I got a G650X Challenge...

WindyChuffer

Reaction score
Yikes....I bought another beemer. After the G450X disaster I thought long and hard about what to get. Decided against bikes with silly service intervals and swore blind to never buy another BMW so settled on a KTM 690 R....until I found out the price...£7K new. F**k me.

So set on a search for used, but found bugger all around.

Now when looking, your mind wonders. I came across a G650X in the BMW network...Jan '09 registered with only 200 (yep two hundred) miles on it. Mint. So I bought it. Had it for 3 weeks and only just used it for the first time yesterday.

V impressed !!! Out with the Surrey TRF on yesterday for its first outing and boy it carries it's weight very well, in fact so well, frankly I'm amazed. Swapped bikes for a while with a fellow rider's 250 two stroke Gas Gas over a tricky section and amazingly, it didn't seem significantly lighter.

I like it so far (and so did the Gas Gas 250 rider)! . The air shock is a bit weird but I guess that's something you get used to. And so far it seems to start no problem too. What a hoot on the road too.

The only thing that worries me is the Touratech wish list; which so far stands at just under a grand. So thats gonna have to be cut one heck of a lot. Guess will stick with TT large bashplate, Acerbis handguards, folding gearlever, smaller front cog and a rear rack for now. Those Pivot Pegz can wait...

Quite fancy a Rekluse clutch for mountain bike style braking capabilities...:augie

Was a bit dissappointed to find that to adjust the gearlever you have to remove the LH footpeg first :blast, plus its two different tools - torx for the lever and allen key for the peg :blast. A bit of a pain as it takes a while to find the optimum position. But if thats all that's wrong with the bike then I can live with it.

:thumb :clap

I did 100 miles on mine today and then I did 60 miles on my 1150Adv this afternoon

Thinking about the XChallenge................I really rate it

One minute I was doing some serious lanes in the Yorkshire, with big rocks and limestone pavement.......................then I was cruising down the road at 80-90mph...........catching up faster road bikes

This bike is one sweet handler on the road and now I've fitted a screen.........it is really useable on the road

The more I ride it the better it is................the 1150 felt like a complete barge, after the XChallenge

Do a search..............you dont need a TT gear lever, get either an F650 one or there is one that is sprung much cheaper.

When we did the Surrey/Hants lanes competition I whacked my gear lever (which was an F650 one) and it bent really badley but was useable so got one recommended on here and it works great.

The only thing you really need from TT is the side stand protector.

I came across a G650X in the BMW network...Jan '09 registered with only 200 (yep two hundred) miles on it. Mint.....

WindyC, I've done similar.
A BMW dealer had a XC chopped in against a 450X, this 650 has 102 miles :eek on it, so I was lucky enough to be offered the machine...... so it should be home here within the week's end......
I will be interested in similar mods you have mentioned, ie, gearlever, bashplate and the sidestand device.
I have rode a few of these bikes before and they have a smooth power delivery and are very tractable in the slippy stuff. The only thing I did not like/enjoy was the airshock. It gave a very strange feedback when the bike lifted off from the trails. I didn't ride the bikes far enough to 'get used to it' either so once I've rode it for a while I may change my thoughts. I will be pricing up a coil shock though......;)

Best of luck with your new steed...

Timpo.

Congrats on the bike - one of the most unsung heros of the BMW line up :)

One of the mods they do at the BMW school to the 650X is to replace the gear lever with one from the old F650GS - turns out the XChallenge one is too strong and breaks the shaft in to the gearbox :( The lever off the F650GS is way softer - they bend easy which can be annoying (after dropping it, you can find that you can't get in to second! DAMHIK) but they can be bent back and, more importantly, won't break the shaft!

Am starting to get used to the air shock. On the trail its fine. Its weird traits are only really apparent when braking. Slam on the front and the air shock makes it feel like you are being ejected. But if you use the rear brake as well it really does tempers the ejection seat !

Looks like XC are back in good job I did not sell mine...

I'm told the chain guide is a good option, mine came with one fitted.

I've just sourced a TT tank for mine from TBM £250 unused and boxed.

On Sunday I rode down to the Plain and the 83 road miles down took 70 mins

Congrats for seeing the light :D

+1 for the gear lever that Dwaine recommends in his thread. I'd also fork out for the TT bashplate if I were you as I reckon it defo pays for itself on the rocky stuff :thumb

A BMW dealer had a XC chopped in against a 450X, this 650 has 102 miles :eek on it, so I was lucky enough to be offered the machine...... so it should be home here within the week's end......
I will be interested in similar mods you have mentioned, ie, gearlever, bashplate and the sidestand device.
I have rode a few of these bikes before and they have a smooth power delivery and are very tractable in the slippy stuff. The only thing I did not like/enjoy was the airshock. It gave a very strange feedback when the bike lifted off from the trails. I didn't ride the bikes far enough to 'get used to it' either so once I've rode it for a while I may change my thoughts. I will be pricing up a coil shock though......;)

Timpo.

You've seen mine:D

Essentials are
F650 Funduro or GS gear lever (Funduro is better as it has a bendy tip:augie)
PivotPegz
TT Bashplate (Big)
TT Chainguide and rear disc guard
BMW (made by TT) frameguard/rear master cyclinder guard and headlight guard
TT small rear rack
TT Sidestand guard
13 or 14t front sprocket
Barkbusters or similar
MT21's:augie
R&G Tailtidy - it really is the best option
Dakar style screen from the Jester of Cornwall for £13 (seek him out on AdvRider - he don't come here)
Leo Vince Can - sweet:thumb

They are gonna be sought after, now people are taking them seriously:blast

Timpo.

I remember you once saying about mine "thats the tallest bike I never want to ride again!":D

Must get mine over to Wales again soon.

Paul

Am starting to get used to the air shock. On the trail its fine. Its weird traits are only really apparent when braking. Slam on the front and the air shock makes it feel like you are being ejected. But if you use the rear brake as well it really does tempers the ejection seat !

Just watch out when you go charging into a series of "Whoops", and realise you've gone in to quick..

It's not so much a case of "Whoops", more like "Oh F***". The air shock turns into a space hopper and tries to chuck you over the bars- a bit like a bucking bronco..

taming the shock-the back brake may work, but giving it gas certainly tames this- which is not ideal when your trying to scrub off speed....

Wilbers or hyper-pro sounds like the way forward, but sounds like £700 if you want a good one.

Nathan

No doubt about it ... real men ride X-Challenges. :guitarist

Heres a couple from today in Mongolia:
3970878819_f10c26a7ac.jpg

3970873289_e7ddf23f08.jpg

Yep, inclined to agree.

Been following your trip Cole since you left the TT event in March and had a good root around your web site + the bike prep pages. V nice !

Am v interested to hear more about the A6 bi-xenon projector headlights you fitted; I mean, if I wanted a pair, what would I ask for if I were to call up an Audi dealer??? (plus of course the les wassell hid50 kit x 2)

I remember you once saying about mine "thats the tallest bike I never want to ride again!":D

Paul

Is it as tall as a Tenere ??? :D

Mind you I don't think T..has jumped on a 300 smoker yet :cool: and then he will be straight up to the nearest ORANGE dealer for a deal,, realising what he has missed :augie

:thumb2

Yep, inclined to agree.

Been following your trip Cole since you left the TT event in March and had a good root around your web site + the bike prep pages. V nice !

Am v interested to hear more about the A6 bi-xenon projector headlights you fitted; I mean, if I wanted a pair, what would I ask for if I were to call up an Audi dealer??? (plus of course the les wassell hid50 kit x 2)

Cheers mate ... I got them off ebay. There is a guy in the states who sells them ... make sure you specify you want the LHT (left hand traffic) cutoff screens. The trick is trying to make them dustproof. They are open at the bottom end where the solenoid controls the movement of the cutoff screen for low and high beam. I didnt have time too master that before I left and will have to some fine tuning when I return

Back
Top Bottom