North Wales

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If any of you off roaders would ever like to be shown some fantastic legal routes up in Snowdonia give me a shout and I'll lead a ride for you, but and of course this is a big BUT, I won't be on a GS.
Tim (Anglesey)

Yes Tim, I'd be interested. I'll let you know a suitable date (sometime before the snow's too deep!)

To involve more members:
Could you find trails doable on a GS? (with road based tyres) Even if they were few and far between. I bet there'd be members willing to have a ride around the spectacular roads of Snowdonia with an occassional easy 'off road diversion' thrown in. Just a thought.

Ride safely………

Tim

I am interested.

but.......I want to wear the Tourances out before changing to TKC 80's so Pauls road tyre oriented trails would be good for a starter if at all possible.

Tim

It's a hard life

Well I think there could be a lot of interest in a road biased ride aroud Snowdonia's lanes so today began my 'feasability study' on a TTR 600 with road tyres. So far so good with a new, for me, fairly legal long Roman road with fantasic views added.

I have a suitable route comming together for an easyish to moderate ride, which for relative newcomers to rocky tracks etc would be a ride to be remembered for life, and a hard route which could be an absolute b******d on a GS even with Caterpillar tracks, particularly in the wet.
Both routes would have some sort of 'bail out' diversion option on the tricky bits (in addition to sod this for a lark I'm going to the pub).

It may be that many riders would benefit from taking part in the easier of the two routes but perhaps are too scaredy pants to look in the off road section.

Tim (Anglesey)

Dates?

IT master

How about end of Oct early Nov, would like to keep the group down to around 6-8ish and do more dates if there is interest.

Tim

Suggestion

Tim,

Have you had a look around the Rhyd Ddu area? Travelling from Beddgelert to Rhud Ddu on the left there's a gravelled entrance leading to a gate wide enough to take cars but it's locked. There is however a gap next to the gate wide enough to get a bike through. The tracks beyond there are all gravelled and you can gain some decent altitude too. Fantastic terrain.

BUT, I'm not sure whether riding motorbikes up there is allowed. Probably not as the gate's locked. I used to do it though on my KLX650 and once you're up in the mountain you're basically out of sight. I guess the biggest problem could be someone spotting 4,5 or 6 bikes waiting to get through the gap next to the gate.

You could have a look on your TTR.

Good suggestion

Muddy, thanks for that suggestion. I have just got back from a ride around that area on the GS, I know exactly where you mean, in fact once went headfirst over the handle bars of my mountain bike there, much to the delight of my son.
That area is definately not legal, there is an old RuPP nearby which runs over the worlds grumpiest farmer's land so we don't really use it. But I will check it out again, the views of Snowdon and Nantle Ridge from there are great.
Tim

Dates at last

Ok guys here the plan.

Friday 1st November, meet at my place for the night on Anglesey (grid ref. SH 504 822). I'll make sure there is enough food, beds etc. but bring a sleeping bag.

Sat. 2nd Nov. Starting at 8.30ish from Anglesey we'll go for a ride!

Stop at a cafe somewhere for lunch, but bring water and a little to eat.

We finish either when it's dark or we are too knackered to carry on.

Sat. evening, all welcome to stay at my place again, perhaps a visit to the pub would be in order or I'll do some food and we visit the off licence.

I have not planned an exact route because that never seems to work, but in order to have a rough outline of where to go I will need the following information:

What bike you will be on and what tyres you have fitted.
What, if any, previous offroad experience you have.

So as not to disappoint any 'hardcore' offroadies I don't envisage this as being a difficult ride at all, mainly back lanes linking easy to moderate tracks and lanes with no mud but we could incorporate some 'challenges' for some whilst the rest spectate!. The weather will dictate parts of the route and we may only go so far along some lanes if anyone is not happy (or we just **** off and leave them there). :D

Phone me on 01248 853994 mobile 07967301096 or e-mail direct
to confirm your place or ask any questions.

It'll be good fun.

Tim (Anglesey)

Postponed

Sorry guys but due to a number of unforseen circumstances the ride planned for next weekend, 1/2 Nov, will have to be postponed to a future date.
If anyone has suggestions for a suitable date we could do a ride around tarmaced backlanes of Snowdonia. All doable on oilheads with road tyres.
Tim (Anglesey)

wales

Hi Tim,
I would love to do some off roading in wales,not bothered about how easy or hard you want to make it,ill have a go at anything,I have loads of off road experience,raced motoX and enduro's for 10years getting to expert class in the eastern centre,but retired from that in 96,but it's still in my blood,but like paul W said in an earlier reply if you can keep the trails easy you would get more interest from members who are not use to off roading but would like to give it a go on a GS,when you get some more dates let us know cheers Andy. :)

I'd be up for a proper off-road ride on the Honda XR in Nov/DeC/Jan
Cheers for the offer-Tim

Hey Jimbo .
Hope that's just the off-roading!!
How were Bathroom duties over the w/end.
Got the Bike sorted - managed to get the rear wheel torqued up -Jon Hunter came round yesterday and gave me a hand.

the law...

....girlfriends mother [lives in Beaumaris, Anglesey] told her that the police are really hassling bikers in N.Wales area and BMF are asking all riders to note when, where etc?
Have you heard/had any of this Tim?:confused:

Re. the law

Yes the law are pretty hot on sports bikes in many areas of North Wales, loud pipes, small plates, black visor, hey this is me!
Lots of mobile speed traps, helicopters, unmarked cars, Russian gas cannisters etc.

I try to keep away from the hot spots of 'law enforcement' on Sundays.
On trail bikes with loud pipes, small and muddy number plates, Nobbly tyres, generally grotty looking we don't seem to get much grief from them, although parked up outside a cafe in Betw y Coed on a busy Sunday amongst shiny sports bikes and guys dressed to look like a tube of toothpaste we do get a lot of attention/interest.

I think that if you look as though you are deliberately flouting the law here then expect to get a pull. There are, after all a lot brilliant roads to ride and many have unforgiving dry stone walls, sheep, tourists and any number of hazards which do contribute to the high number of accidents.

So I suppose it's no better or worse than other great biking areas in the UK.

Beaumaris is 10 minutes ride from my place, lovely place, in fact IMHO best town in the area.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom