Advice re brake fluidchange on 1150gs

Mike Whitworth

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am about to do a full service on my 2002 1150gs complete with ABS and servo's . I am quite happy about doing this service except for changing the Brake fluid . I seem to remember hearing that it is a pig of a job and best mleft for the dealer. having phoned a dealer hetells me it is a two hour job and will cost about £130 this seems a rediculus price for a brake fluid change. Is it really that difficult a job for a DIY ??????
regards
Mike

. Is it really that difficult a job for a DIY ??????
regards
Mike

NO.

The actual process of bleeding/changing the fluid is easier due to the servo.
Switch the ignition on and use the servo to pump the fluid. The procedure is different compared to "normal" brakes so read up before dumping all the fluid.
It's the tank removal and having the different circuits to bleed that takes a "LITTLE" longer than normal, but not two hours :rolleyes:

Steptoe,

How do you add the fluid?
Is it necessary to have the funnel adaptor as stated elsewhere on the site?
Will the pump suck air in if I don't use a funnel?

I just did my servo brakes a few weeks ago and after a wee bit of treptidation found the whole process surprisingly easy read the hall of wisdom stuff get it right in your head and away you go, all I would say is if it's the first time you've done anything like this them give yourself plenty of time to do it, just so your not under any pressure

you don't need the funnel thing as described in the advrider hall of wisdom guide, but it probably does make things easier if you don't do this sort of thing on a daily basis, so not used to working with bottles of fluid.

I use a large syringe instead of the funnel and just keep filling up the syringe and slowly 'injecting' it into the fluid port on the servo, it's slow but works for me,
I intend at some point to make a funnel of sorts just for convience as I can be a bit kack handed at times and don't want to send brake fluid all over the bike and garage floor :augie

I intend at some point to make a funnel of sorts just for convience as I can be a bit kack handed at times and don't want to send brake fluid all over the bike and garage floor :augie

Me too, it makes the process sound a lot easier.
I approached Pidcocks for the plastic cap on the ABS pump which I was going to drill and bond the funnel to but they're £26.90 + VAT for the pair and they come with a breather hose. A little pricey really but I can't find anything else with a screw thread the same. I thought a plastic bottle with the same thread and a rubber o-ring around the neck would work a treat but cannot find anything.
If anyone does find a bottle that fits please let me know.

Rubber tube from new fluid bottle going into the fluid reservour. It sucks the fluid. :D

Thanks Steptoe, I'll give it a whirl.

Anyone found 'something' that'll screw into the ABS pump?
Soap or shampoo bottle, opil or any garage containers???
If I could find the right thread I could make the rest.

Thanks Steptoe, I'll give it a whirl.

Anyone found 'something' that'll screw into the ABS pump?
Soap or shampoo bottle, opil or any garage containers???
If I could find the right thread I could make the rest.

i also use a small funnel, just dropped into the servo filler. Pour in with one hand as you operate the brake lever/pedal with the other with the ignition switched on.

How difficult do you want to make it :nenau

Back
Top Bottom