UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wanted to go there this summer to see some friends, two options:

- dover-calais and a couple of days to get there or
- bilbao by ferry

Checked prices for the 2nd options: at least 400 quid :confused:

Anyone did the same???
Any suggestions?

Did this 2 years ago. Ferry Plymouth to Santander. Down through the Picos then headed south west literally, my old streetpilot really only pointed us in the right direction also gps mapping for Portugal was very poor probably still is. Headed for Braganca for the first night bit of a long ride but easily doable and fantastic roads and scenery. Left Braganca and headed south to Castello Branco again a fairly long ride but easy riding. These roads were made for a GS. From Castello Branco rode to Evora where we had our only pre booked hotel all the rest were on the fly. Superb riding on the fly and take whatever comes brilliant the only way to tour.

portugal

Did 2 weeks in Portugal last summer via the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry. Paid around £330. The advertised P&O rates were much higher but did a lot of haggling and got discount for early booking.
It is worth the money - the "Pride of Bilbao" is a cruise ship with all the facilities and good food etc.
Two of us did a 2K trip around the Picos and down to Porto/Lisbon, across to Madrid and then north to Salamanca and back to Bilbao. Stunning roads, very little traffic, 106 degrees temperature at mid-day (mad dogs and Englishmen!) out on the Plains of Spain. We didn,t book anything - just packed the camping gear and then started looking for camping sites late afternoon en-route. Most of them had a pool/restaurante etc and very friendly.
Do it!

Paul R.
:)

I will, you bet!!!!
Like the idea of going without planning anything, it did work in eastern europe...Don't fancy spending £330 on the cross though, I may add a couple of days and ride down from France...

Here is where we are off to in late september early october. Nothing booked except the ferry and every part of the trip flexible.
Me, me bruv and Terry Ryan. 3k miles sheer bliss plus a long weekend in Benidorm for some beer.

Attachments

• spain004.jpg
    spain004.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 156
carbold said:
Wanted to go there this summer to see some friends, two options:

- dover-calais and a couple of days to get there or
- bilbao by ferry

Checked prices for the 2nd options: at least 400 quid :confused:

Anyone did the same???
Any suggestions?
I have my tickets for Portsmouth to Bilbao with a double cabin and return from Cherbourg to Portsmouth £187 think they stuck me some sort of Bike mag offer to get that price.

Back
Top Bottom