Where to go in Southern UK ??

Mike Werner

Cloggie amongst Frogs
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning to come over with a (french) mate and our respective wifes on thursday 20th may until sunday 23rd to the UK. We'll be coming over by ferry in Newhaven.

Where should be go for a nice ride. And where should we stay (reasonably comfortable) ??

We can't go to far since my mate is driving a LT so he can't go too far :D

Any nice places to visit down south ??? Nice roads ?? Nice Hotels ?? Nice Girls??

Overload

I think the lack of response is due to two factors; first, no-one can believe you are trading the open roads of France for the most crowded section of this sceptered isle, secondly, gis a clue what you want to do ? i.e. bike related, shopping, sights, history ....

My only tip is before boarding the ferry on way home, stop at Beachy Head and walk at least part of the Seven Sisters clifftop route. Cafe & Car Park at the top.

Mike, give up on the SE and travel over from your local port of Le Havre to Portsmouth. You can then travel West through Dorset and on into Devon. If you fancy this, get in touch and i'll give you some more info on routes etc. If it's on my days off i can meet up and show you around too.

Mike Werner said:
I'm planning to come over with a (french) mate and our respective wifes on thursday 20th may until sunday 23rd to the UK. We'll be coming over by ferry in Newhaven.

Where should be go for a nice ride. And where should we stay (reasonably comfortable) ??

We can't go to far since my mate is driving a LT so he can't go too far :D

Any nice places to visit down south ??? Nice roads ?? Nice
Hotels ?? Nice Girls??

Coming over to check out an escape from the pending Drivers Licence Problems Mike...............;)

CC

:cool:

Madmountainman said:
Mike, give up on the SE and travel over from your local port of Le Havre to Portsmouth. You can then travel West through Dorset and on into Devon. If you fancy this, get in touch and i'll give you some more info on routes etc. If it's on my days off i can meet up and show you around too.

Mike I agree with the above. Devon is a great place ride around dartmoor and exmoor. Stay in nice villages such as chagford. Enjoy fairly open roads.

Thanks guys. I decided for Dieppe Newhaven because I've already down Wales from top to bottom, and the Le Havre ferry takes too long. The Dieppe Newhaven takes 2 hours and leaves at a civilised time. Here what I've got planned briefly.

Thu. Arrive 14:00

Drive along coastline Newhaven - Brighton - Worthing - Middleton on Sea - Chichester - South Haling - and then overnight in Portsmouth

Fri.

Fareham - Southampton - Hythe - through the forest to Lyming - Christchurch - Bournemouth - Poole - Wareham - Weymouth - Portland Harbour - Dorchester - Ferndown - Ringwood - and via the outskirts of the New Forst head for Salisbury and overnight there.

Sat.

Andover - Winchester - Basingstoke - Farnham - Godalming - Guildford - Dorking - Reigate - Horley - Crawley - Haywards Heath - Burgess Hill - Lewes - overnight in Eastbourne

Sun

Bum around until ferry time...

How's that ?? Feasible ? Boring ?? Dangerous ? Will we be stuck in traffic jams ??

Mike Werner said:
Fri.

Fareham - Southampton - Hythe - through the forest to Lyming - Christchurch - Bournemouth - Poole - Wareham - Weymouth - Portland Harbour - Dorchester - Ferndown - Ringwood - and via the outskirts of the New Forst head for Salisbury and overnight there.

Mike. I don't know if you only want to ride, or take some time out to look at places on the way?
You might want to consider taking a small detour between Lymington and Christchurch via Bashley and go visit the Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum . Definitely worth a visit.. bikes are well displayed and it's a nice setting.

MasterDabber said:
Mike. I don't know if you only want to ride, or take some time out to look at places on the way?
You might want to consider taking a small detour between Lymington and Christchurch via Bashley and go visit the Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum . Definitely worth a visit.. bikes are well displayed and it's a nice setting.

COOL !! It's on the agenda now.

And no, we'll be stopping regularly to take in the sights, lunch, etc. Wasn't planning to ride more than 4 hours per day.

Bumming around

On your bumming around day, don't forget the Seven Sisters, easy walks 5 mins from Eastbourne and en-route to the ferry.

ps - don't bum around in Brighton

Where to go in Southern UK ??

It'll be a great trip, provided its not pissing down and you keep to 'B' roads and its not the weekend.

Southern England in good weather and clear, 3d roads is heaven on Earth.

However, if its pissing down, full of traffic and you're stuck in a jam somewhere - its pretty crap.
Don't even think about doing anything if its a bank holiday w/e.

heres to a good one

Phil

On your way back to Eastbourne the road down through Birling Gap and up over Beachy Head, the B 2103, is a good one on a nice day

Don't forget Stonehenge.

......and when you get there don't forget to say "It's a lot smaller than I imagined it "

Lol

Re: Bumming around

oblertone said:
On your bumming around day, don't forget the Seven Sisters, easy walks 5 mins from Eastbourne and en-route to the ferry.

ps - don't bum around in Brighton

It's on the agenda, specially since Sunday is a wait day. Thanks.

Why not bum around Brighton ???

LOLGEOFF said:
On your way back to Eastbourne the road down through Birling Gap and up over Beachy Head, the B 2103, is a good one on a nice day

Don't forget Stonehenge.

......and when you get there don't forget to say "It's a lot smaller than I imagined it "

Lol

Ohh very good !! Stonehenge, didn't know it was around there. Good one. Thanks !

Hi Mike

Would you be interested in a couple of suggested .mps routes for a GPS? If we stick to your overall agenda, perhaps we could send you good bits to try? I could probably do you a couple of good routes for the beginning and end of the trip, perhaps someone else could suggest routes for the middle bit? I'm about half an hour's (fast) ride from Newhaven, about an hour if you want some scenic detours. From me to Portsmouth is 1 hours fast ride, about 3-4 if you want to stop and see things.

Coming back from Andover - there might be a more interesting route than you suggested. Happy to repay the hospitality you extended in Normandy a few yesrs ago (in the old R1200C days!).
Paul

Re: Hi Mike

Paulf said:
Would you be interested in a couple of suggested .mps routes for a GPS? If we stick to your overall agenda, perhaps we could send you good bits to try? I could probably do you a couple of good routes for the beginning and end of the trip, perhaps someone else could suggest routes for the middle bit? I'm about half an hour's (fast) ride from Newhaven, about an hour if you want some scenic detours. From me to Portsmouth is 1 hours fast ride, about 3-4 if you want to stop and see things.

Coming back from Andover - there might be a more interesting route than you suggested. Happy to repay the hospitality you extended in Normandy a few yesrs ago (in the old R1200C days!).
Paul

Hi Paul,

didn't know you were here as well. Small world.... yeah, great, I'm using a Garmin for the planning.....

Mike,

The roads round here are generally pretty crowded. If you want to keep in with the wife then Brighton is an excellent place to spend a few hours. Wander round the North Laines and the Lanes for "female friendly" shopping.

If you intend to be over near Eastbourne then go and visit Steve Wessons cafe and bike clothing shop in the High Street, Horam (about 10 miles North of Eastbourne). He's closed on Mondays and Tuesdays btw.

The road from Ringmer-Laughton is great. PM me if you want any other details.

Cheers

Dick

ps ignore the homophobic elements on this board - Brighton is a fantastic place to spend some time in

guitarman said:
Mike,

The roads round here are generally pretty crowded. If you want to keep in with the wife then Brighton is an excellent place to spend a few hours. Wander round the North Laines and the Lanes for "female friendly" shopping.

If you intend to be over near Eastbourne then go and visit Steve Wessons cafe and bike clothing shop in the High Street, Horam (about 10 miles North of Eastbourne). He's closed on Mondays and Tuesdays btw.

The road from Ringmer-Laughton is great. PM me if you want any other details.

Cheers

Dick

ps ignore the homophobic elements on this board - Brighton is a fantastic place to spend some time in

Last thing I want is to loose the 2 females on a shopping spree :p Need to avoid it since it'll be the beginning of the trip.

Now on the other hand, the bike shop is much more interesting... are they opened on Sunday ??? (that's when we're in Eastbourne).

Back
Top Bottom