An idea to reduce buffeting.

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date

Deleted account W

I’ve read everything I could find on screen mods to improve high speed wind buffeting.

I’ve fitted a large Givi screen, which was an improvement, but still not perfect.

Some people have removed the screen altogether, and report this being good but you lose the weather protection the screen gives.

What I’ve done is take my old original BM screen and cut it down (in half)

I’ve fixed it behind the silver cowling covering the clocks. I plan to try it on its own and with the Givi screen which still fits on the normal mounts. I’m sure the buffeting is caused by the gap between the silver cowling and the screen. My idea wasn’t to improve the look of the bike and I’m not sure if I like it in small screen mode, but if I can get rid of the buffeting I’ll be happy.

Too late tonight to try it out but I’ll give it a few runs up and down a nearby duel carriageway tomorrow, with and without the Givi screen.

3921740-M.jpg

3921742-M.jpg

3921737-M.jpg

3921744-M.jpg

And last a shot with the cut down BM screen and the large Givi screen (still covered in insect bodies after Land End)

3922250-M.jpg

Kev it took you nearly 45 minutes from taking the pictures to posting them up, its just not good enough mate.
When you go out tomorrow watch out for all the shooting on the DUEL carriageway

:D :beerjug: :D

Steptoe said:
Kev it took you nearly 45 minutes from taking the pictures to posting them up, its just not good enough mate.
When you go out tomorrow watch out for all the shooting on the DUEL carriageway

:D :beerjug: :D

Neil, sorry about the time delay, had to watch the final frames of the snooker. By the way the fog light looks pants mate. ;) :thumb

Doesn't look I’m going to be trying the screen mod today, it’s slinging it down. :(

whatton63 said:
Doesn't look I’m going to be trying the screen mod today, it’s slinging it down. :(

best conditions to try it in, you'll be able to SEE where the wind deflection is going. Get out there and do it.

:D :D

Steptoe said:
best conditions to try it in, you'll be able to SEE where the wind deflection is going. Get out there and do it.
:D :D

Equally good weather to try out your new fog light Neil, everyone loves the distracting glow of the vehicle in fronts fog lights in the rain. ;) :thumb

whatton63 said:
Equally good weather to try out your new fog light Neil, everyone loves the distracting glow of the vehicle in fronts fog lights in the rain. ;) :thumb

this is the best time of year to fit fog lights, it came into its own this morning, sitting in london traffic, visability can be bad up the Strand .

:D ;) :D

buffeting

The guillotine use to be a great thing to reduce people down to size and avoid the above

An interesting idea, But .................. have you used a sealant between the screen and "silver thingy" as water running down the screen, as it does, will now be channeled behind said "silver thingy" and all those expensive clocks guages etc will get a good soaking?

Roger Walton said:
An interesting idea, But .................. have you used a sealant between the screen and "silver thingy" as water running down the screen, as it does, will now be channeled behind said "silver thingy" and all those expensive clocks guages etc will get a good soaking?
The clocks are in sealed white pods, cables entering them have rubber seals.

If you look at the gap around the headlamps this allows water to be driven straight into the area behind the clocks. They’re designed to get a good soaking.

So I've no worries about a bit more running down the screen when the bikes stationary. On the move there won't be any at all.

If this is a load of bollox and my clocks pack up the first time it rains, you have permission to say I told you so.

Cheers,
Kev

Buffeting

Why not try some tobinator's, worked for me and just about everyone else. Top product.
Cheers Dave

whatton63 said:
The clocks are in sealed white pods, cables entering them have rubber seals.

If you look at the gap around the headlamps this allows water to be driven straight into the area behind the clocks. They’re designed to get a good soaking.

So I've no worries about a bit more running down the screen when the bikes stationary. On the move there won't be any at all.

If this is a load of bollox and my clocks pack up the first time it rains, you have permission to say I told you so.

Cheers,
Kev

Just a thought, let me know how it goes on, perhaps a bead of selant allowed to dry to give a seal might be a belt and braces approach. I have a spare screen that I was thinking of cutting down, this could be an alternative for the summer.

Not sure the silver board will sustain the wind pressure, its only held on with two screws and two hooks, hope i'm wrong and wait to hear you Test Report.
Cheers
Brian.

Perhaps..

You could paint the GS black.

This will remove the possibility of it being fast enough to get any buffeting.

It may even create a vacuum.

??:D

Re: Perhaps..

Tokoloshe said:
You could paint the GS black.

This will remove the possibility of it being fast enough to get any buffeting.

Excellent !!!!!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom