Oi! Sod the 'Big Boys'.....

timmy

Let's keep this 650 thing going:shout

(Purely selfish o' course), but tomorrow i say goodbye to Big Bird and pick up my 04 Dakar. :moped:

Right then, wot's the first thing i wanna add to my new bike?

Oh, BTW: heated grips, no ABS, no hazard warning, "half a proper GS' engine" (yeah right!), keep it simple.

I guess i'll soon find out:cool:

Progressive Fork springs.

Totally transforms the handling, well worth getting.

Very easy to fit, all you need to do is take the full weight of the front, remove the handlebar clamps, undo the top fork clamp, remove top fork nut, remove old spring and drop in the new one. Tighten it all up and then do the other side. Job done.

List of improvements that can be made, in order of preference:
1. A chain oiler Even the cheap, at £16, Loobman I fitted takes a lot of the chore element out of chain maintanance.
2. Centre Stand Cannot understand why BMW has not included one, even as an option, and a paddock stand can be tricky to use on your own.
3. Side stand extender I'll be looking out for an ice hockey puck, as per a recent thread. I have a brick both in the garage and where I park at work just to stop the bike lean over a little less and so relieve a bit of stress on the stand.
4. Bar Riser The extra height on the bars makes a difference on longer runs or when standing on the pegs.
5. Replace the rear chian guard The black plastic version makes the rear end look heavy and an aluminium replacement just makes the bike look better.

2,3 & 5 can all be got from Touratech while a Scottoiler, or Electronic Lubtronic, are the easy answer to regular chain oiling.

Regards
Andy80F

Dakar extras

Had my bike just over a year, and as I do a bit of trail riding Ive added the following:

BM engine bars
Fork gaiters (after market)
Fitted TKC80 tyres
Extended side stand with aluminium spacer
Fitted Touratech "spring return" gear lever
Replaced both front indicators with "bendy stalks" as standard SNAP OFF when you drop the bike!
Replaced chain guard

Regards

Steve G

stand

brassmonkey001 said:
Does anyone else find the Touratech centrestand really difficult to use on their Dakar?

Yes. But after the service it seems to get up easier. Nice guy at SLM must have dropped some grease on there for me, thanks. No actually I suspect that I over tightened the nuts when I fitted it and never bothered to loosen them a little.

timmy said:

At the risk of sounding daft, the first thing you want to add to it is 5000 miles......by then, you'll know what you WANT or NEED to add to it rather than the toys others have....nice toys though they all sound. ;) :D

timmy said:
Let's keep this 650 thing going:shout

(Purely selfish o' course), but tomorrow i say goodbye to Big Bird and pick up my 04 Dakar. :moped:

Oh, BTW: heated grips, no ABS, no hazard warning, "half a proper GS' engine" (yeah right!), keep it simple.

I guess i'll soon find out:cool:

Yep! said goodbye to mine and did the same thing, best thing i did and bought a 650 and a Duke for the same money.
Alot of fun, take the 650 off road and do silly things with the Duke!!
More fun than i ever had with the GS but can't knock it though for touring but OFF-ROAD no way and to be honest i can't understand why they market the Adventure for off-roading its far to heavy?:confused:

The "too heavy for off road" is a difficult question. It's all relative.
The 650 is too heavy really - it's not a proper off road bike - the geometry and weight distribution are all wrong. But it's a dam fine dual purpose.
In the 3 years off 650 ownership I probably only rode on 50 metres of trail that I hadn't on my 100GS. And it's true that my Adv wont be going everywhere my Dakar went, but nearly everywhere!
If I wanted never to have difficulty or challenge off road I'd have bought a trials bike (but then they can't go EVERYWHERE:rolleyes: )

The 1150 is too heavy, but then so is the 650!
:confused:

Agreed, Off-Road the 650 is still heavy but for green laning etc its fine.
Thinking of getting a 250cc off-roader for pure Off-Road but the good lady indoors will have to be persuaded.
Thinking of maybe just keeping the DUKE and trading in the BMW for a suzuki 250 or maybe the DRZ400.
The DUKE is so much fun , so light and you just flick it round corners like a pushbike and it will cruise at 80mph on the motorway.

Back
Top Bottom