Trailing through Oregon

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
5th May

Don't kow what time I woke, but it felt early. Head was aching a bit - hmm - six pack - it's all coming back to me...:p. Overall, the cyber-dumping was a positive thing. I've known it was on the cards for a while and I'm convinced that this was a major factor in my recent depression. I feel fine.

I pack the bike and set course for Crater Lake National Park, some 150 miles north west. I'd planned to spend the night at Jorge Carbo's, but, having spoken to Mark at the parts counter at Chicago BMW and found that they're only despatching my service bits today, I've contacted Jorge and suggested I delay my arrival by a day.

3993475-L.jpg

The 140 is an uninvolving, but pretty, ride. The countryside is becoming more mountainous, as I gradually travel further north west. The coniferous forests here differ from those in the UK in sheer size - not only the area they cover, but the age and size of the trees themselves - they're huge...

I fill up at Klamath Falls, and spot this, ahem, unique form of transport at the next pump...

3993477-L.jpg

As I approach the turn off to the southern entrance to Crater Lake (I was assured at the service station that all entrances are open), I notice that, in several places in the woods, there were railway trucks (actually guards vans - called 'cabooses' here, I believe) set on short lengths of rail. I came across the entrance to the Train Mountain Railroad - a private club. Hmmm...

3993478-L.jpg

I press north and soon turn left off the 97 onto the 138 - to find...

3993481-L.jpg

...that the North entrance is still the domain of the snowmobiler :( - bugger!

Still, the scenery is pretty - I ride around some of the loops off the resort lake...

3993485-L.jpg

3993489-L.jpg

3993490-L-1.jpg

Before continuing towards Springfield, where I intend to stop for the night. The 58 takes me north west, through more coniferous and, at lower altitudes, deciduous forests...

3993500-L-1.jpg

...and along the side of Lookout Point Lake...

3993494-L-1.jpg

...before I arrive at the Best Western at Springfield.

3998720-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom