Trip to Aushwitz Poland

wickerman1536

Having been on several battle field tours around Europe with friends in groups using tents and ration packs for confort, I now want to plan something more civilised as my dearly beloved has re-discovered how much fun motorcycling is and wants to go to Poland Aug 2010. this means I have to find B&B across Belguim (Bastogne), Germany (Eagles nest), Poland (Aushwitz), Austria, Switzerland, France, 7 -10 days. Just spent too much fruitless time on Google trying to work it out, and can't see the wood for the tree's.
Any thoughts would be much appreiciated:ronno

Hotel Galicija
Dabrowskiego 119, Oswiecim 32-600, Poland

that is THE HOTEL near Auchwitz approx 5km away at most and secure parking.

Be aware that it is actually the Eagles Nests -i.e. it is a group of castles not just one. If you want the list I am sure i can dig it out.

Went to Auswich a few years ago, there is actually a catholic mission type place that does camping and rooms at really reasonable rates wich is within 5 minutes walk of Auswich and about 20 minutes from Birkenhau. Ime not at all religous and they were most welcoming.
Ill have a look through all my maps and try and find contact details if your interested,

ferret

karlp: I think the Eagle's Nest wickerman refers to is Hitler's Bavarian retreat, not the series of Polish castles near Krakow.

We stopped overnight in the Youth Hostel that has been opened in the German guard's section of Colditz Castle and in the morning did an extensive tour of the POW section.

Went to Auswich a few years ago, there is actually a catholic mission type place that does camping and rooms at really reasonable rates wich is within 5 minutes walk of Auswich and about 20 minutes from Birkenhau. Ime not at all religous and they were most welcoming.
Ill have a look through all my maps and try and find contact details if your interested,

ferret

Its the Centre for Prayer and Dialogue in Osweicim - we were there earlier in the year (April) - As Ferret says they are very very welcoming - I would recommend them to anyone visiting Auschwitz.

Adrian

Yes please to all of above, Hitlers Eagles nest is what we are after, and Colditz is a good idea too. Thats all a great help.
my email wingcommandersmith@yahoo.co.uk:bounce1

Not sure if you were asking for these but this is the list of castles that makes up the Eagles Nests

Ojcow Castle
Pieskowa Skala Castle,
Rabsztyn Castle,
Smolen Castle
Pilica Castle
Ogrodzieniec Castle,
Mirow and Bobolice Castles,
Olsztyn Castle

My mates Girlfriend lives in Krakow and works in Tourism. If you need any help planning/questions then feel free to ask and I'll put you in touch.

Krakow is well worth a visit. So much there (Schlinder factory, salt mines, central square, roosters :clap etc)

Will be a great holiday BUT..

Make very sure you are ready for it, i have seen grown men crying
after a tour around those places..and not all were in the over 50's
age group....

Places to stay

Hi Mate,

There is loads of good places if you go through the Hartz mountains and the road is great. Or if your go through Cottbus Camp Spree is a nice campsite with a great lake and a great view especially at sundown. Colditz Castle is a great hostel and the old hospital has I think 100 rooms they were still finishing it last year, just dont get there on a Wed as the town is closed lol. And the prayer centre is a good place to stay at Oswiecm but can get busy with school kids,police and Israel Army visitors. If you want to stay very cheap the hotel Babice is extremely basic and an eye opener lol you cant miss it as you leave Oswiecm heading to Babice its on the left as you come into the town centre, reminds me of the hostel films lol.

Whatever way you go mate have a great time. :ronno

Battle tour

Thanks for all the advice, some great ideas and good info. I am a bit worried about the effect visiting Aushwitz will have but its just one of those things I have been saying for too long I will do. Not done too much in Germany only Remagen on the way to the battle fields in Holland. It's deffinately going to be B&B this time though......
looking forward to it!:beer:

The Eagles Nest is in Bertchesgarten, Salzbergstrasse, Germany. It's about 25/30 miles south of Saltzaberg. This is Hitlers "Eagles Nest",and was a retreat he used. Lots of history, great location, and close to the Gloschlokner Pass.
Well worth a visit.

Will be a great holiday BUT..

Make very sure you are ready for it, i have seen grown men crying
after a tour around those places..and not all were in the over 50's
age group....

I agree 100% with the above, I went with a group of 10 guys ranging from mid twenties to early 60's, we hired a guide and everyone at some point had a tear in their eye, very moving and an absoloute must on the list of places to visit.

I stayed in Brno CZ and had an awesome ride there and back in a day.

I think we have decided to go for ten days and now that we are starting to plan it all seems to be shaping up, really can't wait.:pullface

Well worth going via Zagan in Poland and visiting Stalag III (Great Escape camp). If you want the museum it's shut on Mondays.

If you go to Zagan, let us know what you think of the place. I'm saying nothing.

I would suggest that you read up on Auschwitz before going there - trust me there's too much to take in otherwise. :( I'm sure the BBC had a book as part of their Auschwitz documentary.

Ok here is the first rough workings which we can modify to take in scenic areas etc.
1.Euro tunnel to Calaise then Dortmund first stop and Mohne Dam 417 miles.
2. Dortmund to Colditz 283 miles.
3. Colditz to Krakow stay two nights 368 miles.
4.Krakow to Berchtesgarden -483 miles Hitlers Eagles nest.
5.Berchteesgarden to Landeck Austria 170 miles.
6.Landeck to Freiberg 230 miles.
7.Freiberg to Baden Baden 70 miles then on to Luxembourg 211miles
8. Luxembourg to Ieper 215 miles. Last post.
9.Iper to Euro tunnel then Great Yeldham - bugger its all over 202 miles

10 days...:ronno

When in Krakow we had an apartment from orient express,

http://www.cracow-life.com/sleep/hotels_details/730-Orient_Ekspres_Rooms

We were not on bikes but the place had a large courtyard and gated access that would be ideal for secure parking, worth an ask.
My main memory of the place is they held some sort of modelling class/audition in the court yard. Lots of drop dead stunning Polish girls parading round in circles, I just sat on the window sill of my first floor room and took in the scenery. :cool:

If you are visiting the camps, use all your senses. The birds DO sing and the flowers DO grow, no matter what people may tell you......... But it's still a deeply moving experience.

Back
Top Bottom