Mityvac brake bleeding jobbie

Deleted account 231211001

Reaction score
This has got to be the best device I have ever owned!!!! Really, it's that good.

I have 4 bikes all with hydraulic brakes.

With the Mityvac, I have changed the brake fluid in 3 of the bikes in less than one hour!

Take off the lid of the brake fluid reservoir:
Assemble the Mityvac thus: attach the hand pump pistol grip to a short length of tube, conect that to the catch tank, then from the catch tank to the bleed nipple with another, longer length of tube. Squeeze the pistol grip to create a vaccuum, then crack open the bleed nipple!

Keep pumping the pistol grip to keep the vacuum going as long as there's either old pish coloured fluid coming through or there's no more air bubbles, then nip up the bleed nipple. (Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir or you'll be sucking air through in no time!)

Feckin magic and done in seconds without poncing about pumping brake levers and /or pedals.

If you don't buy anything else for your DIY garage kit, buy one of these!

Attachments

• mityvac.jpg
    mityvac.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 473
I found that when you vac out the lines, that most of the air is coming from the bleed nipple thread (when it is slackened off)

A piece of chewing gum (used) around the top of the nipple, prevents the air getting in :rob

Al :)

PTFE tape on the threads, both stops air getting in and also helps to stop the nipple seizing through corrosion :thumb

PTFE tape on the threads, both stops air getting in and also helps to stop the nipple seizing through corrosion :thumb

An old engineer told me a long time ago that PTFE tape actually stretches and deforms threads, especially in the relatively 'soft' materials used in breaking systems!?

I don't know how true it is, but consequently I have never used it in any breaking system; I'm happy to use it elsewhere though :thumb2

If you wind the tape on in the correct direction for tightening the nipple, then it unwinds/shreds when you slacken it off.

There is always the chance that you will suck in the shredded ptfe when you vac out the lines.

when you use a mityvac, just ignore the bubbles, all the air comes out of the system anyway.

if you change the fluid at the recommended intervals the nipples are unlikely to seize.

no need for ptfe tape or chewing gum :)

With the Mityvac, I have changed the brake fluid in 3 of the bikes in less than one hour!

Feckin magic and done in seconds without poncing about pumping brake levers and /or pedals.

!

Seconds, hour !!!! make your mind up - :D

when you use a mityvac, just ignore the bubbles, all the air comes out of the system anyway.

if you change the fluid at the recommended intervals the nipples are unlikely to seize.

no need for ptfe tape or chewing gum :)

How can you ignore the bubbles? You don't know if they have come out the system, or in through the threads?? :nenau

if you stick some chuddy or the likes around the outside of the nipple - you extract the minimum of oil from the system, and know that all the air is out.

How can you ignore the bubbles? You don't know if they have come out the system, or in through the threads?? :nenau

if you stick some chuddy or the likes around the outside of the nipple - you extract the minimum of oil from the system, and know that all the air is out.

you know when the air is out of the system because the lever goes hard.

IIRC the mityvac manual acknowledges the likely presence of bubbles in the tube, but tells you to ignore them.

i don't want to minimise the amount of fluid used. i want to change it completely, and flush any crap out of the system.

Fair enough - I was thinking more about purging.

I'd still seal the threads on the nipple, mind - just the engineer in me:)

Al :thumb2

Be realistic - it's not that good.

Mine hasn't been out the box in 2 years. The old fashioned method of using the levers works just as well and is as quick. And on the servo bikes they have their own electric pumps :D

What about the time taken time taken to clean it all up after use :rolleyes:

Be realistic - it's not that good.

Mine hasn't been out the box in 2 years. The old fashioned method of using the levers works just as well and is as quick. And on the servo bikes they have their own electric pumps :D

What about the time taken time taken to clean it all up after use :rolleyes:

admittedly there is the cleaning issue, but if you've ever tried bleeding some guzzi linked systems, you'd find the mityvac a <s>life</s> sanity saver.

i'm pretty quick at cleaning them too now :)

It does help on the hydraulic clutches if you've broken into the system.

I've had one for years and it is the only thing that managed to bleed the front system on my Suzuki Katana (with anti dive) effectively enough to have an efficient brake with feel.
Has worked very well on other cars and bikes as well especially when fitting new lines to an empty system when your on your own without an assistant to pump the brakes .

Like Neil W above, I have had one for several years and am confident in its brake fluid use eg 1150 fluid change, 1200 ABS unit change etc.
Steptoe, whats "time taken time taken to clean it all up after use" thingy? Its waste fluid that comes out so why would you want to clean it?

Last edited:
Bought one earlier this year to bleed the new hoses on my blackbird. Couldn't have done the job without it.

Agree with ptfe on the threads, just enough though, it doesn't need much and then won't upset the threads.

But also agree that the old fashioned way still works, so it won't get much use over the years.

Back
Top Bottom