Big Breakfasts, Dirt Tracks & the City of Rocks

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2nd May

I feel completely refreshed after a couple of days ‘off’ at Jackson Hole. I load the bike and set of into the crisp, clear morning at 0900. I ride down and join Highway 89, which runs south west towards Idaho. The road runs to the east of the Snake River…

3900481-L.jpg

After about 45 minutes, I pull in to the Red Baron Café in Alpine and have a huge breakfast (large Sunday breakfasts are something of an American institution – who am I to fly in the face of tradition? :D).

3900484-L.jpg

The café is named after two Red Barons – von Richtofen, the WWI ace, and Ed Browning, who owns the café and also sponsored a racing P51 Mustang, called the Red Baron.
It crashed during an air race in 1979, so Ed decided to carry on with an F104 Starfighter instead :eek: - that was also destroyed – so I guess he makes breakfast now…:p

On the subject of Sunday breakfasts, I noticed that the young couple in the booth opposite were drinking Budweiser with theirs…

I carry on and, just after entering Idaho, find more evidence of the continuing drought in the area…

3900804-L.jpg

…the brown coloured ground in the middle distance is grassland – on my map, it should be a lake over 2 miles wide at this point.

It’s Sunday, so I see plenty of other bikes…

3900807-L.jpg

…on what is obviously a favourite local biking road…

3900487-L.jpg

Unexpectedly, my route takes me up a gravel road...

3900432-L.jpg

…which 28 miles later, brings me out to a spectacular view.

A couple of miles further on, I see a rash of chrome on the left side of the road – it’s a bunch of Harleys…

3900439-L.jpg

…they’re just taking a breather, collecting all their numbers together after coming through the canyon I’m heading for. They’re good folks and we have a banter session and, after the obligatory photo and my handing out some business cards, I get moving again.

3900806-L.jpg

It’s now getting quite warm, with very little breeze – even the tumbleweed can’t seem to muster much energy…

3900442-L.jpg

I’m soon back on the dirt roads. It’s becoming quite pleasant and I’m managing to ride at 40-50mph without developing too much of a sweat :p.
Following Betty’s directions, I turn down what Mapsource describes as an ‘Unmade Road’. Soon, it looks like this…

3900480-L.jpg

…plus, as the more eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted, it doesn’t follow the path it’s meant to. After a mile or so, I decide to press virtually cross-country, to join the ‘main road’ (a gravel track :p). After negotiating a barbed wire fence (with a primitive gate – anyone who has done a Falklands tour would recognise it) – I’m back on the gravel track and heading towards City of Rocks…

3900463-L.jpg

…a spectacular collection of huge rocks, the area was named by early settlers. The view from the top is breathtaking…

3900471-L.jpg

…as usual, pictures cannot do it justice…

3900465-L.jpg

…time to move on – I set course for Twin Falls…

3900452-L.jpg

…arriving at about 1815, after 360 miles or so – the best part of 100 on unmade roads – excellent!

3900817-L.jpg

No – don’t get that image in your head…:nono

3907780-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom