Broke my 1150

Pete Frost

Reaction score
Coming back from Cornwall this morning on the A30 at a steady 80 ish in top gear and without any warning lost all drive in all gears , pulled up and found a fair ammount of oil dripping from somewhere underneath .
Anyone any ideas of what the prob may be . bike has been fautless and has just turned over 40k miles
Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg ?
Thanks in advance
Pete .

Oil is from around the back of the engine , hard to tell exactly where as it all got a bit blown about , all was well untill it seemed as if the clutch just let go

Loss of drive

Broken drive shaft? clutch /gearbox splines sheared. Sounds expensive if it's that sudden drastic drive loss.

I was speaking to someone the other day that told me about something like this where the interference fit of the drive splines disc in the diff came off it's housing and spun freestyle.

if you remove the starter you should be able to see if the clutch plate circulates with the bike in gear and turning the back wheel - then I guess it's work from the diff forwards. Might be ripped splines on the output shaft. We had to change my mates R1100S gearbox when that happened. To go suddenly is odd though. Was it just on a steady throttle. No sudden force? Not going up hill? No rattling when you came to a halt? Did you pull in the clutch - did that make any difference? If the oil went all over the clutch I don't think it would stop the drive immediately. If the oil was coming out the diff you'd have it all over your rear tyre or at least all flung about in the wheel.

Good luck anyway. You can pick up a 2nd hand box cheap and they only take a day to swap.

thanks for all the ideas so far , shall take a look and see what i can find out tomorrow.. will let you all know how it goes.
strange thing is that it just let go , no nasty noises, just as if the clutch had been disengaged. no rattles or anything like that

I'd keep well clear of that one.£250 is too much,hes not sure if its a GS or GSA box,there is no serial no, and the swingarm thread looks knackered.

The oil suggests a blown seal (either engine or gearbox).New clutch/seal either way. Pricey at a dealer (heard £800 quoted for clutch change) or half that at an independent.Sherlocks sell completes clutch assys for about £160 if you DIY.

A bit more detail would be nice instead of a vague "lost drive and oil leak" :D

Can you still change gear.

Are there any noises with the engine running in neutral ? and are there any noises with ite engine running and in gear ? is there a difference in noise in gear and out of gear ?

Is the oil smelly i.e. gearbox oil. Has the gearbox oil level dropped ?

Can you turn the rear wheel by hand with the bike in gear ?

Sorry if i was a bit vague.
Engine runs fine now , with no abnormal noises
Can select all gears by rotating rear wheel.
Judging by the colour i would say its engine oil but not anywhere as much as i first thought and has not leaked anymore overnight
Gearbox oil level is ok
No abnormal noises whilst rotating rear wheel in any gear an in neutral it all feels as normal
Can rotate rear wheel in all gears with some resistance (guess thats the geartrain)
Clutch lever action feels normal
When it happened i was at a steady 70 ish in top gear an climbing a gentle slope, applied a little more throttle an it was as if i had just disengaged the clutch, no unusual noises , just a rapid rise in engine revs.
Thanks for any help

Sounds like it's stripped the gearbox input shaft/clutch splines, i'm not sure how the engine oil leak comes into that though:nenau

Oil leak from a crankshaft seal could contaminate the clutch and cause very bad clutch slip. This is one of those hard to diagnose faults unless you can see or feel what is going on, but a gearbox off will be the first thing to do.

Sounds like it's stripped the gearbox input shaft/clutch splines, i'm not sure how the engine oil leak comes into that though:nenau

I'd concur with that diagnosis Dr Shep.

Thanks for all the above , they all seem a bit too much for me to deal with so i called the good folk at CWs in Dorchester and Wally has just been and taken it away in the ambulance..
Will keep you posted
Thanks again .Pete

Yep, gearbox input shaft splines are no more

Well I know a good gearbox repair man - ex Wollostons - just rebuilt my box with new bearings for 315 quid. He's up near Nottingham - 10 miles from Jn 14 - just started his own BMW repair business

Just back from picking up my full repaired bike . Settled on a second hand replacement gearbox as most economical repair.
Big thankyou to all at CWs of Dorchester :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom