BMW Nav IV and Autocom

Murphspeed

Reaction score
Am dropping the GSA to dealer next week to get SatNav fitted, and for them to fit the Autocom from my old bike (it's been sitting on their shelf for a while). For ease (and my laziness) I'm going with the Nav IV they supply which seems to be a decent kit from all reviews. Anyone had one linked to Autocom, and if so any comments on sound quality etc ?

Thanks

Do you have a Bluetooth Adaptor for your Autocom? If not, you're going to need one. The only audio output from the Nav IV when it's mounted in the cradle, is via Bluetooth .

Thanks - I'll check; that's a worry if there's no wired link, unless the Bluetooth works surprisingly well.

If you check the Autocom forum you will be informed that they have not yet managed to connect the Nav IV via bluetooth.

but they are working on it.

Thanks - I'll check; that's a worry if there's no wired link, unless the Bluetooth works surprisingly well.

{Edit} Sorry, what I said wasn't quite correct. There is a wired sound output in parallel with the power cable. However, this only outputs navigation voice prompts. If you want to listen to your phone via the Nav IV or play mp3 files on it, you have to have a Bluetooth system. {/Edit}

{Edit} Sorry, what I said wasn't quite correct. There is a wired sound output in parallel with the power cable. However, this only outputs navigation voice prompts. If you want to listen to your phone via the Nav IV or play mp3 files on it, you have to have a Bluetooth system. {/Edit}

Another example of BM "improving" on the stock Garmins functions? :rolleyes:

Just as an update the NAV4 does not like talking to our new BT modules and dongles whether they are old or new parts as in the Logics with their own BT modules or our older Super Pro AVi's running via their external dongles.

So it seems like BMW/Garmin have changed the software on the NAV4's as in its different to the 660's as we know the 660's can be connected to our Super Pro AVi with no problems.

Due to how the BMW cradle is designed it covers up the two jack plug sockets for the mic and speaker connections and the power lead is different to the 660 units where there are no mic connections allowed. The audio lead side runs two wires to carry mono sound to a BMW plug which we guess would plug into the BMW loom somewhere on an RT or LT, no where on a GS or other models with no on board radios etc.

So its not looking good and we are recommending our customers to run either the 660's or older 550's.

Rich :beerjug:

Richard,

I am assuming that the NAV 4 will pair to the optional Bluetooth intercom on the BMW System 6 helmets - could be the reason why the Bluetooth protocol has been changed.
Another reason why I shall stick to Autocom-only systems for the long term.

John, lets hope so or there will be a lot unhappy people out there. One other thing BMW need to think about is how they are going to get any audio from the RT's and LT's fitted with on board radios to the BT headsets??

Rich :beerjug:

Rich, please confirm my 2 year old Autocom Super Pro Duo 300 kit will connect without any problems to a Garmin 660? I am so pleased I came accross this thread as I was going to buy a new BMW Nav 4 kit later this week. I had been pondering over which to buy (660 or BMW Nav4) but I did like the idea of the BM mount.
Please can you also confirm either way if I can use the mp3 function of the 660 and Nav4 via autocom?
Cheers Rich,

Chris.

Slightly off topic but I had a Zumo 550 with an Aotocom Logic which worked perfectly. Then I fitted a 660 and could no longer talk to people on the phone - although I could hear them.

After a lot of fiddling about I narrowed the problem dowen to either the Autocom or the Autocom phone interface, part 2190.

Phoned Autcom who told me it was the 2190. It seems the 660 is different to the 550. Autocom were very helpful and suggested that I send them my 2190 V2 and they supply a 2190 V3 which works with the 660. They have and it does.

Looked at the spec of the BMW version of the 660 and from what I could see I would be paying more for a seriously compromised 660 with a couple of extra buttons I didn't need.

Due to how the BMW cradle is designed it covers up the two jack plug sockets for the mic and speaker connections

In the interests of accuracy - note that there is no mic socket on the Nav IV. The two sockets which are covered when the unit is mounted in the cradle are the 3.5mm jack socket for audio out and the MCX connector for an external GPS antenna.

I too am pleased that I came across this thread. Been pondering shelling out around £690 for the Navigator IV versus buying a Zumo 660. On the basis of this thread it seems the Zumo 660 is the better option and significantly cheaper. The Nav IV also requires a separate cradle if you want to use it in a car. Question is though; how do you connect it to the GS battery? From what I have read its a rather fiddly affair with wire soldering needed etc. And how good is the bike cradle that comes with the 660?

Question is though; how do you connect it to the GS battery? From what I have read its a rather fiddly affair with wire soldering needed etc. And how good is the bike cradle that comes with the 660?

1. A new 660 Zumo, straight out of the box, comes with a pre-made lead, so that you can connect it straight to the battery. Easy.

That means though that the lead and the cradle are permanently live. Take a little bit of care when running the lead to make sure it cannot flex or get cut or you run the risk of a short. A short should blow the lead's fuse, which is just annoying.

If you leave the GPS device in it's cradle and it's permanently live, you will eventually flatten the battery. That is also annoying.

2. Running to the dedicated spur behind the headstock / oil cooler is not difficult. BuMW will probably sell a pre-made lead, they used to for the earlier versions. Ask at your dealer's. If not make one, it's not too difficult.

Navigator IV + Autocom "wireless"

[original post: 28.11.2009]

Hi,

Here's my twopence worth: after buying a 2006 GSA last August, I wanted to improve the quality of the ride for my beloved, who had never been on a bike as a pillion before, as we were planning a long trip accross the Channel.

First, I spent more than £500.00 on a brand new BMW Navigator IV and fittings: awesome piece of equipment, brilliant picture and reception quality, very easy to use even in storm conditions (we were 3 litres away from having to push it -MY fault- while in the middle of nowhere in France... just press the "Closest Petrol Station" button and you're there!

Happy so far.

Then, I spent £460 for an "Autocom Logic Independence Wireless".

And another £2 for "Open Face Conversion Kit".

And another £80 for a "Plug-In Bluetooth Module".
And another £25 for an "Extension Lead".

Because if your unit is behind your back to "talk" to your pillion... it can't "talk" to your satnav via bluetooth. So there's a big thick cable with a small box at the end that goes around you from the unit all the way to somewhere near the satnav...

How is it WIRELESS then???!!!

And if you plan on riding for more than 5 hours during a single day... bring spare batteries!

Very practical having to change batteries when the weather is atrocious, you're on a motorway, it's night time, raining so much that visibility is approximately 50 yards, all traffic is doing 30mph, gusts of wind +50mph and your pillion is VERY frightened ... and you suddenly loose radio contact, and can't stop in a hurry to replace batteries on both units!

Thank you Autocom, I suppose after spending all that money for a product that works-ish I can now spend the same amount on batteries!!!

Or maybe spend another £XXX amount on a "Bike Power Kit"... but then again, what's the point in calling it WIRELESS kit if you have to add cables to get a decent result???????

And one last thing: everytime I plug-in my helmet to the Autocom unit, I never know if the music player on the Nav' IV will play!
As a matter of fact on a 7 day trip riding everyday for many hours, we had music only on a couple of occasions. God knows why. Most of the time the Nav' IV doesn't "recognise" the bluetooth in order to play music... but recognises it to give audio directions and "ding-ding" for speed-traps! Weird!!!

For sure if the sound goes for one "part" or "programme" of the Nav' IV, ALL sounds should go through!!!

I forgot to mention that I spent another £30 on a Micro SD memory card for the satnav (not included).

Oh, and another thing, I've had the Autocom kit less than a couple of month and... the main "plug" on the unit side snapped clean off, just hanging by the internal cables... Hang on, I haven't even abused the damn thing, so why have plugs and cables the size of forearms if they don't even last a few month???

Well, apologies if I sound bitter, some will say that if I spend so much on a GSA I shouldn't complain, some others will say that I should have known better and researched products more in-depth.

But that's not the point: I'm not happy with a VERY expensive piece of equipment described as "The Ultimate Expandable Audio/Communication System". And now it's all out of the box and used, there's no-way they'll exchange it.

So I guess I can dump everything into a bin and buy my other half a flip-up helmet... and a new MP3!

Hope this helps.

Wire it into the back of your aux power socket.
That way, when you turn the ignition off the Zumo warns you and asks if you want to keep the unit on, otherwise it turns itself off.

And relax... :comfort

Sounds like you didn't get the right system for long days in the saddle. Both bit's are fine in isolation, but have issues working together. :blast

I was torn between the convenience of wireless and the convenience of bike powered and in the end i plumped for wired as i can't be arsed to charge/change batteries for long rides away.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. :beerjug:

[original post: 28.11.2009]

Hi,

Here's my twopence worth: after buying a 2006 GSA last August, I wanted to improve the quality of the ride for my beloved, who had never been on a bike as a pillion before, as we were planning a long trip accross the Channel.

First, I spent more than £500.00 on a brand new BMW Navigator IV and fittings: awesome piece of equipment, brilliant picture and reception quality, very easy to use even in storm conditions (we were 3 litres away from having to push it -MY fault- while in the middle of nowhere in France... just press the "Closest Petrol Station" button and you're there!

Happy so far.

Then, I spent £460 for an "Autocom Logic Independence Wireless".

And another £2 for "Open Face Conversion Kit".

And another £80 for a "Plug-In Bluetooth Module".
And another £25 for an "Extension Lead".

Because if your unit is behind your back to "talk" to your pillion... it can't "talk" to your satnav via bluetooth. So there's a big thick cable with a small box at the end that goes around you from the unit all the way to somewhere near the satnav...

How is it WIRELESS then???!!!

And if you plan on riding for more than 5 hours during a single day... bring spare batteries!

Very practical having to change batteries when the weather is atrocious, you're on a motorway, it's night time, raining so much that visibility is approximately 50 yards, all traffic is doing 30mph, gusts of wind +50mph and your pillion is VERY frightened ... and you suddenly loose radio contact, and can't stop in a hurry to replace batteries on both units!

Thank you Autocom, I suppose after spending all that money for a product that works-ish I can now spend the same amount on batteries!!!

Or maybe spend another £XXX amount on a "Bike Power Kit"... but then again, what's the point in calling it WIRELESS kit if you have to add cables to get a decent result???????

And one last thing: everytime I plug-in my helmet to the Autocom unit, I never know if the music player on the Nav' IV will play!
As a matter of fact on a 7 day trip riding everyday for many hours, we had music only on a couple of occasions. God knows why. Most of the time the Nav' IV doesn't "recognise" the bluetooth in order to play music... but recognises it to give audio directions and "ding-ding" for speed-traps! Weird!!!

For sure if the sound goes for one "part" or "programme" of the Nav' IV, ALL sounds should go through!!!

I forgot to mention that I spent another £30 on a Micro SD memory card for the satnav (not included).

Oh, and another thing, I've had the Autocom kit less than a couple of month and... the main "plug" on the unit side snapped clean off, just hanging by the internal cables... Hang on, I haven't even abused the damn thing, so why have plugs and cables the size of forearms if they don't even last a few month???

Well, apologies if I sound bitter, some will say that if I spend so much on a GSA I shouldn't complain, some others will say that I should have known better and researched products more in-depth.

But that's not the point: I'm not happy with a VERY expensive piece of equipment described as "The Ultimate Expandable Audio/Communication System". And now it's all out of the box and used, there's no-way they'll exchange it.

So I guess I can dump everything into a bin and buy my other half a flip-up helmet... and a new MP3!

Hope this helps.

According to my dealer the NAV 1V will work with ysytem 6 helmet and bluetooth and two System 6 helmets can talk to each other.

The only downside is that the passenger helmet will not hear the music etc from the satnav.

Other downside is the cost of two bluetooth modules for the helmets. The helmets have at least 6-8 hrs battery life before they need recharging

I've just bought the Navigator IV with a System 6 helmet and the Bluetooth kit. The downside is that with fitting the whole lot cost over £1200. However, the installation looks perfect on the bike, is easily readable without looking down and only just covers a tiny bit of the rev counter.

It all works, nav prompts to helmet are pretty clear and the phone is crystal.

Phone and helmet are paired to the satnav and once set up it just works.

Haven't tried the music yet.

They told me the System 6 helmet would be quieter than my old Schuberth, this isn't true. However the helmet is lighter and visibility and ventilation are much better.

Back
Top Bottom