fitting etc etc.

Lovely bike if you get a good one!

check the steering head bearings

they should be ok at such a low mileage, but these bikes do have an appetite for head bearings!

Went to see it yesterday. Very clean looking thing, nothing loose, no clickety click head bearings and no oily fork seals. Rear wheel very slightly out of alignment, but nothing serious.

My friend has bought it, and luckily for me wants me to take it to his place as he's not yet that confident. I live in Istanbul, he lives in Bodrum......650km ride coming up!

Went to see it yesterday. Very clean looking thing, nothing loose, no clickety click head bearings and no oily fork seals. Rear wheel very slightly out of alignment, but nothing serious.

My friend has bought it, and luckily for me wants me to take it to his place as he's not yet that confident. I live in Istanbul, he lives in Bodrum......650km ride coming up!

Enjoy the ride, and for any technical questions then the Chain Gang knows everything - http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/

Cheers for the linky Hustler.

Before the off on Saturday I'd better sort tyre pressures, as I'm lazy and slightly drunk, can anyone tell me what these should be for a 650GS? I think it's on Scorpion dual purp rubber.

Back
Top Bottom