anyone familiar with israel??

robeekay67

right.

am off to israel early next month to visit the grave of my uncle kia'd in an ambush in 1946. the CWGC cemetary is in the south west , infact south west of jaffa.

bbc web site throws up some pointers but anyone familiar with that area id appreciate any guidelines.

am curious to know if it is a quiet zone or whether i should bump up the insurance for those unforeseen 'moments'..any help gratefully received.

sincerest thanks.

Yewhoo- Yosi - where are you???

(He's your man - know's the place backwards!)

I wouldnt go calling yourself Robeekay....... sounds kinda strange and these ignorant israeli politicians might blow you up.
Me and mrs den have boycotted everything from that country since that arsehole sharon started his reign of terror.
I fully realise the problems they have to deal with , but in my opinion he is trying to start ww3.
I wouldnt go there for ANY reason.
Sorry if I have offended any Sane Israelies.

den

point taken and understood. but, its taken me a very long time to locate where my uncle is buried and considering he died having survived d-day, arnhem and the rhine the very least i can do is go and see him. he is a long way from home and sure as hell hes not had a visitor so far!

i too viciously hate what is going on out there but i must remember to keep my fat mouth shut when im there......

Israel is a great place...

I lived for a year in Israel when I was 23 and loved it. The public transport system is great. The Bus company "Egged" if I remember correctly was very cheap and they ran all the time.
There is a rail track from Nahariyya in the North to Tel-Aviv. I stayed on a Kibbutz 2 Km from the Lebanese border on the coast and it was fantastic. I travelled all over and found the people very warm (both the Jewish and the Arab people). I was informed to be careful when going to Jericho but actually had a great time and found the locals very friendly towards us,

Unfortunately I think that the political climate has changed for the worse since I was there (1983) and there is a lot more tension in the air due to American origin settlers. There are obviously 2 sides to every story and I am not knowledged enough to give a true picture but all I can say is its such a shame that what is going on is actually going on and it seems so one sided.

If you keep your wits about you I'm sure you will have a good trip. You must spend some time in Tel-Aviv just to sit and watch the girls go by on Allenby with a bottle of Macabee in hand.

Have fun
AndyT:cool:

Nothing to worry about

robeekay67,
I understand that far away perspective changes the way things look but there's absolutly nothing to worry about. In the occupied teritories there's live conflict, but in Israel things are as safe as anywhere else, including New York, Madrid Tokio etc.
On the contrary, We put much more effort in preventing terrorist's activity from happening than any other country in the world.
I understand that your uncle fought here in the independence war - we owe him and you as his family a lot - I hope that your stay in Israel will be most enjoyable, and there's no reason for it not to be.

Dear Den,
What exactly is Blair looking for in Iraq? (look oil and world wars in the lexicon).
Are you boycoting him as well? What did you think when not long ago bombs were exploding all over in England and the British army were shooting into citizens in Northern Ireland?
Boycotted Britain I'm sure.

Miky

(I'm not too fond of Sharon's policy either, but also Bush and Blair are out of line IMHO)

Andy T

was you one of them Kibbutz people traveling over from cyprus to Israel on the overnight Ferry who got mixed up with a load of drunked squaddies and ended up playing in a make shift band (when the ferry band had finished their stint) and drinking all night

If I remember right the only whole song sung and played was smoke on the water

:D

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I never have a problem going there - have a wonderful time. If you fly BA you won't have the El Al security screen - but if you do go with the flow and enjoy the experience of being interrogated!

When you return from Ben Gurion you will need your passport to enter the terminal.

Always expect your bag to be searched if going into the Dizengoff centre etc. It's normal - get used to it.

If you can't find the loos look for "OO" !!

I never take extra insurance - it's as safe there as anywhere else - Oh and crime against the person is virtually non-existent.

Be careful swimming off the beach at Tel Aviv - rip currents - and the warnings from the lifeguards are in Hebrew.

Could go on - but enough - just enjoy the experience.

And Josi if you're listening - I still want to go down the old road from Jerusalem to Eilat (Snake Routs?) - bits still exist alongside the new one (not so new really)

Mark Dilloway said:
[
And Josi if you're listening - I still want to go down the old road from Jerusalem to Eilat (Snake Routs?) - bits still exist alongside the new one (not so new really) [/B]

Actually called scorpion's uphill, still exists, still beutifull and in the middle of nowhere.
I'll even gladly take any of you lot there if you come here.
There's nothing like the desert.

Miky

TERRY RYAN said:
Andy T

was you one of them Kibbutz people traveling over from cyprus to Israel on the overnight Ferry who got mixed up with a load of drunked squaddies and ended up playing in a make shift band (when the ferry band had finished their stint) and drinking all night

If I remember right the only whole song sung and played was smoke on the water

:D

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Unfortunately that was not I. I flew into Ben Gurion and travelled around the whole country. I stayed for about 6 weeks near Nazereth, went to Egypt for 2 weeks and went back to Tel-aviv which was like a sanctuary with toilets that actually worked. I got so ill in Egypt (another great place).
I then went up to Nahariyya where I spent about 7 months whilst travelling all around. We had local Israeli guides who took us up for a 3 day hike in the Golan hieghts and the sea of galalee which was fantastic. I remember we modified a "Do not drop litter" sigh to read "Do not walk on the water" which went down like a lead baloon. I also went down to the Negev and had a few weeks in Eilat and the Sinai desert just sleeping on the beach (see my beach hut below).
Jerusalem was just superb in the old city in the Arab cafes taking Arabic Tea and coffee. What a great atmosphere with endless history and tales. I never took the ferry to Cyprus but instead a flight home for more cash and on to Norway to meet someone I met over there but thats another story.

Great memories indeed but as mentioned before there was not quite the tension that there appears to be today. The whole thing is just so sad.

Have Fun

AndyT :cool:

Attachments

• sinai 2.jpg
    sinai 2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 102
Mikyh - I feel so stupid - Yes of course it is the Scorpion Trail. I just couldn't remember. I have a very good friend - a judge in Tel Aviv, who can remember this road - I think really from Belsheva down to Eilat - she remembers travelling this route with her father years ago - 10 maybe 20 years ago. I travelled on this route having visited Mitzpeh Ramon (sorry about the spelling but it is from memory) and then going on down to Eilat through the desert. The most beautiful place one could go. We had stopped at Mitzpeh Ramon and it had rained overnight and we had set off early - the desert was full of flowers at 0600h - There were all these cars as people had travelled out into the desert to see this relatively unusual event. My friend had also heard of it but never seen it.

And as we travelled south with the beautiful pink mountains of Jordan on our left I saw this old road on the right of our route - it was the Scorpion Trail - this narrow one carriage road that was at one time the main road to the port of Eilat. Now of course there is a military base near Eilat and the road has long been upgraded but it still brings back many pleasant memories.

I shall be returning again this year and once again I shall go out into the desert.

Shalom

you'll be most welcome, Mark.

You will find more modern roads, much more traffic, Eilat became a giant hliday resort, better restaurants and even Irish style pubs if you're fond of strong liquids.
but the desert is still there, empty and beutiful.

Miky

Back
Top Bottom