Riders in the snow

Cole

Reaction score
Snow riding Russian style. I went out with some Russian guys earlier this week to have a bit of an off-road session in the snow. Its been about -5 in recent days.

4085753998_5ec1a77a07_o.jpg

cutting the tread

of about 12 bikes, only one guy put the studded tyres on. The rest off us decided summer knobblies would be more 'fun'. But there was a lot of knobbly cutting, for a bit more grip.

4084995075_b5652200ac_o.jpg

Ice

Ice in the puddles and ponds was about 3-5cm (1.5 - 2 inches) thick ... an awkward kind of thickness that sometimes holds when you ride over it and sometimes doesnt!

4084997373_39fdb0fb06_o.jpg

Yours truly

The frozen ground was sometimes like hard rutted concrete - super grippy and very quick to impose a line to you, and sometimes like ice, where holding a line is impossible.

4085756792_1ec0e7fe1b_o.jpg

Darkness in the forest

Its getting dark soon after 4:30pm these days around Moscow ... so we ended up winding our way thru the forest in the dark with the pathetic things that pass as headlights on trail bikes.

I was really missing the twin BiXenon set-up I have on my XC.

Here I am on a Honda 450. I rode three different bikes over the 3 days I was out there. A KTM 530, Honda 450 and of course, thanks to familiarity, an XChallenge

4085757050_3fcf0d2d07_o.jpg

Superb photos, Cole. Reallly enjoyed that
How do you find the 450xc ? Is it reliable especially in the cold temperatures?
:D

Superb photos, Cole. Reallly enjoyed that
How do you find the 450xc ? Is it reliable especially in the cold temperatures?
:D

All the bikes were fine in -5. Those guys ride off road regularly down to -20 on stuff as large as an F800gs. None of the bikes have any probs. Just have plenty of antifreeze in the radiators. I know on the XC 10w40 oil is suitable down to -20.

A lot of ice and compacted snow builds up on the rims and spokes throughout the day and it can change the handling a bit.

... And it hurts when you fall on a polished ice road. :censor:

that's hardcore.... does it feel very cold or does your effort ridding keep you warm enough.... all i can think of looking at that is is freezing feet .. any extra clothing to keep you warm and dryish

Body and head didnt feel cold - working too hard. The hands at times got quite chilly. And you dont feel your feet after the first time the boots go thru the ice. Once the boots are filled up with icy water, then thats it for the day in terms of feeling in the feet. Wish I had some seal skinz with me, but sadly I didnt.

that's hardcore.... does it feel very cold or does your effort ridding keep you warm enough.... all i can think of looking at that is is freezing feet .. any extra clothing to keep you warm and dryish

Back
Top Bottom