Zumo 660 - I'm really not liking it!

chapsworth

Reaction score
I've had it a few months now and for what I paid I'm really disappointed.

A few things really bugged me on two recent trips -
1) Instead of getting me to do a simple right hand turn at a T-junction, the Zumo wanted me to go straight over into a small layby containing a few houses, left along the layby for about 50 yards and then turn back out and then along the road as if I had done the right turn in the first place.
2) Going along the A50 on three occasions it directed me to come off at roundabouts and then rejoin!
3) The lane assist occasionally has come up with incorrect signs.

It's just so frustrating! I really want to like it but I just wish I had bought a TomTom.

Simon

I'll do you a favour and give yer £50 for it, despite its problems.

Shep:thumb2

I'll do you a favour and give yer £50 for it, despite its problems.

Shep:thumb2

tight git :rob
i will give £60 simon.:thumb
you know Ive always liked you.

tight git :rob
i will give £60 simon.:thumb
you know Ive always liked you.

You've already got one:nenau

You might say you like him now, but as we know, you are a fickle lover.

Simon, ignore the tart, take the £50 from me and I will always be on your side:thumb2

1) Instead of getting me to do a simple right hand turn at a T-junction, the Zumo wanted me to go straight over into a small layby containing a few houses, left along the layby for about 50 yards and then turn back out and then along the road as if I had done the right turn in the first place.
2) Going along the A50 on three occasions it directed me to come off at roundabouts and then rejoin!

It's just so frustrating! I really want to like it but I just wish I had bought a TomTom.

Simon

Have a look at your road/routing preferences and you should be able to sort it out. Failing that I'll give you £70 :D

Dave

Had the 660 for 4 ish months now having come from a 2610.

I have not had any problems with routing (as you describe above), in fact I don't thnk Ive had any sort of routing issue compared to the 2610. Local knowldge will beat either, but if I ignore that, they've been fine.

Agree above - check your setting, the roundabout problem could be a "shortest route" vs "faster time" issue??

cheers

Markie

PS worth £100 to me as a back up

I had two 2610s that did similar things.
I contacted Garmin and they sent me new ones.
The problem seemed to be that the units were calculating that I was just off the road I was on. This was most evident on a trip back from Ireland where it put me 150 yards into the Irish Sea whilst parked on Anglesey dock.
It would also recalculate the route when I went under a motorway bridge thinking I was on the road I had just passed under. It sounds like you could have a similar problem but on a lesser scale ie it just thinks you are in the wrong lane

Wildbeeste

I hadn't thought of that - poor accuracy could kick up all sorts of funny routing oddities. Good call.

Cheers

Markie

Just a thought ...... could it be due to not selecting the "snap to road" option?

Snap to Road (a.k.a. as Lock to Road)
This is a feature used by all high-end navigation systems to ensure that your position is shown on a road and not a few millimeters next to it, something that most people would consider distracting. The downside to this is that when reception is bad, your GPS position can be too erroneous to enable the program to interpret it correctly and as a result it might get confused and "snap" you to the wrong road and re-route you. I've seen this happen with Destinator (in NMEA mode) but also with Garmin's GPS V standalone unit.
Still this is a feature that's desirable. AFAIK only two programs currently do not implement it, Teletype and Mapopolis

Simon

How about a swop I have a Tom Tom?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have to have a play and try to get used to the damn thing!

I've just got a Zumo 660 and cant find a snap to road option on the unit, I suspect as this is a road navigator its on all the time (hence no option to turn on or off) . If you are suffering from misdirection it could be that your not getting very good satellite reception/lock which is indicated on the front top left as a signal strength bar graph. If it happens again worth its checking that and note the weather conditions as if there's thick dense cloud cover (and or trees) or if the unit hasn't been on long before driving off then it may be still getting the most accurate fix .
With my now old 276c I found if I didn't let it get a good sat lock before moving off it struggled to lock and I often had to stop and let it settle before I could get a good map fix.

"It's simple, Simon.
Sell it and buy a TomTom."

Not so simple:
1. you'd always lose money this way
2. he has invested time and effort to get to know the 660, which would be wasted
3. there is always the hope that future firmware upgrades will improve things

Thus it is entirely reasonable to say (as I do) that I wish I'd bought the tomtom, and yet to stick with my 660.
Even without invoking the "endowment effect"

Back
Top Bottom